The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Jello_Biafra wrote:Does anyone know if they’ll be a Meetup for Six Flags MM and/or Knotts this year?

By this time, I doubt there's going to be one (West Coast Bash) in September. I would think they would have announced it by now, so that people can buy tickets, plan a bit ahead, etc.

But then again, who knows? Last minute announcements are possible, yes? No?
Best place to keep checking is the section above, TPR Events. I do. And have. :wink:
IMG_1955.JPG
Me and What's-Its-Name. WCB-2016.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:55 am

WCR opening late is not a surprise because of a few things:
1. SFMM has a track record of delayed openings for new rides (the only major ride I can think of that's opened on schedule [i.e. Memorial Day or earlier] in the last 10-15 years is Twisted Colossus)
2. SFMM has a different peak season than the other Six Flags parks (their peak season is Fright Fest through New Year's)
3. Galaxy's Edge may have had a role to play with it.

Side note: According to queue-times.com, Apocalypse hasn't run since July 8, 2018. Is it time for it to be considered SBNO (even though it isn't listed as such on RCDB)?
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:08 am

cparkes92 wrote:2. SFMM has a different peak season than the other Six Flags parks (their peak season is Fright Fest through New Year's)

where does this come from? besides the weekends, the park is a complete ghost town during this time. i've heard people say this before. it makes no sense to me from someone who waits until that time of the year to go to the park to avoid the crowds.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Kylis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:30 pm

cparkes92 wrote:Side note: According to queue-times.com, Apocalypse hasn't run since July 8, 2018. Is it time for it to be considered SBNO (even though it isn't listed as such on RCDB)?

The thing is the only reason Apocalypse is not running is because of WCR construction. So I wouldn't technically categorize it as such as there is nothing wrong with the ride iteself, just its placement necessitates it being closed. Thats just my personal opinion on it though.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:25 pm

cparkes92 wrote:WCR opening late is not a surprise because of a few things:
1. SFMM has a track record of delayed openings for new rides (the only major ride I can think of that's opened on schedule [i.e. Memorial Day or earlier] in the last 10-15 years is Twisted Colossus)
2. SFMM has a different peak season than the other Six Flags parks (their peak season is Fright Fest through New Year's)
3. Galaxy's Edge may have had a role to play with it.

Side note: According to queue-times.com, Apocalypse hasn't run since July 8, 2018. Is it time for it to be considered SBNO (even though it isn't listed as such on RCDB)?

1) While true, this delay is mostly Premier's fault, not Six Flags.

2) This is not true, the park's peak season is the summer where they are consistently pulling 10k+ guests for a few months straight. Fright Fest is busy on Fridays and Saturdays (we're talking 25k-35k capacity busting numbers) but that's only 6 weekends out of the year.

3) That's not how Magic Mountain makes decisions at all. There is also very little market overlap between Disneyland and Magic Mountain. If anything, Magic Mountain benefits from the increased interest and tourism that Disneyland brings (although much less than Knott's) as some people will inevitably peel off from Disney and end up at another LA area theme park. As Sue Carpenter said recently, "A rising tide raises all boats", which is the mindset that marketing has towards Disney. They are in different market spaces and offer different products.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:30 am

MagicMountainMan wrote:
3) That's not how Magic Mountain makes decisions at all. There is also very little market overlap between Disneyland and Magic Mountain. If anything, Magic Mountain benefits from the increased interest and tourism that Disneyland brings (although much less than Knott's) as some people will inevitably peel off from Disney and end up at another LA area theme park. As Sue Carpenter said recently, "A rising tide raises all boats", which is the mindset that marketing has towards Disney. They are in different market spaces and offer different products.

having finally started going back to disneyland after not for something like 4-5 years, i forgot how different the consumer make up is. disney brings in a completely different crowd. i'd be interested to see some real data about this. i bet it would be something like 5% or less that make their way to magic mountain.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby SK4494 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:48 am

You know, I'm starting it get annoyed with Six Flags starting construction to new rides really late. This year is halfway over and they're STILL not halfway done with completing West Coast.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 am

Just have the mindset that whatever they announce each August won't be open for at least a year and you'll stop being disappointed. It's hilarious but not worth getting annoyed about, just adjust your expectations (and by "adjust" I mean "remove").

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 am

With 365 operations, does it really matter? I could see being annoyed if the ride opened late September and then the park was closed November thru April, but that’s not the case. It’s best to just laugh about it. Because Six Flags. What’ll be really funny is if SFMM announces their 2020 attraction at the end of the month along with every other SF, or if they’ll see the irony in that and hold off until after West Coast Racers opens. Aw, who am I kidding?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 am

Took a trip to the park yesterday. The crowds weren’t too bad. I was there with my daughters, so we stuck to the 48” rides. Goliath held steady at about 20 minutes all day. Revolution was 5-10 minutes. TC was only running 2 trains, the line was just under an hour. X2 has a broken part (according to guest services) and is waiting on that. The crowds definitely seemed more reasonable than the reports from last week. All in all, a good day. My daughters got to expand their coaster repertoire. Revolution and Goliath were their favorites. TC is still my favorite. I swear that coaster runs faster each time I visit. It was very aggressive, and the airtime was gloriously strong.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

PreviousNext