Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby TJinPgh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 pm

gisco wrote:The next person to bring up the cashless system is going to get a 24 hour ban!

Move on NOW!

So, we're only allowed to discuss the things somebody else finds important?

If the management of the park thought the change important enough to bring up at the conference, there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to discuss it here, both pro and con.

Anything about the park... especially something that affects their customers, should be fair game.

If not? Feel free to ban me and, while your at it, post a list of topics that are acceptable to be discussed.

OISU8P wrote:
These are the types of folks I am refereeing to in my post. Not the hard working guy or girl who appreciates what they are getting for their dollar. Sorry if that was confused.

And, I'm sorry I took it so personally. The thing is, though, that one needs to consider where a park like Waldameer fits into things. There's no lack of competition for amusement park dollars in that region of the country. There are a number of larger parks within a couple of hour drive of Erie that one can go to.

A park like Waldameer competes for those dollars, beyond being easily accessible to locals, by offering the best value for the dollar.

Also, I figured the gas prices to get to Erie from Pittsburgh would offset any savings they got on admission and such. Well, at least maybe this year it will

You may well be right. But, that's sort of the point, also.

Anybody local to Kennywood can get into the park most days for about $24 if they buy the tickets through Giant Eagle (which are all over the region and easily accessible). For that, you get a much larger park, and much longer lines.

Last time I went to Kennywood, I was lucky to get 4 rides in on a Night Rider pass.

I've often joked that I could drive from where I work (about 10 miles north of Pittsburgh) to Waldameer and ride the Flyer in about the same time it takes me to drive to Kennywood (no quick way to get there) and ride any one of their more popular rides.

Looking at Waldameer's website, they appear to have raised their prices again this year. Combo passes up to $26.50 at the gate. Not sure about admission just to Waldameer as there is no mention of it on the website. So, no way for customers to even know how much that costs to compare. My guess would be at least $22, though.

It doesn't take leaving a whole lot on a card before they could have spent the same or less at a bigger park.

With gas prices possibly hitting $5 this summer ($4.50 being predicted), there is going to be less and less incentive for anybody but locals to go to Waldameer unless they're either passing through or already vacationing in the area.

At what point do they price themselves out of their niche?

Other than that? the only other point I was making about the viability of refunds is that they are already doing it with a large portion of their Water World customers.

You pay a deposit to use the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. At the end of the day, when you return the key, you have the choice to either get your deposit back or to give up the deposit in exchange for a stuffed animal.

There's no reason why they can't do that for everything else. Or, at least offer something in exchange for whatever's left.

As I said before, I'm curious if they will still be offering refunds for the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. Or, if there will simply be an additional fee for service over the cost of the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rental.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm

With gas prices possibly hitting $5 this summer ($4.50 being predicted), there is going to be less and less incentive for anybody but locals to go to Waldameer unless they're either passing through or already vacationing in the area.

This is true, but Waldameer seems to do a helluva business with shop picnics (our factory rotates yearly between Waldameer and Darien Lake and we're 40 miles away from Erie and about 1.5 hours from Darien Lake) and school/church visits in addition to all of the locals. I don't think they'll be affected by this too much...perhaps not as much as some of the bigger parks with the higher entrance fees.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:46 pm

TJinPgh has a 24 hour ban. Who is next?

Hercules wrote:Not to be disrespectful, but I don't understand why we can't discuss this. It is clearly the hot button topic at the park for this year considering all of the discussion.

It is one thing to discuss and another to argue with out any facts and that is what TJinPgh is doing. When you can't add any thing new to the discusion and not keep reiterating your personal opinion, it is time to move on.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 pm

A "Not-Cashless Discussion" Waldameer update:

http://twitter.com/#!/WaldaTweets/status/182910985168879616/photo/1

Let the speculation begin as Waldameer is basically confirming something big for 2013 (I know not "coaster big"). Mr. Nelson is good at keeping secrets, so this could be a lot of fun. My only guess is that Waldameer is continuing their good relationship with Zamperla, but you never know...

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Hercules wrote:
TJinPgh wrote:with respect to Cowabunga Bay, given that it's a water park and not an amusement park, what, besides food, would one be using a Wally-Card type system for? There's no mention of it on their website.

I find it interesting, though, that everybody seems to think offering a refund would be such a burden for the park. The park has been doing that very thing for the Water World customers for quite some time now.

First comment - A Core Cashless system (or just about any cashless automation system for that matter) can be used to whatever capacity the park desires. Here, Waldameer is merely using the system they had in place in a much greater capacity. Instead of just using the cards and wristbands to get into ride queues, they are going to cashless for everything. A park does not have to use cashless for everything, which I believe to be the case with Cowabunga Bay, which I believe just usess the system for entry into slides and attractions (someone please correct me if I am wrong on that one).
At Cowabunga Bay, CORE Cashless is our Point of Sale System. It's used for every purchase made at the park. Admission Tickets and Season Passes are Scanned at the Entrance Gate just like Wally Cards and Wristbands are. We can also put Money onto a Gift Card or Season Pass that can be used for any purchase inside the park which makes things incredibly easy.

- Sid

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am

^ Thanks for clearing that up!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Tue May 15, 2012 8:53 am

New Music Express in 2013. I wonder if they are fitting it in a current area or removing something for it?

More are coming. For 2013, Waldameer has purchased Music Express, a fast-paced ride that runs forward and backward while contemporary tunes blast. And the park may serve up something new the following year.

"If everything goes the way we're looking, in 2014 we'll open up a restaurant for 250 people," Nelson said. "It'll have nice food, but be family priced."

Full Article:
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012305099894

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 am

I am glad to see this park expanding. I wish I did not live so far (7 hours) away or I would visit every season. Can not wait to get back up there on the Leviathon Tour in July!!!
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:16 am

I can see the Music Express going in on the south side of the park as there is plenty of places to put it down there. And glad to see a restaurant is coming, I love Waldameer but always felt they were lacking in the food dept.

A not-so-awesome title

Postby molemaster43 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:31 pm

This is what I like to see in a park, a park slowly making small to medium improvements to their park to improve the overall experience.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!