Lagoon Discussion Thread

P. 137 - TPR's Official Cannibal POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Lagoon Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:30 pm

KBrylczyk wrote:I wish Lagoon would take a lesson from Hansa Park and build the ride to be operational ASAP, work on the themeing after the fact. It took Karnan, what, three years to be fully themed?

There are different theme park expectations between Europe and the United States.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:23 pm

Despite living about an hour away, I went to the park for the first time this season today. It was a fun day! I love this little park. Some thoughts on the rides:

Cannibal: Great as ever. Still a top 10 for me, and possibly my favorite first drop on any roller coaster. The amount of insane ejector air on that drop is ridiculously satisfying. The Lagoon roll ain't half bad, either!

Jet Star 2: "mini colossus" in my opinion. It's quite forceful and much more thrilling than it looks.

Colossus: I can't help but love this ride. It's a people eater, meaning it never has a line. Rode in the front, back, and middle, and I like the back the best (although they don't always let you choose your row). The ride is really forceful and gets so close to the ground at the end that the advice "keep your hands in the car" becomes very, very important. Man, what a ride!

Spider: Fun as always. Didn't spin too much this time around. I liked Sierra Sidewinder better.

Roller Coaster: Honestly, not as good as I remembered. My GP friends were not fans, but I enjoyed the ride. You can get some mini-pops of air in the front and the back, but nothing too crazy. It's a little shaky, but what else can you expect from a 1920 roller coaster? It has a really nice classic feel.

Bombora: Fun with good capacity; a great fit for the park. Surprisingly forceful on the helix.

Puff: I caved and got the credit. My friends were super embarrassed; I made them ride with me :p

Terror Ride: Surprisingly well done. A little morbid for my taste, but fun nonetheless.

Wicked: Eh. The tower and the well-designed zero-g roll were the only redeeming qualities. I'm sorry, but this ride has not aged well. The bottom of the drop hurt my back a bit, and all the turns and curves were all too rough to enjoy. I'm praying that Cannibal does not end up like this in a few years!

The park has an amazing collection of flats. A lot of flats make me sick, so I normally skip them. If you're into flat rides, though, you'll enjoy Lagoon.

Took a look over toward Primordial as I rode Rocket, though. I didn't get a picture from up there for obvious reasons, but it looks pretty interesting. There's what looks to be the start of an irregular-shaped building. I wish I could tell you more, but despite living close I rarely find the time to actually visit the park.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm

So, my time off has been approved and I am planning my West Coast trip.
Lagoon is not really near CA, but its not near anything really and since I apparently get out west every 6 years, I figure might as well make my layover Salt Lake City and check it out? Cannibal and the Schwarzkopf's alone seem worth it!
What crowds can be expected on a Sept weekend (like the Sat the 7th or Sun the 8th)? Earlier I was not sure on dates but now Im 99% certain it'll be one of those days. In general, how much time is needed to do the park and in general what can be expected?

I recall earlier some were saying there is reliable, easy public transport to get from the airport to lagoon without any need for rental car/uber/etc?
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 pm

I used a car during my one trip there simply because I needed to store my luggage somewhere. It is probably 20 minutes from the airport if I remember correctly, so an Uber wouldn't be too costly.

Wicked and Cannibal both have single rider lines that can save you a lot of time.

I think the biggest thing with Lagoon is whether or not you only care about the coasters. I thought I would have enough time to leave in the middle of the day to ride the nearby mountain coasters, but I absolutely needed a whole day there to do all the non-coasters and get rerides on everything.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:10 pm

I also recommend a full day at Lagoon. There are several great (classic) flat rides, Pioneer Village, a couple water rides such as Log Flume and Rattlesnake Rapids, and more in addition to the coasters.

Remember that Lagoon has a couple single rider policies (I don't know if you'll be alone or not). You cannot ride in the front or back row of any of the coasters, outside of Cannibal and Wicked since they seat 4 across. You also cannot ride Jet Star 2 without a partner. Sometimes you can pair up with another single in line or an employee may ride with you, but just keep that in mind.

It's a wonderful park with lots of charm that separates it from corporate parks. If you end up visiting on Sunday the 8th I may drive down and meet up if you're willing. I have a couple friends that will likely want to go as well.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby JJLehto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Depends on the quality of the flats. If a park has the type of flats I've seen before/nothing real stand out I won't lie I tend to skip em all. If they're good/unique I will deff wanna hit them up, and I always go for re-rides.

I will indeed be alone, I did know about the single rider policy and figured I will just not take the very back row, and would have to hope someone or some group would let me tag on for Jet Star 2.
That said, I will soon put out a concrete date and if anyone wants to meet up, naturally the more the merrier.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:46 am

Lagoon is awesome. They have a ton of great, unique rides. You need a full day. Going to Lagoon and only doing coasters would be a travesty.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Zand » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 am

This thread is making me sad. I was in SLC for a ski trip in March. Drove up to Jackson Hole for the weekend and on the way back into SLC on a Sunday Night I drove right by Lagoon and was surprised to see it already open. If I has known it opened in March I wouldve planned a day there. I always thought it was a tiny park but now after reading reading this thread I missed a good one.

Next time I guess.

Postby JJLehto » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:28 pm

coasterbill wrote:Lagoon is awesome. They have a ton of great, unique rides. You need a full day. Going to Lagoon and only doing coasters would be a travesty.

Awesome. I mean yeah Im all for that, its just rare parks seem to have much these days. I mean I will always do a giant frisbee, or I finally got to try an infamous Larson super loop (I got to do both at SFoG!) but yeah parks just lack unique rides. Its a shame. If Lagoon has got it, awesome.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:55 pm

There's the Green Line light rail that connects the airport to the commuter train that has a stop across Interstate 15 from Lagoon. There's a free shuttle that connects that train station to the park.

I would say we have a lot a flat rides. Some of the more unique or classic ones are; Samurai (Mondial Top Scan)
Rock-O-Plane (Eyerly Aircraft Rock-O-Plane)
Flying Aces (Bisch Rocco Flying Skooters 10; and they allow you to snap the cables!)
And if you're into dark rides, Lagoon has 2 Bill Tracy rides; Dracula's Castle and Terroride. Terroride was just refurbed a couple season's back and is phenominal, but Dracula's Castle has aged. Its slated to get a refurb for the next season, but it's rumor only.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!