Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: pǝʇɹǝʌuı and 22 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby VF15 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 pm

I’m planning on taking a trip out to the Point during the second week of June. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap hotels/motels close to the park? Being a poor college student, I’d prefer not spend more than $60-70 per night on a room if possible.
Last edited by VF15 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 pm.
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Econo Lodge North

Prices are inflated now but they'll probably drop.

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Those are some great pics!

Speaking of pics, there was a photo on Twitter from Winter Chill Out mentioning some track was being replaced on Iron Dragon. Not really anything of note, as it was a very small section and probably nothing out of the ordinary for a CP offseason (compared to the "retracking" Mean Streak got every winter, yikes). However it does make me wonder how much more borrowed time their five older Arrows are still on with the growing maintenance costs, scarcity of parts, and just a general change in times. For some the end is probably sooner, for the more iconic ones they can probably squeeze out more life. Kennywood sought fit to bring Morgan back in 2009(?) to complete the retrack on Phantom's Revenge's first drop, due to what I would guess were increasing maintenance costs on the old Arrow sections that still remained. So out of Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, CCMR, Gemini, and Magnum, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two are removed within the next decade. Not likely the last two, but I wouldn't rule them out.

Postby thrillrider » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 pm

FeelTheFORCE wrote:Those are some great pics!

Speaking of pics, there was a photo on Twitter from Winter Chill Out mentioning some track was being replaced on Iron Dragon. Not really anything of note, as it was a very small section and probably nothing out of the ordinary for a CP offseason (compared to the "retracking" Mean Streak got every winter, yikes). However it does make me wonder how much more borrowed time their five older Arrows are still on with the growing maintenance costs, scarcity of parts, and just a general change in times. For some the end is probably sooner, for the more iconic ones they can probably squeeze out more life. Kennywood sought fit to bring Morgan back in 2009(?) to complete the retrack on Phantom's Revenge's first drop, due to what I would guess were increasing maintenance costs on the old Arrow sections that still remained. So out of Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, CCMR, Gemini, and Magnum, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two are removed within the next decade. Not likely the last two, but I wouldn't rule them out.

A friend actually sent me a picture of this. It's not his picture, so I'm not sure who to credit for the pictire.
FB_IMG_1519570496641.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby coastermaniac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 pm

^ Magnum had the 3rd highest ridership numbers in 2017 so I don't see it going away anytime soon!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby steamedturtle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 pm

FeelTheFORCE wrote:Those are some great pics!

It's a really interesting observation, and I've been thinking about that lately too. I wouldn't dare make any predictions, and I don't even know what all the factors are (when considering removing a coaster) beyond maintenance costs, etc. But when I think about a coaster like Magnum - it would be unthinkable to remove it now; but there will be a day when it, like all things, just isn't financially feasible to keep around, and the number of people that will riot in the streets upon its removal, will be minimal.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Ah Cedar Creek Mine Ride, the crappy "family coaster" with the same height requirement as Steel Vengeance and Millennium Force. Yeah... that ride sucks, it's sitting on prime real estate, it rarely has a line and I wouldn't care one bit if they removed it.

As for the others though, I don't see it. Corkscrew takes up no room whatsoever and it seems popular enough. Iron Dragon is a ridiculously popular coaster that put up borderline insane ridership numbers a few years ago when it had early entry and 3 trains, Magnum had the 3rd highest ridership numbers in the park last year and I really don't see them removing Gemeni. F*ck Mine Ride though. :lol:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:02 pm

You said cheap, but you didn't say if you wanted to fear for your life all night or not.

I am pretty loyal to the choice hotels brand, so I can't say for the other hotels in the area, but.... -- my advice. The location can't be beat for the price.

Choice hotels map:

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm

coasterbill wrote:Ah Cedar Creek Mine Ride, the crappy "family coaster" with the same height requirement as Steel Vengeance and Millennium Force. Yeah... that ride sucks, it's sitting on prime real estate, it rarely has a line and I wouldn't care one bit if they removed it.

As for the others though, I don't see it. Corkscrew takes up no room whatsoever and it seems popular enough. Iron Dragon is a ridiculously popular coaster that put up borderline insane ridership numbers a few years ago when it had early entry and 3 trains, Magnum had the 3rd highest ridership numbers in the park last year and I really don't see them removing Gemeni. F*ck Mine Ride though. :lol:

:lol: I wasn't going to say it, but that's pretty much the one I had in mind.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:40 pm

coasterbill wrote:Ah Cedar Creek Mine Ride, the crappy "family coaster" with the same height requirement as Steel Vengeance and Millennium Force. Yeah... that ride sucks, it's sitting on prime real estate, it rarely has a line and I wouldn't care one bit if they removed it.

testify.gif

Sorry CP fanboys, worst mine train ever.

PreviousNext