Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Geauga Dog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:34 pm

As for the keyhole towers are they solid or hollow? With the distinctive roar a B&M makes, even though I supect GK to be rather quiet like X Flight is, the keyholes, if hollow, might amplify the sound of the train going through them since the towers are also supports for the track.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:40 pm

CP isn't usually concerned with noise. I wouldn't doubt they let this thing roar. But they have a ton of sand right next to the ride should they decide to quiet it down. ;)

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Geauga Dog wrote:As for the keyhole towers are they solid or hollow? With the distinctive roar a B&M makes, even though I supect GK to be rather quiet like X Flight is, the keyholes, if hollow, might amplify the sound of the train going through them since the towers are also supports for the track.

They were manufactured hollow. If they were solid metal, that would be crazy heavy and totally unnecessary and unimaginably expensive. If they want to get rid of the 'roar' they fill the hollow area with something that reduces the noise. Ive hear they use sand, but that also seems like it would add a lot of weight.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm

^If the foundations are strong and designed for the keyholes filled with sand, it doesn't matter how much the things weigh because they've already taken that into account. I doubt they'll fill the keyholes with anything though. They might actually sound pretty cool, too - extra room for sound to vibrate inside should make the entrance not just a sight to see, but a sound to hear as well.

I'm curious to see if they fill the supports. Do all of the current wing coasters have the supports filled? I feel like in the videos I've seen they don't sound as loud as a normal B&M, and I would assume that's why.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby TyRush » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Personally i love the classic B&M roar, I hope they dont fill it with sand.
And i think all wing-coasters have sand.
If Intamin made a donkey, it wouldn't be tame.....well for a year

Visit our Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group page! www.psuthemeparkengineering.com/

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm

I don't think Wild Eagle has sand, I remember watching the testing video and hearing the roar.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Coaster_Fanatic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm

I believe that Annie Zelm (PR) said at an ACE event back in October that Gatekeeper would have sand in it's supports.
My Top 5 Coasters - 1). El Toro 2). Intimidator 305 3). Thunderhead 4). Kingda Ka 5). Apollo's Chariot

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:20 pm

B&MIntaminGCI wrote:I don't think Wild Eagle has sand, I remember watching the testing video and hearing the roar.

I think The Swarm at Thorpe Park also has the roar.

Coaster_Fanatic wrote:I believe that Annie Zelm (PR) said at an ACE event back in October that Gatekeeper would have sand in it's supports.

That is now outdated, there was a construction tour on here in October were they said Gatekeeper would NOT have sand filled supports.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CpBluestreakCp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Anybody know how loud the wing rider roar is to compared to say Mantis or Raptor? Is there really a difference or do all B&M roars sound the same?
Top coasters: Maverick, Storm Runner, Skyrush, Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Titan, Phoenix, NTAG, Apollo, Blue Streak.
*Disclaimer: Ignore my Cedar Point fanboy name that I made when I was 11. It doesn't define me as a poster!*
Follow my Twitter and Instagram

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 pm

^I think that's really just a matter of perspective. Because of the locations some may sound louder than others...that's not to say certain ones are louder/quieter, but just location could make a difference, like if it's higher up (Gatekeeper over the entrance) or right next to you (Mantis first drop), or even the surrounding buildings that echo the sound to amplify it...It's also hard to tell because most wing riders are filled with sand. I can't imagine it would be any different since it's just the same amount of wheels rolling over the track at a similar speed. I hope it's just as loud as Raptor, or at least enough to compete! ;)
~Signature~

PreviousNext