Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Tue May 15, 2012 3:45 pm

These will make more great additions to Waldameer. I'd guess the Music Express will go by Steel Dragon or over by Comet/the picnic area. One thing I like about Waldameer is that even though there is a lot to do, the park doesn't seem hectic like other small parks. It is a very relaxing park, and it is great to see the park grow as much as it has the past few seasons.

I have no idea where the restaurant will go though. Is the old ballroom used for anything, or could it be demolished for park expansion?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Tue May 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Glad to see a Musik Express is coming to Waldameer. It would fit in well with the park. I just hope they won't play a bunch of crappy music while you ride.

I thought there were plans to put a food court in the old carousel bulding. They definitely need to increase the variety of food options in the park.

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Tue May 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Whats this park like on memorial day weekend? How are Ravine Flyers lines?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:32 pm

^ Last year the wait was about 30-45 minutes from the start of the day till about 6 (One train). Than started dropping to about 10 minutes at 8.

Postby Philrad71 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:23 pm

^Hoping that the line-jumping won't be as bad as it was last Memorial Day weekend. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that visits this year. I think I'll stay away from the park on that weekend and go on another day when it's less crowded.

Lines really weren't all that bad despite the fact that the park was crowded, but the unruly behavior didn't make for the most pleasant of experiences. But you can get that at just about any park on any specific day, I suppose.

We thought about going to Cedar Point on Friday until I checked the website and saw that it was Math & Science week. Ummmmmmm...no thanks. Even if we got Fast Lane, I figure we'll wait and go another week. I have not heard many good things about the crowds and some of the kids that attend that type of event.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 am

I am getting ready to make my yearly trip to Waldameer and Presque Isle in the next few weeks (Four days at The Inn at Presque Isles Cottages). Has anyone been to the park in the past month and if so how operations are this year? I heard Pirates Cove was getting some work done over the off season. Was anything added to it or just a general clean up and paint here and there? Also, where did they moved the Wacky Shack queue to?

One other item I was wondering about is the water mill attached to Thunder Rivers loading station. Is this a functional water mill that has just been broken for a few years? I have never seen it running nor have I seen a picture of it running with water. That makes me think it is just a prompt without a pump for water. It would be hard to believe that I have gone there the past 3 seasons and it would have been broken that long.

Last year was pretty smooth for operations. Only Ali Baba was down most of our trip and was only open the last day.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

1. Pirates Cove has had several scenes repainted, and a refurbishment of Bill Tracy's "Quicksand Hands."

2. I spoke with the head mechanic on Thunder River about the water wheel about a week ago. According to him, the wheel was victim of a design flaw in which the water pressure required for it to work properly was astronomical. It never operated properly when it did have water flowing.

3. Comet is VERY close to two train operation. The issue holding us back was the new system being retrofitted for the restraints. The green train has had its lap bar locking/unlocking mechanisms completely refurbished, and orange is in the process of being refurbished. Also, we got clearance from PTC to use the lubricant that we use on RF2's restraints on Comet in which the lap bars have been working excellently as of recent. Also, we moved the wristband/Wally Card scanner further back into the queue, so that guests are scanned and ready to board well before the train is ready. Efficiency has been dramatically increased.

4. Whacky Shack's new loading procedure ended up being better in thought than in practice. The goal was to load two cars simultaneously, and the outcome was guests who couldn't follow directions no matter how dumbed down they were. Combine that with a ride system that is completely manual between the exit, loading, and dispatch areas. This ride is tricky to operate, believe me. We have been staffing an exit attendant on busy days to help speed up unloading so that cars can be ready for loading a lot faster.

5. L. Ruth Express has been operating with two trains on Saturdays and Sundays, and the guests couldn't be happier with that. Ridership is up and the grumbling because of the sometimes 45 minute waits has been almost diminished. The Red train has a beautiful engine, and we are in the process of updating the older cars.

6. I'm sorry to say that if you are visiting in the next week or so, expect Flying Swings to be down. It went down yesterday and we are awaiting Zamperla's evaluation of the needed repairs. I cannot give any more details about that. Besides this bit of bad news for the Waldameer community, ride up-time has been very good.

7. A note about the cashless system. Our food and games revenues are significantly up from last year. The adjustment period for the guests has not been without its difficulties, but the reception as a whole was not as negative as I, guests, employees, or enthusiasts initially believed.

2013 is confirmed a Music Express. The ride has been purchased, and will be placed in the current location of Scrambler. Scrambler is moving right next door by the train station where the Hoop Shot game is right now. This game will be relocated elsewhere in the park. Last, but certainly not least, a little, important birdie told me that experts will be coming in this fall to evaluate Ravine Flyer II, and expect some retracking. The coaster still runs as great as ever, but this just shows Waldameer's commitment to their crown jewel.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Wow, thanks that is a great summary. I will be there Aug 2 through 5, so it is a little more then a few weeks. Rides break and if Flying Swings is down then so be it for this trip. I feel that way for pretty much any ride.

Looking forward to the Music Express next year. Do you know which manufacture they got.? It will be interesting to see them squeeze the Scrambler and it in that area. I was thinking it would look nice where The Wipeout is, partially because I just do not like that ride. Anyways, it is good to see they are adding this without having to remove something else.

It is sad to hear about the background of the water wheel. However, it is understandable.

Thanks

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby PennStater » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 pm

^^ Wow, awesome post. Thanks for all the info! It's good to hear that the cashless system has ended up working out well. I'm also glad to hear about possible re-tracking on RFII. As you said it's still a great ride, but seems to be a bit of a headache inducer lately, at least for me (still nowhere near as bad as some other wooden coasters out there!). When I was there for an ACE event earlier in the season, I sadly had to bail out a little early on ERT and spectate. :cry:
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:37 pm

ajfelice wrote:1. Pirates Cove has had several scenes repainted, and a refurbishment of Bill Tracy's "Quicksand Hands."

2. I spoke with the head mechanic on Thunder River about the water wheel about a week ago. According to him, the wheel was victim of a design flaw in which the water pressure required for it to work properly was astronomical. It never operated properly when it did have water flowing.

3. Comet is VERY close to two train operation. The issue holding us back was the new system being retrofitted for the restraints. The green train has had its lap bar locking/unlocking mechanisms completely refurbished, and orange is in the process of being refurbished. Also, we got clearance from PTC to use the lubricant that we use on RF2's restraints on Comet in which the lap bars have been working excellently as of recent. Also, we moved the wristband/Wally Card scanner further back into the queue, so that guests are scanned and ready to board well before the train is ready. Efficiency has been dramatically increased.

4. Whacky Shack's new loading procedure ended up being better in thought than in practice. The goal was to load two cars simultaneously, and the outcome was guests who couldn't follow directions no matter how dumbed down they were. Combine that with a ride system that is completely manual between the exit, loading, and dispatch areas. This ride is tricky to operate, believe me. We have been staffing an exit attendant on busy days to help speed up unloading so that cars can be ready for loading a lot faster.

5. L. Ruth Express has been operating with two trains on Saturdays and Sundays, and the guests couldn't be happier with that. Ridership is up and the grumbling because of the sometimes 45 minute waits has been almost diminished. The Red train has a beautiful engine, and we are in the process of updating the older cars.

6. I'm sorry to say that if you are visiting in the next week or so, expect Flying Swings to be down. It went down yesterday and we are awaiting Zamperla's evaluation of the needed repairs. I cannot give any more details about that. Besides this bit of bad news for the Waldameer community, ride up-time has been very good.

7. A note about the cashless system. Our food and games revenues are significantly up from last year. The adjustment period for the guests has not been without its difficulties, but the reception as a whole was not as negative as I, guests, employees, or enthusiasts initially believed.

2013 is confirmed a Music Express. The ride has been purchased, and will be placed in the current location of Scrambler. Scrambler is moving right next door by the train station where the Hoop Shot game is right now. This game will be relocated elsewhere in the park. Last, but certainly not least, a little, important birdie told me that experts will be coming in this fall to evaluate Ravine Flyer II, and expect some retracking. The coaster still runs as great as ever, but this just shows Waldameer's commitment to their crown jewel.

^I agree...great post with lot's of good information!

I think it's great that they are committed to keeping RFII running smooth. I noticed the roughness last year and (although I have yet to get out and ride it this year) was worried about it's future. The location and overall layout of the coaster is just too awesome to let it slip into a ride of headaches, banging, and constant jackhammering. Have they gone back to two train operations yet, or are they still rehabbing the other train?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!