Lagoon Discussion Thread

P. 137 - TPR's Official Cannibal POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Lagoon Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:56 am

JJLehto wrote:Coaster Studios.
Who's views I usually agree with, even in ways/rides I differ from many. Also, I just haven't heard much about it, or the park, at all so thus why Im seeking input. And yeah that drop has me kind of amazed. I am super curious what 200 foot (very) beyond vertical drop is like

Never, ever let one person's opinion dictate how you feel about a park, ride, or experience before you get to go there yourself. For all you know your favorite coaster could end up being Puff The Little Fire Dragon.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 pm

A.J. wrote:
JJLehto wrote:Coaster Studios.
Who's views I usually agree with, even in ways/rides I differ from many. Also, I just haven't heard much about it, or the park, at all so thus why Im seeking input. And yeah that drop has me kind of amazed. I am super curious what 200 foot (very) beyond vertical drop is like

Never, ever let one person's opinion dictate how you feel about a park, ride, or experience before you get to go there yourself. For all you know your favorite coaster could end up being Puff The Little Fire Dragon.

Nah I feel ya. Perhaps bad wording, (as Im prone to!) not like that swayed me either way, I was planning on going, just looking for input :)
And nah my #1 was MForce for 14 years no one's opinion can sway me.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:03 pm

JJLehto wrote:
Is it single rider friendly? I know some rides you cant ride front/back solo which is fine, and for any that require two people guess I'll have to ask someone, which is also fine.

One or two of the coasters required two riders. I can't recall the specifics, I'm sure a local will chime in.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Jet Star II is the only one not allowing single riders outright. You need to ride that one in groups of 2 or 3.

Lagoon doesn't allow single riders in the front or back row of any coaster except Spider (spinner) and Puff (kiddie). I think on the Wild Mouse single riders could only ride in the front or back (forget which).

Wicked and Cannibal have awesome single rider lines that'll save you a ton of time.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 pm

JJLehto wrote:Well, since I'll be in CA, which isn't close to Lagoon but the closest I'll be any time ever in the forseeable future, I may try to stop by. Perhaps take a layover in Salt Lake City. (Nothing flies directly to Tallahassee anyway) Esp since it seems I can get from the Airport to park without a rental car!?

I know this is a family park with a collection of mostly moderate rides, but I've heard good things about Wicked, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???) but I do love a Schwarzkopf. CoasterStudios, who's opinions seem to strongly align with mine, found the spinning coaster and....Roller Coaster not bad either.
Think its worth a day trip to the park? For a solo traveler esp? Is Cannibal as awesome as it seems?

I see that in Sept, when I'd likely be going, its basically weekend hours. Any idea what crowds would be like on a Sept weekend?

I would expect moderate to heavy crowds on a September weekend. It depends on if Frightmares has started yet since that draws lots of people. The park is definitely doable on crowded days though thanks to the wonderful single rider lines on Cannibal and Wicked as well as overall solid operations for the major rides.

Honestly, the worst part about crowded days at Lagoon is navigating through people on the midway since the park has no queue space for the major coasters, flat rides, or food services. On any crowded day, the lines spill into the walkways and can get rather obnoxious to deal with.

Cannibal is an excellent coaster. I wouldn't say it's "top 10 in the country" or anything of the like, but it does what it's supposed to very well and has some unique elements you really can't find on other coasters. I like it mostly for its originality and weirdness.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:58 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Cannibal is an excellent coaster. I wouldn't say it's "top 10 in the country" or anything of the like, but it does what it's supposed to very well and has some unique elements you really can't find on other coasters. I like it mostly for its originality and weirdness.

I actually disagree about the top 10 thing. I may be the black sheep here but I REALLY like Cannibal. It's in my personal top 10. Granted, I haven't been around the block nearly as much as a lot of the other people on the site, but I think Cannibal is just a fun coaster. It's super re-ride-able. It's not forceful, that's true, but it has a ton of hangtime and the first drop is absolutely amazing.

Take that for what you will. I hope I'm not alone in this, I think this ride deserves more credit than it gets.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:27 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:
JJLehto wrote:Well, since I'll be in CA, which isn't close to Lagoon but the closest I'll be any time ever in the forseeable future, I may try to stop by. Perhaps take a layover in Salt Lake City. (Nothing flies directly to Tallahassee anyway) Esp since it seems I can get from the Airport to park without a rental car!?

I know this is a family park with a collection of mostly moderate rides, but I've heard good things about Wicked, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???) but I do love a Schwarzkopf. CoasterStudios, who's opinions seem to strongly align with mine, found the spinning coaster and....Roller Coaster not bad either.
Think its worth a day trip to the park? For a solo traveler esp? Is Cannibal as awesome as it seems?

I see that in Sept, when I'd likely be going, its basically weekend hours. Any idea what crowds would be like on a Sept weekend?

I would expect moderate to heavy crowds on a September weekend. It depends on if Frightmares has started yet since that draws lots of people. The park is definitely doable on crowded days though thanks to the wonderful single rider lines on Cannibal and Wicked as well as overall solid operations for the major rides.

Honestly, the worst part about crowded days at Lagoon is navigating through people on the midway since the park has no queue space for the major coasters, flat rides, or food services. On any crowded day, the lines spill into the walkways and can get rather obnoxious to deal with.

Cannibal is an excellent coaster. I wouldn't say it's "top 10 in the country" or anything of the like, but it does what it's supposed to very well and has some unique elements you really can't find on other coasters. I like it mostly for its originality and weirdness.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. TPR to the rescue as always. It would likely be early to mid Sept. Waiting on WCB dates. I may just try a weekday, so in August, just to try and avoid the crowds entirely.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:Cannibal is an excellent coaster. I wouldn't say it's "top 10 in the country" or anything of the like, but it does what it's supposed to very well and has some unique elements you really can't find on other coasters. I like it mostly for its originality and weirdness.

I actually disagree about the top 10 thing. I may be the black sheep here but I REALLY like Cannibal. It's in my personal top 10. Granted, I haven't been around the block nearly as much as a lot of the other people on the site, but I think Cannibal is just a fun coaster. It's super re-ride-able. It's not forceful, that's true, but it has a ton of hangtime and the first drop is absolutely amazing.

Take that for what you will. I hope I'm not alone in this, I think this ride deserves more credit than it gets.
...4.5 Gs isn't forceful. Got it!

JJLehto wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. TPR to the rescue as always. It would likely be early to mid Sept. Waiting on WCB dates. I may just try a weekday, so in August, just to try and avoid the crowds entirely.

Yeah, August is Hot and Crowded, even on week days. lol I might be able to get a great discount voucher for you...maybe not as good as Doppel Looping, but close.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Don't You Know Who I Am? LagoonisFun.com

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm

linearinduction wrote:
pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:It's not forceful, that's true,

ok

whatever

It's forceful, but it doesn't throw you around like Maverick or anything.

better?

I guess forceful is the wrong word. It's not...intense? Again the wrong word because this ride will scare the living crap out of you if you're afraid of heights or hanging upside down with a lapbar. I think enthusiasts have been trying too hard to judge how good a ride is based on how crazy it moves and how much you'll get thrown around, hence the hype of RMC. Yes, those rides are good, because they're good at what they do. But different rides are good for different reasons. Among my personal top 10 are Beast, Diamondback, TTD, and Eejanaika and they are all COMPLETELY different rides. Cannibal does some weird crap, but instead of its gimmicks being outerbank turns and stengel dives, they're lagoon rolls and gigantic loops. It provides an insane amount of quality hangtime and that's why you'll fall in love with it when you ride.

Bottom line: Cannibal is a good ride. Throw out the typical enthusiast's "best coaster ever" and expect something completely new.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:
linearinduction wrote:
pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:It's not forceful, that's true,

ok

whatever

It's forceful, but it doesn't throw you around like Maverick or anything.

better?

I guess forceful is the wrong word. It's not...intense? Again the wrong word because this ride will scare the living crap out of you if you're afraid of heights or hanging upside down with a lapbar. I think enthusiasts have been trying too hard to judge how good a ride is based on how crazy it moves and how much you'll get thrown around, hence the hype of RMC. Yes, those rides are good, because they're good at what they do. But different rides are good for different reasons. Among my personal top 10 are Beast, Diamondback, TTD, and Eejanaika and they are all COMPLETELY different rides. Cannibal does some weird crap, but instead of its gimmicks being outerbank turns and stengel dives, they're lagoon rolls and gigantic loops. It provides an insane amount of quality hangtime and that's why you'll fall in love with it when you ride.

Bottom line: Cannibal is a good ride. Throw out the typical enthusiast's "best coaster ever" and expect something completely new.
I was just joshing you dude!

Don't You Know Who I Am? LagoonisFun.com

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!