Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Someday, I hope to find my own Indiana Jones.

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Jojo19799 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:06 am

This is fantastic news! Waldameer is a great park. I had a lot of fun there on the Leviathon trip and I hope to go back in the next couple of years.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 am

As it stands right now, this park offers almost a full day of fun if you include the water park. A few more big attractions like the wave pool, etc, etc. and this place could really take off. I have always enjoyed my time here, though I do think the Wally Cards are a big scam. Not being able to buy ANYTHING with cash is a bit on the ridiculous side. That is a whole 'nother issue. I am very excited to see some of this expansion come to form in the coming years; any word on where the Magic Express is going to be?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby PennStater » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:53 am

Who uses cash these days, anyways? :p Just use a credit card... simple enough.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Great news for them. Knowing Waldameer, they will use every inch of that 7 acres.

Someday, I hope to find my own Indiana Jones.

Postby Jojo19799 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:I have always enjoyed my time here, though I do think the Wally Cards are a big scam. Not being able to buy ANYTHING with cash is a bit on the ridiculous side.

Regarding the Wally Cards, when I was there with TPR we were told that it helps prevent theft by employees. I would imagine its easy for someone to slip $5, $10 or even $20 bucks here or there in their pocket while they work. Think of how many other parks have to deal with theft on a daily basis, having the Wally Cards eliminates this because there is no cash to pocket. Also Mom and Dad can give little Timmy a card with $20 and that's his spending money for the day to play games, buy food or buy a souvenir. I think it's easier on the parents to set a spending limit this way, plus it teaches kids responsibility.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Jojo19799 wrote:Regarding the Wally Cards, when I was there with TPR we were told that it helps prevent theft by employees. I would imagine its easy for someone to slip $5, $10 or even $20 bucks here or there in their pocket while they work. Think of how many other parks have to deal with theft on a daily basis, having the Wally Cards eliminates this because there is no cash to pocket. Also Mom and Dad can give little Timmy a card with $20 and that's his spending money for the day to play games, buy food or buy a souvenir. I think it's easier on the parents to set a spending limit this way, plus it teaches kids responsibility.

The only problem I see with this is that it'd be difficult to spend the full $20 - because you're unlikely to make purchases which total to exactly $20, that means you'll probably end up with 50-60c on the card unused (I'm assuming they don't refund unused credit). A small gripe, but if they're making an extra half dollar off everyone that's a decent revenue raiser.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Why is it that Waldameer can survive and excel in this region while Geauga Lake downsizes and fails? PA>OH maybe, but I still wonder if Geauga Lake really was having it that bad or was it all bs. I don't care either way because I can go to Waldameer. :)

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:51 pm

So how long do we have to wait before Ravine Flyer 4? ;)

Great news for Waldameer. I look forward to seeing how everything turns out.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Waldameer is my favorite non-major park, so it's great to hear that they're doing well enough to expand like this. For a small park, this is certainly a big deal. Next time I'm in Pennsylvania, I'll have to go back and see how the park is progressing.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 am

I'm having trouble linking the article while abroad, but I read the thevowner recently purchased a hotel and land adjacent to the park for expansion in the future.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!