Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Mon May 26, 2008 10:39 pm

^^I assure you that is not a made up figure.

I found it while researching for my recent paper titled "The Aging of Classic Wooden Coasters".

Maybe it was referring to a certain manufacturers' coasters, or coasters that run with PTC's?

I will dig around tonight and try to find that paper, and if not, Google can do wonders! ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon May 26, 2008 10:42 pm

DBru wrote:^^I assure you that is not a made up figure.

I assure that it's bullsh1t.

I will dig around tonight and try to find that paper,

Hopefully it has a giant F on it with those facts.

and if not, Google can do wonders! ;)

Oh, yes because EVERYTHING written on the internet is true! :roll:

--Robb "Wait, I'm aruging with some 14 year old know-it-all kid, WTF am I doing?" Alvey

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 am

robbalvey wrote:
DBru wrote:^Did you know that approx. 1/7 of every wooden roller coaster *should* be re-tracked EVERY year?

(I know I know, wrong thread... ;) )

That is not true at all!

For example, I hear that Thunderhead has had ZERO of it's track replaced, and it doesn't need to. I'm not sure who told you that fact or if you just made it up, but you're absolutely wrong with that statement.

--Robb "LOL at 1/7 as the figure!" Alvey

I can definitely believe that Robb...I know for a fact that Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom received its VERY FIRST re-tracking after the 2005 season, and some say the only reason they did so was because the coaster derailed that season. The coaster was getting pretty rough around that time frame as well so the re-tracking came with open arms...7 SEASONS after the coaster opened in 1999.

I'll have to take Robb's side on this and say that those statistics just really don't sound right at all, and even if they were, there's no reason that ANY wooden coaster should have to have thousands of feet retracked after only one operating season, let alone a few months after opening (Boardwalk Bullet's case). But I can assure you that not every coaster is retracked yearly, because the fact of the matter is, most wooden coasters don't need it. But past installations have shown that Gravity Group coasters get beat up a lot quicker and have to be re-tracked much more sooner than say, a GCI. I just hope this doesn't happen with RF2 because the ride really is perfect just the way it is.
Ravine Flyer II Count: 52

Jolly jolly jolly jolly jolly

Postby Louise » Tue May 27, 2008 4:40 am

I've always been much more of a steel girl, and I rarely get all that excited to ride a new woodie, but this one has actually piqued my interest! Not sure why, because although Hades is high up on the list of must-rides, Voyage and Bullet haven't ever really mattered too much... Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get on them both, but wouldn't necessarily prioritise things around them.

Anyway, having said all that, I loved this video, which I think was just because it was totally hilarious to me in so many ways. Thanks Robb.

Oh, and Cameron's belly? :lover: :lover: :lover:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rwilli82 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:50 am

I think we have seen that GG can make aggressive coasters but in that comes a price of lots of retracking. We've also seen that GCI can make somewhat aggressive coasters AND the rolling stock to navigate it. The upfront cost is higher for a GCI but it makes up for the amount of long term maintenance of the ride.

I think Waldameer has a solid ride on its hands; however I hope that they can keep up with the maintenance or get the rolling stock necessary to keep the ride enjoyable. At this point its very reridable, much more than Voyage like I found out this past weekend.

~Rob Willi

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 am

EastCoastn07 wrote:I also didn't find Ravine Flyer II overwhelmingly rough either. Was it aggressive? Hell yea.

Hmm .. I didn't even find it that aggressive. Like others have said, it has a lot more in common with Raven than it does with the other two GG wooden coasters I've ridden (Voyage and Hades). It's really is a fun ride, with excellent forces; and best of all, it doesn't take work in order to ride it. It's exactly what a wood coaster should be.

Cameron.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 am

I think the crew will get it together. I over heard Paul taking about why they only are doing one train operation. He said they tested the crew on two trains before the ride ofically opened. He said the Crew was not comfortable because when you do 2 trains you have to increase your dispatches by 80%. I just hope they run 2 trains or try and speed up the dispatches.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Tue May 27, 2008 8:57 am

Cameron wrote:Hmm .. I didn't even find it that aggressive. Like others have said, it has a lot more in common with Raven than it does with the other two GG wooden coasters I've ridden (Voyage and Hades). It's really is a fun ride, with excellent forces; and best of all, it doesn't take work in order to ride it. It's exactly what a wood coaster should be.

My 56-year-old mom who has neck problems rode it, enjoyed it, and didn't think it was rough. Her comment was "It's been a long time since I rode a coaster that fast." It's not GCII or Intamin smooth, but then again it's probably not supposed to be.

kidcoaster 2 wrote:I think the crew will get it together. I over heard Paul taking about why they only are doing one train operation. He said they tested the crew on two trains before the ride ofically opened. He said the Crew was not comfortable because when you do 2 trains you have to increase your dispatches by 80%. I just hope they run 2 trains or try and speed up the dispatches.

The crew seemed decent enough: Not Disney efficient, but not Mt. Olympus lazy. They really need to do whatever it takes to get that second train going. Who wants to deal with big park lines at a small park?
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Tue May 27, 2008 9:57 am

Cameron wrote: It's really is a fun ride, with excellent forces; and best of all, it doesn't take work in order to ride it. It's exactly what a wood coaster should be.

That's exactly how I felt. It was a real fun ride, but really not intense at all. Although I only got one ride in the middle of the train.

Voyage on the other hand left me winded by the time it was over. It actually made me feel winded in the same way that smoking a pack a day used to do to me.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby ShannonSomerville » Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 pm

I,for one,really enjoyed it. The park went out of their way for us this past weekend. There are some sections that really give you a nice pop of airtime. Waldameer has a winner on their hands with this one.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!