The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:37 pm

DirkFunk wrote:
Jew wrote:1. it's weird to me for them to have an outside staffing company staff the mazes, but I get the cost savings from them not hiring a bunch of seasonal maze staff positions. So very Six Flags.

What cost savings? Does CA force them to pay for health insurance on those 6 week positions or something?

None of the overhead costs associated with employment: workers comp insurance, uniforms, training, etc.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:24 pm

moviemansig wrote:Does anyone know when Viper is set to re-open? Thanks.

May 29th 2021. Viper's re-opening is going to be the parks way of celebrating their 50th birthday.
Bigger is not always better.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby SoCalJasonland » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm

DirkFunk wrote:
Jew wrote:1. it's weird to me for them to have an outside staffing company staff the mazes, but I get the cost savings from them not hiring a bunch of seasonal maze staff positions. So very Six Flags.

What cost savings? Does CA force them to pay for health insurance on those 6 week positions or something?

I doubt there are any cost savings. Typically employers will go to a temp agency when they were not able to find enough employees on their own or their HR department couldn't handle the volume of work. I am guessing with low unemployment and competition with retail and delivery industries for seasonal workers that the talent pool is slim and temp agencies have a greater volume of people that jump job to job and might be available.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am

I had to check with some friends on this considering I don't work at the park anymore, but the only temp agency that Magic Mountain uses for Fright Fest is Event Staff Professionals. ESP is used as maze 'security'.

Magic Mountain staffs all maze and scare zone monsters in house. HR effectively treats them as temp employees as they don't get company ID cards or a uniform.

Also, Viper has been down for a control system upgrade. The PLC, sensors, brakes, and other systems have been upgraded. It's not completely done yet, but it will be coming back online soon.

Postby Jew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:16 am

SoCalJasonland wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:

I doubt there are any cost savings. Typically employers will go to a temp agency when they were not able to find enough employees on their own or their HR department couldn't handle the volume of work. I am guessing with low unemployment and competition with retail and delivery industries for seasonal workers that the talent pool is slim and temp agencies have a greater volume of people that jump job to job and might be available.

I am positive there is a cost savings. I would assume they are paying ESP a flat rate for the maze hosts instead of their own variable costs for training, wages, workers comp insurance, wardrobe, administrative costs, etc.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 am

^One of my coworkers used to work for a company that provided security at sporting events, concerts, etc., on the weekends. He once worked security at Kings Dominion's Haunt and said he'd never make that mistake again. :lol:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby SoCalJasonland » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

Jew wrote:
SoCalJasonland wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:

I am positive there is a cost savings. I would assume they are paying ESP a flat rate for the maze hosts instead of their own variable costs for training, wages, workers comp insurance, wardrobe, administrative costs, etc.

The temp agency takes those costs from the employer but they add it on to the hourly rate. Then they add on another 30% or so for profit that the employer wouldn't have to pay if they direct hired themselves. Every time we have had to order temps for our insurance claims offices; management complains about the obscene rates they pay per hour for the temps. Then you ask the temp and they are getting like a third of what the agency charges per hour.

Postby Jew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm

ESP (and all those other major event staffing companies like Staff Pro and CSC) are completely different than a typical temporary staffing agency. It's not the same business model.

Knotts and Universal have no problem staffing their "maze security" positions with their own temporary staff, so knowing what I know about event staffing, I have no doubt SFMM made the decision to save some money on labor costs.

And to be fair, more power to them to run their business and make more profits off Fright Fest---it's just tacky because it's clear these employees don't even meet Six Flags standards and stick out like a sore thumb with their different uniforms and complete lack of care for service.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Ron101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am

SFMM has a hard time hiring employees. Fright Fest is extremely understaffed even on Saturdays. They also have signs all over the park saying to apply because they don’t get enough applicants during the Fall, Winter, and Spring operating months.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Ron101 wrote:SFMM has a hard time hiring employees. Fright Fest is extremely understaffed even on Saturdays. They also have signs all over the park saying to apply because they don’t get enough applicants during the Fall, Winter, and Spring operating months.

That's the consequence of intentionally primarily hiring high schoolers on summer break because they accept being paid next to nothing for labor-heavy positions nobody else would accept that wage for. The Santa Clarita area has incredibly low unemployment right now. The high schoolers are in school, and there isn't hardly anybody else around who would accept what little SFMM offers.

PreviousNext