Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks for the video link. I have to say the Ravine Flyer II does look like a winner.

I saw, went and conquered Steel Dragon 2000. It's still crap!

Postby wrebbit » Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Looks like a cool ride.

Though I'll probably never ride it in my life.
:evil: Incurring the wraith of the title fairy :evil:

Resident MINI Enthusiast

Postby ElToroExtreme » Wed May 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Looks really awesome! Gotta make my way there to ride it!

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby fergusonat » Thu May 15, 2008 6:52 am

I just hope this ride delivers on the airtime. The onride video suggests a few solid pops, to me, but hopefully some of the more unassuming drops/hills will deliver as well

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 am

raptor6 wrote:The thrills don't look on par with Voyage level, but it seems to be a great fit for Waldameer, as everyone in the family can have fun.

I don't know how you can base that off an onride POV, but okay...everyone's entitled to their opinion. I actually thought the coaster looked to have pretty quick pacing, especially through the first two hills and the turn around. I think it's going to be a great addition to Waldameeer and could possibly be the best wooden coaster in a few hour drive from Pittsburgh. I can't wait till Tuesday! :b
Ravine Flyer II Count: 52

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Thu May 15, 2008 10:45 am

I remain excited about this one. It just looks like my kind of ride: short but full of unique elements, terrain-y, lots of variety. I'm definitely being pulled up that way by it. :)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby raptor6 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:06 pm

EastCoastn07 wrote:
raptor6 wrote:The thrills don't look on par with Voyage level, but it seems to be a great fit for Waldameer, as everyone in the family can have fun.

I don't know how you can base that off an onride POV, but okay...everyone's entitled to their opinion. I actually thought the coaster looked to have pretty quick pacing, especially through the first two hills and the turn around. I think it's going to be a great addition to Waldameer and could possibly be the best wooden coaster in a few hour drive from Pittsburgh.

To me, the POV seems to imply a lack of speed on some of the hills, which is why I said the above statement. This is why I used the word "look." Check out the turnaround on the other side of the road. It just seems to die at the top of the hill (Hades seems to have the same problem from the POVs that I've watched, but it could be different in person). I've had this issue ever since I checked out the construction site last year. I'm sure that Ravine Flyer II will be awesome for the park and will a great ride, but I was just stating a concern from the POV.

When I rode Voyage, the coaster just had an out of control feeling, and a mostly good way. I enjoyed the sustained speed as the ride grabs you by the throat and refuses to let go. (Random thought: Voyage could have been a better Intamin Hyper than a woodie due to the high speeds and therefore less stress on the wood). I'll find out for myself when I go to Waldameer later this month.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby willski » Thu May 15, 2008 9:31 pm

raptor6 wrote:
To me, the POV seems to imply a lack of speed on some of the hills, which is why I said the above statement. This is why I used the word "look."

The pacing seemed fine to me. Some of the track shaping looked pretty bad though, for a brand new ride. By that I mean it appears like the workers mis-layed the track in a few spots, it just looks goofy. Maybe it's just the video.

You have to remember, Waldameer was going for a thrilling ride that the whole family can ride. They weren't going for a Voyage type ride. I think the high turnaround will have a pop as you crest in the front, and some floater down the drop in the back. Other than that, it seems to have air on every hill, especially that one with the anti-rollback strip at the crest, it really flew through that, especially since the ride is new.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 pm

willski wrote:Some of the track shaping looked pretty bad though, for a brand new ride. By that I mean it appears like the workers mis-layed the track in a few spots, it just looks goofy. Maybe it's just the video.

I think it's just the video. I noticed that some of the track looked "warped" in that video. Not sure why.

--Robb

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

More videos of the Ravine Flyer II

Postby CLSwitzer » Fri May 16, 2008 4:29 am

Here's a whole collection of Ravine Flyer II videos from the Erie Times-News.

A new one just posted last night shows some of the first riders on the coaster -- employees -- and their reactions with a camera mounted to look back at them.

Looks fun.

http://www.erietube.com/kickapps/servic ... er&as=3766

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!