TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

We'll have to see what infrastructure improvements they make this year. Little by little, Kings Island had been improving themselves to handle the cold better with more indoor places and even the antique cars coming back. (despite them having winterfest back in the 80's... there wasn't much to it then) I hope Vallyfair can do it, I think it would be really popular.

I doubt any coasters would be operating during Winterfest if it were to happen. I was at the park a few years ago on a 30-degree Haunt night in late October, Renegade and Steel Venom were the only coasters operating. No idea what the low temperature limit is, but considering nighttime temperatures in late November and December are typically well below 30 degrees, I don’t see it happening.

It's not even about if a ride *could* run, they don't have any interest in trying anyway. It's warmer at Wonderland and they have 2 rides that are mostly inside of Wonder Mountain, are 99% powered and won't valley anyway and they're both closed.

Winterfest at Valleyfair would be about kickass lights and nice shows but the ride lineup would be piss poor which is a shame but I don't feel that bad for you because Log Chute exists down the road (lol). If it were Six Flags they'd probably run tons of coasters including probably the hyper with a strict "if you die you die" policy and it would be amazing but they're not.

Edited by coasterbill

Can’t GCI run there coasters at 30 degrees? Even if Renegade ran only one train would be nice I would think they could run few rides like scrambler, super cat, northern lights, antique autos could definitely run, tilter maybe Steel Venom. Also what’s the temperature to keep North Star open?

You can try to run anything at whatever temperature you'd like if you feel like it but Cedar Fair isn't going to do that. They're pretty impressive with Mystic Timbers. I want to say they cut it off in the low 20's.

To open Renegade you have to open almost the entire park though which means you have to staff the entire park and decorate the entire park. Just because of it's location I don't even think Six Flags would do it if they owned this place. And again, Wonderland is probably an indication that if Winterfest ever comes here the best ride that you can hope to ride is probably something like Monster.

Also what’s the temperature to keep North Star open?

Great Adventure's high score is about 18-19 degrees but Cedar Fair won't even run a windseeker in December at Carowinds when it's often hovering around 70 degrees. Different ride system but I'd expect it to be closed and possibly decorated as a giant Christmas tree.

Also, when it's that cold those rides are absolutely brutal. Nitro wishes it could be as bone-chillingly frigid on a 20 degree night as the stupid Sky Screamer.

Edited by coasterbill

Again, as has been said multiple times, Cedar Fair does not care about what the "standard operating temperatures" for rides are. Their Winterfest events are not aimed at thrill-seekers, despite apparent demand at parks that do operate one or two thrill rides, and until/if that mindset changes, you won't be seeing more thrill rides open.

Six Flags and other parks have demonstrated that various rides can run in very cold temperatures, but Cedar Fair doesn't care because of their marketing strategy for these events. All discussion about operating temperature for these parks is completely meaningless.

It's not even about if a ride *could* run, they don't have any interest in trying anyway. It's warmer at Wonderland and they have 2 rides that are mostly inside of Wonder Mountain, are 99% powered and won't valley anyway and they're both closed.

I had looked at Wonderlands attraction list for winterfest 19 and they did have thunder run listed.

I think what it REALLY comes down to is manufacturers specs. Cedar Fair follows alot of it to Gospel. (Remember they turned the Racer trains in 3 former Paramount parks back forward) Many parks have seemed to stop running their Arrows/Vekomas and PTC trains for winter events (Six flags, Hershey, Kennywood even)

GCI's limits are around 20-25 degrees (not warmed up) if I'm not mistaken so Renegade would probably be included. There comes a point though where if it gets that cold, do you actually want to go 50 mph in 20 degrees thus generating a wind chill of 0 or less. I love my Mystic Timbers, but after a few laps in 35 degree air temps I was like "okay... I'm done for the night." (i probally could have gone a few more times solo, but the wife was with me too and she was done. Compromise.)

I stand corrected then, it wasn't on the original list in September and I never bothered to check back (though Kings Dominion updated their list after it was announced also to add Twisted Timbers so I probably should have).

I still don't think they'll run anything at Valleyfair though.

GCI's limits are around 20-25 degrees (not warmed up) if I'm not mistaken so Renegade would probably be included. There comes a point though where if it gets that cold, do you actually want to go 50 mph in 20 degrees

We've gone 80 on Nitro and it was pretty fantastic, not gonna lie. Brit likes to go with the "imitate a marshmallow" method.

image_13978.thumb.jpg.c5f483ffdc36c048016a454e1d21d432.jpg

Edited by coasterbill

https://www.valleyfair.com/explore/calendar-and-hours Hmmmmm, December 2020 listed on the calendar!? wonder what that could be (Winterfest maybe)

They've removed November and December from the hours page so I'm guessing it was just a mistake. Didn't expect Winterfest this year anyway as all the other Cedar Fair parks announced Winterfest a year in advance.

Also noticed on the calendar that Closing Day is on a Saturday this year instead of the usual Sunday, wonder why that is?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just checking the City of Shakopee for new building permits and VF has 3 new ones for buildings in addition to the one I posted about last year for a remodel. So the good news is they are at least doing something in a year where the park will get no new rides. The bad news is they have no description in the permits as to what buildings are. Below are the 4 big permits with them accompanied by their dollar value plus more for electrical and plumbing associated with all of them which amounts to about a million dollars total. So does anyone know what these building are? A remodel of back offices? New food buildings? Newly remodeled haunts maybe?

Remodel/Alteration Commercial building - $415,000

Commercial Building addition -$125,000

Commercial Building New (1) - $75,000

Commercial Building New - (2) $75,000

^

And no, I do not know what is going on with the Dino's because I have not been by the park lately. Assume they are removing them since they said they were leaving after last year. Next time someone drives by see if you can still see the T-Rex looking over the fence by the ticket booth.

I drove by this week and I didn’t see T. rex from the highway it looks like it was removed. Did any more rest rooms get remodeled during the off season and was there any work on High Roller far as re painting or re tracking?

Also anyone going to season pass preview day you have to use your season pass to register this year I don’t remember having to register for season pass preview day and spaces are limited.

Edited by Lightning Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Just another little construction update. Added this week was another COMMERCIAL BUILDING ADDITION work permit for another $80,000 (no details again). Also a work permit for PLUMING REPLACEMENT valued at $14,000 for the 'Corn Cart' over by the theater. Only at VF will you see a work permit description like that. Be green with envy you other CF parks.

Here is the updated list of new or additions to buildings that VF has work permits for 2020. Hope one or two are new food places. Could any of this be involved with the repurposing of the Dino entrance or buildings?

Remodel/Alteration Commercial building - $415,000

Commercial Building Addition -$125,000

Commercial Building New (1) - $75,000

Commercial Building New (2) - $75,000

Commercial Building Addition - $80,000

• 2 weeks later...
It will be interesting to see if the park opens on time because of corona.

As of now It looks like they will be opening on the scheduled date as of now

https://www.valleyfair.com/park-update

Who know if they will be actually able to open by then though, maybe this is just a strategy to keep all of the Karens from complaining.

I'd imagine if the state allows Valleyfair to open, they will open. Whether or not that is a good idea or not is up to debate. I think the biggest thing to watch is what state legislation is gonna say about non-essential businesses opening after the lockdown starts to taper off.

It will be interesting to see if the park opens on time because of corona.

As of now It looks like they will be opening on the scheduled date as of now

https://www.valleyfair.com/park-update

Who know if they will be actually able to open by then though, maybe this is just a strategy to keep all of the Karens from complaining.

Karens? What's that?