Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterLine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 am

Here you go: http://www.goerie.com/article/20120923/NEWS02/309229901/Waldameer-to-buy-motel-build-wave-pool

Waldameer to buy motel, build wave pool

Waldameer Park & Water World, which introduces a new attraction nearly every year, is adding something just as big this fall: more than 7 acres of land and buildings, including the Inn at Presque Isle, at Peninsula Drive and West Sixth Street.

The acquisition, to be final Oct. 2, will enlarge Waldameer to 52 acres, put park owner Paul Nelson in the hotel business and help launch an ambitious 10-year plan for the 116-year-old amusement park in Millcreek Township.

The plan, to cost more than $20 million, will feature a large wave pool, to open most likely in 2014, and the development, most likely five years later, of a secluded wooded area involving about 5 acres that Nelson's family owns at the foot of a slope that overlooks Lake Erie.

The highlight of that long-awaited project, Nelson said, will be an incline railway to carry picnickers from the main park to the lakefront hideaway.

"We are talking about radically changing the park," said Nelson, 78, who started working at Waldameer when he was 11.

The purchase of the property will expand Waldameer's footprint from Lake Erie to the northwest to West Sixth Street to the southeast.

In addition to acquiring the 3.9-acre, 58-room Inn at Presque Isle -- formerly known as the Beachcomber Inn and Scott's Motel -- Waldameer is buying a 0.7-acre mobile-home park just east of the inn and, adjacent to the mobile-home park, a 2.7-acre cluster of rental cottages known as the Cottages at Presque Isle.

The seller of all the properties, Nelson said, is the estate of Richard L. Carrara, 76, an Erie businessman who died in April. Carrara, who also owned Erie-based Amthor Steel, bought the Inn at Presque Isle in the 1990s and the Cottages at Presque Isle and the mobile-home park in 2006.

Nelson declined to comment on the price of the three properties.

"More money than I have," he said with a laugh.

An executor of Carrara's estate, Joseph Sadler, an Erie accountant, could not be reached for comment.

A desire for space

Nelson said Waldameer will start demolishing all the cottages shortly after Oct. 2 to make more room for parking. He said the park will give the tenants of the mobile homes six-month leases while he decides what to do with that property.

Waldameer will need more parking, Nelson said, to accommodate construction of the wave pool in what is now part of the Peninsula Drive parking lot next to Water World. Waldameer plans to build a children's water play area near the wave pool, which Nelson said will be the largest of its kind "in the tri-state area."

The land purchases "are a great opportunity to continue the growth of the park," said Steve Gorman, 52, Waldameer's president and Nelson's son-in-law.

Nelson said he had long wanted to buy the Inn at Presque Isle and the adjoining properties to ensure that Waldameer -- the 10th-oldest amusement park in the United States, with 75 rides and attractions -- can grow.

"This is enough to keep us going for the next 10 years," Nelson said.

He said he wants to draw more visitors from Ohio and New York, and to capitalize on recent changes that have boosted the park's attendance, such as the introduction of season passes in 2010. Even before the wave pool opens in 2014, Waldameer will introduce a new ride in 2013 -- the $1.5 million caterpillar-style Music Express -- as well as fountains and gardens, with plans to one day turn the park's large Merry-Go-Round Grove picnic shelter into an outdoor restaurant.

By the time the current 10-year-plan is over, Nelson said, Waldameer's capacity will be about 50 percent higher than it is today, and its seasonal employment of about 400 people could grow by as many as 200.

Asked why he is launching a long-term plan at an age when most people have retired, Nelson smiled.

"I like what I'm doing," he said. "It is having good faith in the community."

Aiming for 'repeat visitation'

The new plan for Waldameer is rooted in a tough decision Nelson made 28 years ago. After briefly considering retirement, he rededicated himself to Waldameer and sold the park's original carousel, including its hand-carved wooden horses, for $1.2 million.

Nelson used the money to build Water World in the 1980s, which generated the revenue that soon allowed him to add a new attraction nearly every year. Among the most-heralded rides was the Ravine Flyer II, the roller coaster that gained national attention when it opened in 2008 and sent riders screaming across a bridge over Peninsula Drive.

The Ravine Flyer II, which cost $7.5 million, was the centerpiece of Waldameer's most recent 10-year plan, which cost $15 million.

Waldameer has thrived as one of a dwindling number of family-owned amusement parks by adding new rides on a "cyclical investment schedule" to keep customers returning each year, said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services Inc., a Cincinnati-based management and consulting firm.

"Our industry lives on repeat visitation," Speigel said. "You add a new ride to get people back."

"He is on the right track. He is doing the right things," Speigel said of Nelson. "They could have just as easily gone out of business."

A promise to grow

As he steers the park through its expansion, Nelson is venturing into a new business -- lodging. He said Waldameer will update the Inn at Presque Isle as needed, and market the motel to vacationing families who are visiting not only Waldameer but Presque Isle State Park, down the road on Peninsula Drive, and other local attractions, such as Splash Lagoon in Summit Township, which is owned by Erie developer Nick Scott Sr.

Nelson said he is willing to experiment on the Inn at Presque Isle.

"If I can't make the same return ... (as the amusement park), then the hotel will go," he said.

On the other side of Waldameer, on the lakefront property, Nelson said he sees more ways to increase attendance at Waldameer and the Inn at Presque Isle.

The verdant parcel -- squeezed between Sara's Campground and the private cottages of Kelso Beach -- will be home to, among other attractions, the incline railway, another water ride, a family ride, a restaurant and a picnic area, Nelson said. The approximately 5-acre property includes a beach, but Nelson said swimming probably won't be an option -- he doesn't want the lake to compete with Water World.

Nelson's voice jumped with excitement as he discussed the lakefront property -- how Waldameer operated a swimming pool, trolley and other attractions there until a storm destroyed them in the early 1930s, and how the development will help fulfill his vision for the park.

"Most people don't realize we own this land," he said. "There is much more to our long-range plan than meets the eye."

Nelson is insistent the patch of property will one day bustle with visitors. Just as he built Water World and the Ravine Flyer II, just as he will buy the Inn at Presque Isle, Nelson said he will finish the latest 10-year plan.

"We are not like someone from out of town who says they are going to do something," he said. "Most of our stuff turns out to be pretty much true."

ED PALATTELLA can be reached at 870-1813 or by e-mail. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/ETNpalattella.
Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer / Partner
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Someday, I hope to find my own Indiana Jones.

Postby Jojo19799 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 am

The only problem I see with this is that it'd be difficult to spend the full $20 - because you're unlikely to make purchases which total to exactly $20, that means you'll probably end up with 50-60c on the card unused (I'm assuming they don't refund unused credit). A small gripe, but if they're making an extra half dollar off everyone that's a decent revenue raiser.

I don't look at it as a revenue raiser. It's your money you put into the machine to get the card. I guess if you're local and you go back to the park so often, then it really doesn't matter but I do see your point. I was just using $20 as an example.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 am

WOW! I am really excited for them. I love Waldameer and wish I lived closer to it. They really treated us well when we were there for the Leviathan tour this summer.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 am

Wow, I did not see this coming so soon, looks like a good plan. Although, I am disappointed that the cottages are being torn down. I have stayed in those for the past 4 - 5 years during my trip there. Oh well, I guess I will stay at the main Inn now .

I wonder if they will eliminate or just reroute the entrance next to Waterworld and the Comet. It appears from the pictures that this is the area they are putting the Wave Pool. I also noticed they said a water ride down by the lake. Maybe this will be a Shoot The Chute ride, I am not sure if there is enough room there for a decent size rapids ride down there along with everything else listed going in there.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I haven't been to this park in a very long time, but I did like it during my one visit. Nice to see it succeeding and expanding.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mangoman15 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm glad to see that a park like this is doing so well. I've still never been there, but I'm really excited to go there next year once it reopens.

Postby OISU8P » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Most people may not be familiar with the Inn they bought so I marked up a picture since I stay there all the time. There is a lot of grass in the corner of the motel portion that is unused by the pool area. It would be nice if they where able to fit a restaurant in there for the motel that did breakfast, lunch, dinner and had an outdoor bar by the pool. Also, keep it open to non-hotel guests for extra cash flow with a parking lot for that. They could probably give Sandbar up the street a run for their money if done properly.

Green = The actual motel portion they are keeping as their motel.
Red = The cottages the are tearing down and making a parking lot. This also includes the mobile homes the article mentioned.
Blue = The general area of the wave pool from the photos in the existing lot.
waldameer inn.png

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby CoasterLine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Here is the diagram of the total property of the park...

The green area has been is an area that has been in "purchase" discussion for years, from what I've heard. This green area would add about 12.5 acres to the overall footprint which would make the total park around 64.5 acres, over the current 52 acres (once the Inn purchase is closed)

This is very exciting for the park, and the area. The park had started to become very landlocked and this is a great way to add more space, as well as make new avenues for new rides while retaining the feel of the current park. I can't wait to see how all of this turns out.
Last edited by CoasterLine on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:39 pm.
Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer / Partner
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 pm

I feel bad for the people who own those cottages because my family owns a cottage over on Canadohta Lake and we've been going up there since I've been born (the cottage has been in the family since the 40s). I have to imagine that's what it's like for them as well. I would love to live along Erie someday.

Postby OISU8P » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

^ The cottages being demolished are actually owned by The Inn At Presque Isle and not owned by individuals. I am not sure if the mobile homes that got an extended six month lease are vacation homes or primary residents that live there. I believe there is one full house on that property also.

In my five years staying there, I got to know the Inn property manager pretty well and we talked all the time while I stayed there. The cottages where rented by folks that have been coming for years and years. There is also one family that would rent them all for a week and fly family in from all over the country for a week long family reunion. Some of the people who did this on a yearly basis will probably be disappointed. As far as the mobile park goes. According to the property manager for the Inn, he said The Inn actually owned the property and the mobiles homes had long leases. They where trying to get them out for years. He even said they tried to make noise early in the morning and such with the hopes they would drop their lease. Nothing they ever did would get the people to leave though. I would be curious on what condition Mr. Nelson got to be able to ignore the current long lease and extend it for just six months.

Of course, most of this is if the property manager was telling the whole story. He seemed pretty reliable though on what he talked about though.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!