The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: Wazzupnerds and 31 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby UberBeavis » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:47 am

I'm in one of those cars in that promo shot! :) (second row, teal shirt) :)

They used that same shot for McDonald's trayliner ads, and in Time Magazine that year. :b

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 am

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/superman-magic-mount-7321/

Six Flags Magic Mountain has quietly closed the Superman free-fall coaster in preparation for a makeover of the ride scheduled to reopen in spring 2011.

A sign posted outside the ride promises “something BIG is happening” to the Superman: The Escape coaster, according to photos posted by Screamscape.

The $20-million magnetic launch shuttle coaster opened in 1997, boasting a top speed of 100 mph, a gravitational force of 4.5 Gs and 6.5 seconds of weightlessness, according to Roller Coaster Database.

Magic Mountain officials have released few details about the planned overhaul, saying only that the Fortress of Solitude ice cave entrance will remain and the Superman figure will return to the top of the 415-foot tall ride.

Amusement park officials quickly denied Internet rumors that the ride would receive a Bizarro retheming based on Superman’s evil clone.

Roller coasters at two of Magic Mountain’s sister parks — Six Flags New England in Massachusetts and Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey — received Bizarro makeovers in 2009 that added fog, fire and sound effects as well as garish purple color schemes.

The Valencia amusement park will also add a kiddie coaster in spring 2011, relocated from a now-shuttered Six Flags park in New Orleans. Mr. Six’s DanceCoaster was announced as a new addition for 2010 and later postponed because of construction delays.

The junior coaster will keep the current red and black color scheme and stay in the same planned location in the northwest corner of the park but will likely receive a new name and theme, officials said.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby fnnyman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:38 am

^ i think its official now. only both sides will go all the way up. that's it. :(
Last edited by fnnyman on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:45 am.

Doesn't know how to spell "Enthusiast."

Postby Six Flags Enthuseast » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 am

^He did that so we could see the article without having to click the link. I'm pretty sure he hates you now. :roll:
Doesn't know how to spell 'Enthusiast'... or 'Hyundai'.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby fnnyman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:45 am

Six Flags Enthuseast wrote:^He did that so we could see the article without having to click the link. I'm pretty sure he hates you now. :roll:

:O

ur a meanie!

And i waited two hours to ride X2, not 3. O.o

Doesn't know how to spell "Enthusiast."

Postby Six Flags Enthuseast » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 am

^I'm just being sarcastic. :lol:
Doesn't know how to spell 'Enthusiast'... or 'Hyundai'.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby willthethrill » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 am

Theory:

Superstucture, track, and station are to remain mostly unchanged.

Notable rennovations include re-vamped launching system to increase efficiency and uptime, new carriages, and new paint.

Pièce de résistance - The new launch system is designed to overshoot top of tower with markedly improved acceleration and top speed. Superman 2.0 will introduce speed reduction magetic fin breaking system at peak of tower.

New ride program sequence calls for lauch to speeds in excess of 100 mph, vehicle to approach peak of tower with ample speed to clear the tower but is slowed to a stop (think X-Scream at Stratosphere), held for several moments, then is allowed a static freefall release back to station.

What the ride *should* have been at opening.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby fnnyman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am

willthethrill wrote:
New ride program sequence calls for lauch to speeds in excess of 100 mph, vehicle to approach peak of tower with ample speed to clear the tower but is slowed to a stop (think X-Scream at Stratosphere), held for several moments, then is allowed a static freefall release back to station.

if it is held for several moments, then it won't be as good of a ride feeling. :|

And if it is DESIGNED TO OVERSHOOT THE TOWER. then wow.

i would not want to ride it over and over again, I will just leave it at that.
Last edited by fnnyman on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 am.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Gmaster562 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:02 am

OOOO so it's like a holding break? That will be scary to look behind you and see how high you are. I hope that it helps you get that stomach-dropping feeling
:airtime:
"I love the loop de loops".

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Gmaster562 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:04 am

fnnyman wrote:
willthethrill wrote:

if it is held for several moments, then it won't be as good of a ride feeling. :|

And if it is DESIGNED TO OVERSHOOT THE TOWER. then wow.

i would not want to ride it over and over again, I will just leave it at that.

aaaaaaaawwwww. why not??? :(
"I love the loop de loops".

PreviousNext