Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: coasternut and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby RaceBoarder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:11 pm

coasterbill wrote:
thrillrider wrote:See Bill, that's an issue I have. Just because I'm an enthusiast and pass holder, does that justify the bad operations

Again, I don’t disagree that it’s not acceptable. That’s not what I’m saying.

I’m saying that when this continues to happen year after year after year (see your post from last year that I just linked to) at some point you need to adjust your expectations or vote with your wallet and stop going. If enthusiasts who should know better keep going and keep acting surprised by this at some point it becomes partially on them.

I really have to wonder how many people are speaking with their wallets though... I mean, you figure for every 1 of us (enthusiasts) there are 10-15 "GP'ers"...

Those are the people that will rip Guest Services a new one with an experience like ThrillRider's. But the parks are still packed to insane levels, so why should parks raise payroll? It's just flushing profit down the toilet if they are not losing guests because of unsatisfactory experiences. I honestly don't believe that the public has spoken with their wallets yet, so parks will keep on moving forward with the current plan.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:19 pm

This definitely came up in the beginning of the year also, but finding workers is not easy right now for many employers. It's not just a Cedar Point issue, it's happening everywhere in our society right now.
Last edited by FeelTheFORCE on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:25 pm.
Last Coaster Ridden: Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion on August 24, 2018.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Some comments about Halloweekends on Sunday:

The weakest of all the years we have been so far.

The parade song got stuck in my head in a loop at 4pm.

Please get rid of Zombie high already. Please. Oh and why did you remove the jock straps :-P

I don't understand the point of "lights-out" hexed when it has great visuals... and the fact you have Deprivation, another dark house, across the park...

Longest line for a house was 10 minutes for FreakShow, and the rest were shorter, so that was a plus, like it always is the first Sunday. Deprivation opened a little after 3 so we waited 10 min for that to open. No communication though, and no signs to get back there for that matter.

Maverick's camera was all messed up... lol

I did enjoy my 3 rides on Steel Vengeance and my very small $12 raspberry electric lemonade.

Waited 10 minutes for Miss Keets smokehouse, which is my usual go-to as I have the dining plan, it is air conditioned, and most of the time I have gone the line isn't bad. There was an abbreviated menu, as mentioned above.

I did Raptor and Millennium Force for early entry with 0-3 minute waits, we pretty much stayed in Frontier town the entire rest of the day until the haunts opened so I'm not sure how lines were around the park. Maverick had a line across the bridge, but not in the beginning switchbacks. Still pretty long even at the tail end of early entry. I didn't ride a lot of the other majors on this visit, but it was definitely more crowded than any other "First Sunday" we've done for Halloweekends. At least the haunts that started at 3 had no waits for us and we were out of the park by 5p for the drive home.

OH!!! I almost forgot. So there are two camouflaged/hidden plants in the eery estate house, but rather than just saying "boo" or making a sound, they yelled out "PHOTOSYNTHESIS!" and "Top Soil!". I found that entertaining, at least...

Felt bad for those that bought FRIGHT Lane... especially now that they nixed the skeleton key rooms...

So overall I had a great time but the actors and haunts were severely lacking and they seem to go more downhill each year. Not just because it's more repetitious, but the employees make or break the haunts and they were definitely broken this time around.

Back in 2014 I thought the event was amazing and way above average. Now I'd put it in the needs improvement category.
Last edited by anonymouscactus on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:42 pm.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby WolfBobs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:25 pm

RaceBoarder wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
thrillrider wrote:See Bill, that's an issue I have. Just because I'm an enthusiast and pass holder, does that justify the bad operations

I’m saying that when this continues to happen year after year after year (see your post from last year that I just linked to) at some point you need to adjust your expectations or vote with your wallet and stop going. If enthusiasts who should know better keep going and keep acting surprised by this at some point it becomes partially on them.

I really have to wonder how many people are speaking with their wallets though... I mean, you figure for every 1 of us (enthusiasts) there are 10-15 "GP'ers"...

I think you're giving "enthusiasts" way too much credit here. For every 1 enthusiast I would say there is probably 1000-2000 members of the "GP."

For every 1 obnoxious, foul smelling,entitled enthusiast its probably more like 1 for every 5,000.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HavenHamilton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Not sure which Cedar Point some of these last posts were talking about, but we had a blast last Friday and Sunday at the Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.

The park was beautiful, the haunts were fun, the rides had mostly short lines, and the food carts scattered throughout the bottom half of the park were a welcome addition. To put it simply, we had fun.

Now we didn't go Saturday, but any quick search in this forum would have told you to avoid Saturday.

Steel Vengeance was a wild ride, but Maverick is still #1 in my heart. Thanks to all you guys for convincing me to hit up Sky Ride, Cedar Downs, and the museum. The park has some real hidden gems if you look past the amazing coasters.

And thanks for the Magnum seatbelt trick.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby trainplane3 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm

I was there this past weekend (Friday, Saturday, left Sunday morning) as well. Overall, it was a blast. Lines were great Friday night (as usual) and shorter on Saturday when we compared them to going last October. We did Magnum, TTD, and then Magnum two more times in a half hour starting around 11.

The new band on the midway was pretty great. Definitely a nice addition this year.

The outdoor haunts were definitely weaker this year. It's probably all related to staffing but I still took note of them:
- Bayou was a favorite of ours for the past 3 years and this year a good chunk of lighting was out and there was a noticeable lack of "screamsters". Also, a lot of standing around and no attempts to scare us or groups around us. Weakest one by far this year.
- Trail of the Forsaken was short when the previous haunts (Screamworks and Fright Zone) went the full length of Frontier Trail. The regular screamsters (which there were plenty of) weren't doing much at all but the sliding ones and one with the horn were on their game.
- Harvest Fear was alright. It never stuck out to us too much in the past but it's fun one that doesn't need many staff to make it good thanks to all the booths to look at (even if they only take 5 seconds of our time).
- Tombstone Terror-tory was fun. A lot of fun interactions even if they weren't scaring us. (No sir, we don't want to buy your horse!)
- Cut Throat Cove...wow. Simply the best this year. In past years it was pretty average but this year, every single screamster was on point. My group (5 of us) got "spooked" a good 3 times each, every time we went through.
- Skipped CornStalkers since we only saw one screamster last year and there was a line this year. Paired with the obvious staffing issues, skipping seemed like a good idea.

Well worth the trip and we'll probably do HalloWeekends in September again next year, maybe the second weekend though. Probably won't do late October again.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby thepoint4life23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

Has anyone notices this Last Coffin thing on the Cedar Point Site. Has anyone done this yet?
https://www.cedarpoint.com/halloweekends/haunt/attractions/frontier-fling-buried-alive
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 am

thepoint4life23 wrote:Has anyone notices this Last Coffin thing on the Cedar Point Site. Has anyone done this yet?
https://www.cedarpoint.com/halloweekends/haunt/attractions/frontier-fling-buried-alive

I saw it on the website but have no idea what it is, but $10 sky coaster tickets....yes please.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DamienConnelley » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

thepoint4life23 wrote:Has anyone notices this Last Coffin thing on the Cedar Point Site. Has anyone done this yet?

They added it to my location so I had the chance to do it (and operate/supervise a coffin lol). If you're claustrophobic, I think it will very much play with your mind. Otherwise, I think its simply and cool fun experience. It basically takes you from wake to burial, with a variety of effects, smells and movements to make you feel like you're moving in a hearse and getting buried 6 feet under.

People seemed to really enjoy the $15 combo deal this weekend that includes the coffin and Frontier Fling.
Cedar Point Ride Operations
(2016) Gemini
(2017) Gemini: Team Leader
(2018) PD's Frontier Fling & The Last Ride Coffin Experience: Location Supervisor

Postby prozach626 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

coasterbill wrote:

Bill, just accept the fact that some people aren't happy unless they're bitching. I have no idea why enthusiasts subject themselves to the same circumstances every year and expect a different outcome. Numerous alternatives have been suggested, but no one listens. There's always some kind of road block in front of the logical choice.

It's better to just sit back, relax, and watch people rage out.

PreviousNext