Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: Pedrinho and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Only 1/2 CP fanboy

Postby CP_RULES » Thu May 17, 2007 4:00 pm

jamesdillaman wrote:I love it! Think of how great an S-curve will be.

YEA! I mean, its not like the ride doesn't already have two or anything.... :roll:

I'm a little sad the roll is going, but the ride will still be great, right?
-Justin Seabaugh -Official Brake Fanboy
M-I-Z-Z-O-U ENGINEERING Go Tigers!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby asr » Thu May 17, 2007 4:08 pm

CP_RULES wrote:
jamesdillaman wrote:I love it! Think of how great an S-curve will be.

YEA! I mean, its not like the ride doesn't already have two or anything.... :roll:

I'm a little sad the roll is going, but the ride will still be great, right?

Probably. And look at it this way, you will be upside down if you tilt your head far enough to the side :lolr:

¡Vamos a Seis Banderas!

Postby pvcoasterguy » Thu May 17, 2007 4:14 pm

PKI ManJZ wrote:
Homer wrote:Darnit, my expectations for Maverick have been lowered even more. :(

Yup! :cry:

Oh, I'm so sorry. Why don't all of you just boycott Cedar Point and Intamin because they changed what you wanted.

Perhaps if you realized that Intamin designs rides for the park and general public, not you, you would realize that this change in design is quite necessary. It's one small element that is being changed. Just ONE! I'm pretty sure that it's not going to have an unmanageably high effect on the ride itself.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby cprocks22 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:32 pm

ginzo wrote:
PKI ManJZ wrote:
Homer wrote:Darnit, my expectations for Maverick have been lowered even more. :(

Yup! :cry:

Pfft. Having actually seen the ride testing, I still think it'll easily be their best ride.

Agreed, and i haven't even seen the ride testing. While I'm not sure if it will be THE best (I still love Millie ::D ) but I am sure it will be one of the best in the park.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu May 17, 2007 4:40 pm

pvcoasterguy wrote:It's one small element that is being changed. Just ONE! I'm pretty sure that it's not going to have an unmanageably high effect on the ride itself.

I disagree. Although it obviously won't ruin the entire ride experience, it is definitely a BIG change. In fact, it was what I was most looking forward to on the ride.

Think about it. When parks market a ride, on a t-shirt for instance, what do you commonly see? Something to the effect of:

Maverick
*Cedar Point's 17th roller coaster
* Featuring a 95 degree first drop
* two horseshoe inversions
* a 70mph launch tunnel
* a high speed heartline roll
* etc, etc.

See what I'm getting at? You're losing a major component here. A high speed S curve doesn't exactly convey the same effect. Sure, it'll still be fun, but when you look at some of the polls created in here, one of the highest rated elements is always the zero-g/heartline roll.

And considering where this particular one was to be located (close to the ground, and between huge rocks) I definitely think it would have been a great rush. Oh well. Like I said, I'll still ride it, and it'll still be fun, but I am somewhat disappointed with this news.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Milkchan » Thu May 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Did Cedar Point order the coaster or was it just one of many draft designs for the parks new coaster?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby kraxleRIDAH » Thu May 17, 2007 4:45 pm

steel wrote:Before the whining starts: you can tell that this will be a highly banked S-curve and it will be taken at a high speed. Not quite as delicious as a heartline, but it's still going to be awesome.

coasterdude5 wrote:Yeah, but the S-Curve will probably be better than just a flat piece of track.

Or so you would think. Storm Runner's S-curve slams riders' heads from one side of the harness to the other. Ow. I can't imagine how much more painful that would be at the speed Maverick's trains will be taking that curve. Maybe a flat-section would've been better off.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Cerberus » Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 pm

"S-curve"?

Erm... Well, considering the train has to bank the other direction anyway to meet up with the next corner, that's about all it can do.

Its not a replacement "element", it's just a transition between two corners, like there is near the very start of the ride.

Shame the roll had to go, but looking at the videos of it testing, it was quite obviously not going to feel nice. The headrests (position of the rider's head) swung under as it rolled in a very awkward way- it would have been more sensible to curl around this point of the rider instead of the heartline. Bah.

Still, the airtime is all I'm interested in. And that's all still there =)

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Ah man, that heartline looked really awesome! Hey, not like it is going to make a difference, the banking looked sort of akward coming into the inversion anyways.
---Brent =)
Disobey

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Thom25 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:53 pm

It is disapointing to say the least, while I hope not too much headbanging will result from the "new" "S" element.

I wonder if the CF agreement with Intamin calls for a coaster with three (3) inversions. If it does, we may see it return during the off season, or some compensation be give to CF. (food for thought).

PreviousNext