Lagoon Discussion Thread

P. 137 - TPR's Official Cannibal POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Lagoon Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 am

You’re a National Park guy right?

We went to Lagoon because we were going to Yellowstone and generally SLC is the airport that people use to get there because (while it’s a few hours away) it’s the closest “major airport” to the park. I suggest making it primarily a Yellowstone trip with a day at Lagoon at the beginning or the end.

By the way, this is random but Lagoon has wild peacocks everywhere just walking around in queue lines and jumping up on tables. It’s insane. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 am

I preferred the random kangaroo exhibit.
IMG_20181006_124539.jpg
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:21 am

It's still there with all the other animals for the train.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm

coasterbill wrote:You’re a National Park guy right?

We went to Lagoon because we were going to Yellowstone and generally SLC is the airport that people use to get there because (while it’s a few hours away) it’s the closest “major airport” to the park. I suggest making it primarily a Yellowstone trip with a day at Lagoon at the beginning or the end.

By the way, this is random but Lagoon has wild peacocks everywhere just walking around in queue lines and jumping up on tables. It’s insane. :lol:

Oh that's awesome. I hadn't thought about SLC being close to Yellowstone, but yeah, that's a good idea. Filing that away for later; I have like 5 years worth of trips planned at this point just waiting for enough vacation time to accrue. :lol:

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't want to act like it's "close", but it's 4 hours and 40 minutes away which makes it the closest "major"airport so it's the one that most people use to go to Yellowstone. In Utah, Idaho and Montana terms it's close.

As an added bonus you could also take the slightly longer route that takes you through Grand Teton national park which is amazing. If you're a massive whore you can also go the non-scenic route and whore an SBF Spinner in the middle of f*cking nowhere (we passed on that one). :lol:

Bozeman and Jackson airports are closer to Yellowstone and Frontier does service them (only from Denver) but with Frontier or basically any airline you're probably going to need to connect and it's going to be prohibitively annoying and/or expensive, plus then you can't go to Lagoon and those airports are still well over an hour from Yellowstone and there's a 99% chance your plane will be delayed because of elk / moose on the runway or some sh*t...

Postby CoasterAuditor » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Man realizing all the national parks close to Lagoon greatly makes that park a lot more tantalizing. I've never been out west but if I plan a trip to Lagoon I might have to extend it for all the awesome road tripping to do out there.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby RCF » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:24 pm

I suggest visiting the national parks with Lagoon. During the summer months, Utah doesn't have much to offer besides Lagoon, Snowbird, (they have summer month activities and rides: multiple ski resorts out here do,) a small but well-run zoo, and LDS museums everywhere. If you're not into any of that other stuff, the national parks are the best bet to make the most out of a visit to Utah.

But, don't forget about the summer tubing that can be done at the Olympic Park during summer days as well. It is a bit more thrilling than you'd expect.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm

coasterbill wrote:I don't want to act like it's "close", but it's 4 hours and 40 minutes away which makes it the closest "major"airport so it's the one that most people use to go to Yellowstone. In Utah, Idaho and Montana terms it's close.

As an added bonus you could also take the slightly longer route that takes you through Grand Teton national park which is amazing. If you're a massive whore you can also go the non-scenic route and whore an SBF Spinner in the middle of f*cking nowhere (we passed on that one). :lol:

Bozeman and Jackson airports are closer to Yellowstone and Frontier does service them (only from Denver) but with Frontier or basically any airline you're probably going to need to connect and it's going to be prohibitively annoying and/or expensive, plus then you can't go to Lagoon and those airports are still well over an hour from Yellowstone and there's a 99% chance your plane will be delayed because of elk / moose on the runway or some sh*t...

:lol: Yeah man, under 5 hours is considered "close" in the West. You get used to distances out here.

And I would totally take Grand Teton over an SBF Spinner, especially considering we have one in Tulsa and that's 3 hours, or what we in the West call "next door."

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Having lived in Utah for a couple of years now, I can attest that there's actually quite a bit to do as long as you're down to drive a few hours. Driving south toward St. George will get you to Zion, Snow Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and a ton of less well-known state parks. Going in a kind of southeast direction from Salt Lake out toward Moab will get you to Arches (highly recommend), Canyonlands, and, again, a number of really good yet kind of off-the-map state parks (Dead Horse Point was a fun one). It's the opposite direction of Yellowstone but definitely worth the trip.

For those debating making the trip, though, I will say that I had been anticipating Cannibal for over three years (it opened right after I moved to Japan) and it did not disappoint in the slightest. One of my favorite roller coasters and definitely top 5 material (my credit count is 101). It's got a much better drop than Takabisha and the Lagoon roll gives some intense hangtime with just a lapbar! Like I said, it does feel a little out of place, but with Colossus, Roller Coaster, and Jet Star there as well I would hardly say Lagoon has a weak line up. The park feels small but has a solid collection of rides.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Outside of Cannibal, I think the star ride at Lagoon is Flying Aces. I hadn't heard anything about these flying scooters going into my visit, but they rival the Flyer at Knoebels. And the operators don't care one bit if you snap. In fact, one even encouraged me. :lol:

I loved Lagoon way more than a bunch of corporate parks with more impressive coaster lineups. Everything at the park outside of the food service was fantastic. The park is beautiful, both the walkways and the mountain backdrop. The customer service is incredible. The staff was friendly and efficient. Stacking is not a thing at that park.

I think the only way someone could leave the park upset is if they're a single rider who is absolutely butthurt that they cannot ride alone in the front or back seat of any coaster there.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!