Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Samuel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:59 pm

I went to Waldameer last weekend with gorgeous weather, and predictably it was the most crowded I've ever seen the park. I parked so far back that I didn't even know that that part of the parking lot existed. Good for the park, but good lord if you (like me) wanted to go in for an hour and ride three or four rides before heading to Presque Isle.

Earlier this summer a TPR member reported that his Ravine Flyer rides were rough and gave him a headache, etc. Some of us rushed to defend to the coaster's greatness, and I agree that it's a fantastic coaster, but I'll say that my latest rides were violent. I've ridden it a ton almost every year, and I don't remember it ever being this wild. It's the end of the season, so I bet that standard maintenance takes some bite out of it (Waldameer keeps it running well), but my two rides the other day were almost too bonkers -- the crazy drop & airtime were amazing-- but it had a few potholes and seemed to be in some kind of angry overdrive. It gave me a solid headache, and though in some ways they were the best rides I've ever had on RFII, the aggression was getting over the line.

It's not Dinn-rough where the coaster is clunky and constantly shuffling, but Gravity Group-rough where an excellent coaster develops a 'roid rage temper and tries you throw you off of it. It was nuts, and if the guy who got a headache is reading this, I believe your headache now.

Still an A+ ride, and I love to see the park packed and looking like its doing well to close out the year.
Last edited by Samuel on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm

I thought it was running great on Memorial Day weekend and way faster than my rides in 2017. In terms of roughness, I thought it was smooth but I've been known to find rides like Zeus no problem. :lol:
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am

For anyone worried about some potholes, the big one between the two tunnels on that straightaway after the bridge will be fixed this fall. Perhaps as we speak, because the trucks from Texas were arriving as the park was winding down Monday night. Several other areas that have not received major improvements since opening will also be addressed. As a reference to the scale of this fall refurbishment, we had to rearrange some employee parking to accommodate the massive lumber delivery.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby pryonisys » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Samuel wrote:I went to Waldameer last weekend with gorgeous weather, and predictably it was the most crowded I've ever seen the park. I parked so far back that I didn't even know that that part of the parking lot existed. Good for the park, but good lord if you (like me) wanted to go in for an hour and ride three or four rides before heading to Presque Isle.

Earlier this summer a TPR member reported that his Ravine Flyer rides were rough and gave him a headache, etc. Some of us rushed to defend to the coaster's greatness, and I agree that it's a fantastic coaster, but I'll say that my latest rides were violent. I've ridden it a ton almost every year, and I don't remember it ever being this wild. It's the end of the season, so I bet that standard maintenance takes some bite out of it (Waldameer keeps it running well), but my two rides the other day were almost too bonkers -- the crazy drop & airtime were amazing-- but it had a few potholes and seemed to be in some kind of angry overdrive. It gave me a solid headache, and though in some ways they were the best rides I've ever had on RFII, the aggression was getting over the line.

It's not Dinn-rough where the coaster is clunky and constantly shuffling, but Gravity Group-rough where an excellent coaster develops a 'roid rage temper and tries you throw you off of it. It was nuts, and if the guy who got a headache is reading this, I believe your headache now.

Still an A+ ride, and I love to see the park packed and looking like its doing well to close out the year.

I was the one who said I got a headache on it earlier this summer. It is still a great ride, and I love all the work that Waldameer done on it consistently to keep it great.
I had ridden it a couple of more times this summer after my rough ride earlier, no other times that I rode it was it that rough, so I just chalk it up to having one out of control ride.
All the other times I rode it I had great rides, so that's just a bit interesting.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!