Oakwood Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Oakwood Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:23 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Oakwood Theme Park, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

November 28th, 2005 - Oakwood announces a Eurofighter with a 97 degree drop

March 23rd, 2006 - name of Eurofighter announced "Speed"

May 19th, 2007 - Oakwood to be prosecuted for rider's 2004 death on Hydro

February 22nd, 2008 - Park charged 2004 death on Hydro
March 11th, 2008 - Oakwood sold to Aspro Group

March 26th, 2013 - Park announces Peter Pan themed land with many new rides to open in 2013
October 29th, 2013 - Oakwood to remove Brer Rabbit's Burrow

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Original Post

A white-knuckle ride from which a girl fell to her death will re-open next month following a health and safety prohibition notice requiring changes to restraints, it emerged today.

Schoolgirl Hayley Williams, 16, from Pontypool, died after plunging 100ft from the Hydro ride at Oakwood Theme Park in west Wales last April.

Swansea schoolboy Martin Rothwell, aged 10 at the time, was hit in the head and injured by the teenager as she fell past him.

A major police and Health and Safety Executive inquiry was launched into the tragedy, witnessed by dozens of horrified visitors.

A Dyfed Powys Police statement issued today read: “We can confirm that the Hydro ride involved in the occurrence has now been released back to Oakwood Leisure Ltd.

“The Health and Safety Executive have issued a Prohibition Notice, requiring changes to the ride’s passenger containment system prior to it being operated with passengers again.

“The joint investigation, by Dyfed Powys Police and the Health and Safety Executive, into the incident is continuing.”

Paddy McNamara, managing director of Oakwood Theme Park, said Oakwood will be re-opening for the 2005 season on March 24 and Hydro will re-open at the same time.

He said: “Following recommendations by the Health and Safety Executive as a result of their investigation, we are replacing the interior of the Hydro boat and installing over the shoulder restraints with an interlock mechanism.

“As with all rides at Oakwood, Hydro ride operation and design is signed off as safe by independent certifying engineers before it is opened to the public.

“We do however acknowledge the need to provide additional reassurance to future riders and are quite sure the new system will do this.

“It was appropriate that Hydro remained closed last year, but we are pleased it will re-open as it has always been an extremely popular ride at Oakwood and it has been enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of riders in the past.“

The ride has been billed by the theme park as: “Europe’s fastest and wettest water coaster“.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:18 pm.

Rock Your Cock!

Postby Canobie Fan » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:29 am

Yeah and people think PP is bad with OTSR straps.. Hydro is going to have full on OTSRs? ANyoen have a photo of what the new boats look like?

Wouter.CC

Postby Wouter.CC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:30 am

Yea i heard this about a month ago... had to laugh at first when i heard it was getting OTSRs...but if it stops ppl from falling out of it i 100% support this choice

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:18 am

An interlock mechanism could mean anything that locks together.

I rekcon they'll be identical to those on Perilous Plunge. They've not failed since they were installed.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:24 am

The only reason I would think they wouldn't be the PP restraints is because of this line:

"He said: “Following recommendations by the Health and Safety Executive as a result of their investigation, we are replacing the interior of the Hydro boat and installing over the shoulder restraints with an interlock mechanism."

They wouldn't need to replace the interior of the boat for those restraints.

But who knows until the damn thing opens or we get a photo.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:03 pm

Honestly, if it gets OTSR's like Storm Runner/Rita it will still be way better than Perilous Plunge!

Elissa "much, much better load times!" Alvey

Why do I still have a donkey title???

News: Hydro at Oakwood get's new restraints

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:24 am

http://www.a-rush.co.uk/8/photos/displa ... m=19&pos=3

At least one park retrofitted their ride the right way.

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:23 am

Call me insensitive, but it's starting to bother me how over-restrained rides are. Even if there has been an accident, it seems a bit over the edge to me to put OTSRs on shoot the chutes and coaster that don't go upside-down. It seems a bit over the edge to me sometimes to put OTSRs on some rides that do go upside-down. When an accident happens, is there nothing that can be done to improve the lap bars? I don't know, am I alone on this feeling?

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:33 am

This is nothing new. Have you ever seen Riverview Park's answer to an ejected passenger.
Last edited by CoasterFanatic on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:29 pm.
Ted

Sanity is Overrated

Postby Shadowforce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:02 am

People with two-digit IQ's and no numbers higher than 5 in it is a major part of the commom people that will demand such solutions if just a single accident happen. Hundreds, maybe thousands are killed or injured in car crashed every single day, and I've yet to hear about an Arkansas housewive causing public uproar because of it. Why don't they force people to install OTSRs in cars now, huh? (Which would be hilarious :))

Sorry, just had to get that of my chest.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!