Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby OISU8P » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 pm

^ I never thought of that, but it would make much sense. That small bridge is a pain when it is busy.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Waldameer mentioned in one of their picture comments on facebook that it is indeed a ramp. Even though we all love signature attraction additions each off-season, Waldameer is taking the ever so crucial infrastructure route for improvements this year. Ease of access=higher guest satisfaction. More efficient ride operating procedures=more guest satisfaction. If any park wants to keep growing at a healthy rate, they cannot forget infrastructure. Waldameer, I'm sure, will keep up their growth as they perfect and maintain their existing operations.

As for the new cashless system. Waldameer has put a lot of careful planning and research into full implementation. Several new kiosks are being added in which high-traffic areas will have double kiosks. Remember, in addition to Wally Cards, credit/debit cards are still accepted at all food, games, and merchandise locations. The constantly growing trend is to use more plastic, so the majority guests should be able to adjust to these changes. There might be some confusion initially, but with Waldameer getting the word out early on the new procedures and making the necessary preparations, smooth sailing should follow.

(I can't wait to see Comet running two trains!)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 pm

^ I do like how they make small, but noticeable improvements each year. The new train will defiantly be a bonus.

Any word on the new food pavilion they where planning on creating from the old Merry Go Round building? They had this on their blog a few years back and have not seen an update in awhile on it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:11 pm

I do not think I agree with the cashless system. I do not live anywhere near the park and If I had money left over could I exchange it for cash? That would be my first question. I will be going there on the Leviathan trip this summer and I guess I will have to get a card just to buy a soda! That is silly in my opinion.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Myself » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:19 pm

They did say they would accept credit/debit cards still, just not cash.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 pm

^ Yea, you are right. But to buy a simple soda with a credit card - that is a little silly in my opinion. I carry cash for things like that.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TJinPgh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:50 am

^ I've really got to go with you on this one.

I love Waldameer and get up there at least once every year. While I can understand the advantage to them to go with a cashless system (I mean, their game operators aren't allowed to touch the money anyway!), the fact is that no matter what denominations you add money to the card by, there is no way that you're not going to have money left over at the end of the day.

As long as they make it possible to get a refund on the balance, I'm cool with it. Otherwise? I'm not going to really appreciate having to figure out how to spend whatever's left when I may not want anything else. Or, worse yet, end up leaving it on the card for them to keep as some sort of tip.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:28 am

The whole point of a cashless system is to bring in additional revenues. They will not offer refunds on remaining balances, I can assure you.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TJinPgh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 am

Oh, I understand the point.

I also understand that the system will likely cost them more than they'll make off of it.

First will be the expense of initiating it. The cost of the kiosks. The cost of installing card readers at all of the games.
Then, there is the recurring cost of the cards. No refund... no incentive to turn it back in at the end of the day.

Second, consider where a park with free admission and free parking makes most of it's money. Food and games.

While it may seem like a nice convenience for both to simply swipe a card, if they are going to accept debit/credit cards for food they already have that convenience without the card. And, if they use the credit card instead of the wally card, it costs them money on every transaction.

Cashless system at games? Not a good idea for a revenue stream.

Most of the revenue gained from games isn't in the decision of a customer to play a game. It's in the impulse of the customer to KEEP playing the game when they lose.

Load the card up with $10-$20 and, at $2 a game you're going to burn through that quick.

When you have a wad of cash in your pocket, it's a heck of a lot easier to reach in on impulse and grab some than it is to go and re-fill the card.

The LAST thing you want is the customer walking away from something to refill that card. Once they walk away, the impulse walks away with it.

Yes, it's nice for water park customers to not have to worry about their money getting wet. Of course, not worrying about money getting wet also reduces the need to rent a l0<filled with medicine and goo. (why it wants to edit that word for the place where you keep your shoes at the park is beyond me)

But, beyond the local kids who might use the cards, there is no real advantage to using it for the typical customer.

This doesn't even touch on the money they will lose when the card reader goes down at the most popular games, as they no doubt will, simply from over-use.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 am

^ I sure hope the park reads your post and changes their mind. You are obviously an expert in this area and they have only been running a park and consulting with people who install cashless systems.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!