Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: jonlocke and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Milkchan » Thu May 17, 2007 4:56 pm

^^
Not really, quiet a few roller coaster bank into inversions.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby kraxleRIDAH » Thu May 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Thom25 wrote:I wonder if the CF agreement with Intamin calls for a coaster with three (3) inversions. If it does, we may see it return during the off season, or some compensation be give to CF. (food for thought).

A third inversion will not find a place on Maverick without additional extensive modifactions to the current ride -- which I doubt the park is considering. A lot of resources and time has been lost just for this one modification. Maverick will have two inversions, and will stay that way.

A lot of you keep forgetting that this modification process is a pricey one and has cost Cedar Point a good month's worth of Maverick operation. While it is more than gauranteed the modification is being done for free by IntaRide, it's still an embarassment to the park. Good thing Cedar Point has held their ground and is doing the best they can to get this problem fixed.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ATM » Thu May 17, 2007 5:03 pm

I'm sad that the coaster got delayed but as long as it opens early june I'm fine with it. The pictures of it look awesome, and I can't wait to ride it, I don't think it will be the best coaster in the park that title belongs to raptor but I think it is a very nice addition to the already 16 great coasters in the park. I do wish that cedar point would add a floorless coaster, but time will tell.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Thom25 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Kraxle, that was my point. The modification process is VERY expensive AND CP has certainly lost revenue and credality due to a significant mistake by Intamin.

Being in sales myself, I have worked on/sold many significant legal agreements between multi billion dollar companies. I strongly suspect Intamin will be held to the "fire" with this one leaving them two (2) options imo.

1) Reconfigure the ride at Intamin's cost for next year adding the third loop.
2) Reimburse CP for the loss of revenue and embarrassment.

Something will happen behind the scenes and hope we find out (come on Screamscape).

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby asr » Thu May 17, 2007 5:10 pm

kraxleRIDAH wrote:
steel wrote:Before the whining starts: you can tell that this will be a highly banked S-curve and it will be taken at a high speed. Not quite as delicious as a heartline, but it's still going to be awesome.

coasterdude5 wrote:Yeah, but the S-Curve will probably be better than just a flat piece of track.

Or so you would think. Storm Runner's S-curve slams riders' heads from one side of the harness to the other. Ow. I can't imagine how much more painful that would be at the speed Maverick's trains will be taking that curve. Maybe a flat-section would've been better off.

What people don't seem to realize, is that immediatly after the heartline roll, there is a slight left hand curve leading into the first stengel dive. This is just a change of banking heading into that curve.

What really sucks is that they seemed to have enough room to signifigantly extend the roll, but for whatever reason didn't. You can really see here and here just how much room they had that just didn't utilize. I mean, would you rather have a completly nuetered Maverick open early june, or a Maverick with an extended heartline roll open later this summer?

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Thom25 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:15 pm

I think we'll see a neutered Maverick open very soon, and hope the return to Maverick's original design with a modified hearline next year. (At Intamin's cost of course).

You bring up an excellent point that there is a ton of room to elongate the heartline. But suspect inorder to do that - major design modifications and totally new footers would need to be installed throughout that area of the ride. They would never be able to do that and open this year.

Tom

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Torrey61 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:27 pm

So is maverick the first roller coaster of it's kind to have a 95 degree drop? i guess i'm not to clear on that detail.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 pm

^ No, I know that there are a few that go beyond 90 degrees.
Apollos Chariot #1!

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu May 17, 2007 5:31 pm

^First Intamin with 95* drop

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby itsme102 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:39 pm

I know that heartline roll seemed painful, but having been on Storm Runner, the s-curve doesn't seem like a good replacement. I slammed against the headrest enough on that one at lower speeds, imagine it at 70 MPH?
This is my sig.....yup.....

PreviousNext