Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: bill_s, Swineacles and 22 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby coastercrazy 9 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Is it just me, or is Gatekeeper flying! This may be some of the fastest construction I have seen in a long time.
I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters!

Image\

Do You Like Music? Do You Like Roller Coasters? Click Here for Six Flags Great AdventureClick Here For Hershey Park!Click Here For SFGAdv Fright Fest 2012!*New
For some Winter fun, click here, for My New Snowboarding Music Videos!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:33 pm

^ I think they building it fast since the weather is still good. Also they are probably trying to finish the coaster fast since they have to start on the new entrance.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JonnyRCT3 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

coasterlover420 wrote:^Simple answer, yes. To save energy, put less stress on the towers, among other reasons...if you know Wicked Twister, you know the back tower sways way too much even with the slower second launch. Imagine if the train went all the way up both times. For some reason, the front tower doesn't do this as much! Hmm..

Since they don't run it at full power anymore, it's not the fastest inverted coaster either. Although many coasters loose their initial speed after a few years. Desperado clocks in at 77 mph now.

This leads me to another topic. How/Why is there such a great speed difference between Diamondback(215' drop/80 mph) and Intimidator(211' drop/75 mph). Most B&M coasters fall about 3 mph short of the maximum speed they can achieve from their drop height. Anything falling from 215' can only achieve 80.2 mph. Anything falling from 211' can only achieve 79.4 mph. It's hard to believe Diamondback can achieve 80mph. I'm calling shenanigans on CF, just like how Intimidator 305 achieved 94 mph on opening day, and now is advertised at 90 mph. Complete BS, the laws of gravity didn't change over-season. :?r

My transgendered dreams have come true!!!

Postby Mr. Starr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm

coastercrazy 9 wrote:This may be some of the fastest construction I have seen in a long time.

Have you seen Universal Orlando lately??

nathan c stark is a bunghole

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 pm

JonnyRCT3 wrote:Since they don't run it at full power anymore, it's not the fastest inverted coaster either.

Wrong. The 3rd/4th launches are still 72mph.

JonnyRCT3 wrote:This leads me to another topic. How/Why is there such a great speed difference between Diamondback(215' drop/80 mph) and Intimidator(211' drop/75 mph). Most B&M coasters fall about 3 mph short of the maximum speed they can achieve from their drop height. Anything falling from 215' can only achieve 80.2 mph. Anything falling from 211' can only achieve 79.4 mph. It's hard to believe Diamondback can achieve 80mph. I'm calling shenanigans on CF, just like how Intimidator 305 achieved 94 mph on opening day, and now is advertised at 90 mph. Complete BS, the laws of gravity didn't change over-season. :?r

Advertisements are approximations...you just have to get over that.
~Signature~

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 pm

I don't really understand the "really fast construction" comments...

Haven't they put up, like, 2 sections of the lift hill?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby JRHcoasterki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 am

Just checked the webcam, looks like another piece of the lift is going up!
Screen shot 2012-11-29 at 8.52.56 AM.png

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Sammy* » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 am

Looks like they may top it off by the end of the week then. Love coaster cams. I know some of you guys think that it will be forceless. I think this may surprise us. The one thing I dont get with coaster is why the mid coarse brake's are there. All the ride does after it hits the breaks is just a one small helix then its over. I think it would be better suited if there was another element at the end.
PagodaCam_640.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby JRHcoasterki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 am

Maybe the mid-course brake run is there for capacity reasons? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's why...

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Lareson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 am

JRHcoasterki wrote:Maybe the mid-course brake run is there for capacity reasons? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's why...

You're right. It's so it can run a 3rd train without doing a station situation like Millennium Force. Cedar Point learned from that, doing separate load/unload stations and no mid-course brake run is highly inefficient. Look at a majority of coasters with 3 trains, all of them have a MCBR. Having it adds another block to the track, making it possible to dispatch trains more quickly and efficiently, thus making the line move faster. If Millennium had a MCBR, the wait for that ride would be much shorter as it could have more than 1 train on the track at once.

I guess I can do a more thorough explanation if needed.
The man may keep me down but opinions are my own.

PreviousNext