Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

P. 45: The beginning of a waterpark in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:40 am

Domestically (within the U.S.) outside of NH, VT, or ME on public transportation (e.g., bus, train, plane, etc.)?

In the reopening guidelines, the restriction is if you've been on public transportation outside of NH, VT, or ME. So it looks like Massachusetts residents can go if they aren't using the MBTA to get to work.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Holiday World & Indiana Beach

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Zand » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Domestically (within the U.S.) outside of NH, VT, or ME on public transportation (e.g., bus, train, plane, etc.)?

In the reopening guidelines, the restriction is if you've been on public transportation outside of NH, VT, or ME. So it looks like Massachusetts residents can go if they aren't using the MBTA to get to work.

The place I read it removed the "public transportation" part (probably intentionally) but this is still a significant portion of their clientele. Not that anyone would admit to using public transportation if asked anyway.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:16 pm

I recently came across an old photo of the Yankee Cannonball in its former location at Lakewood Park in Waterbury, Connecticut. I knew Canobie had to modify the ride when they relocated it, but I didn't realize they had to remove (at least) the small bunny hill after the first drop. And I also didn't realize the ride was on a hill in its old location.

On the bright side, the pullout from the first drop is much smoother now. It looks like it'd be a back breaker in its old location.

I found the photo at the following website:

freepages.rootsweb.com/~shepaug/history/amusement/lakewood.html
lakewood1.jpg

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Whoa! Great find! Other than the harsh pullout from the first drop, I think that layout looks really fantastic. Looks like quite the triple-down!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:15 am

Canobie Lake Park opened for the 2020 season last week. Canobie is taking many of the similar precautions we've seen of other parks. That includes:

- Reservations with a timed entry.
- Rows skipped on attractions.
- Periodic cleaning of the ride vehicles.
- Health screening questionnaire and temperature screenings.
- Masks required in the park.
- Social distancing in the queue lines.

Entrance (Ground).JPG
Canobie's gorgeous entrance is blocked for 2020, but it's all in the name of safety.

Social Distance Marker.JPG

River Slides.JPG
The water park has a separate capacity cap from the rest of the park, so you may have to wait in line to enter on a hot day.

Canobie is going beyond other parks on the last 3 items. The health screening questionnaire is similar to the ones at the Herschend and Cedar Fair parks, except there is also a question if you've been on public transportation recently. That includes planes (hence why I had to wait a few days to visit) and Boston's subway system.

To enforce mask wearing and social distancing, all of the popular rides (coasters and water rides) have an employee roaming the queue line telling people to put their masks on/pull them above their noses or to step back to give groups 6 feet of space. In general, mask and social distancing compliance at Canobie far exceeded most of the parks I visited in the midwest.

Roughly 1/3 of the park's rides were closed. All of the indoor attractions were closed, although I did see an employee atop the Turkish Twist presumably being trained. And several other rides hadn't been assembled yet for the season. That included favorites like Star Blaster, Caterpillar, and the Rowdy Roosters. The Xtreme Frisbee was also closed, but that very well could have been for mechanical reasons knowing how unreliable it has become.

Canobie has a status page on their website they plan to update daily, so definitely check back if there's a specific ride you want to see open.

https://www.canobie.com/updates/

Star Blaster Rehab.JPG
Those seats look comfy.

Rowdy Roosters Deconstructed.JPG
Hopefully the Roosters will fly at some point in 2020.

Dodgem Covered.JPG
Dodgem had some plastic tarps added around the arena.

One of the park's planned projects for 2020 was a new shaded queue line for the Yankee Cannonball. Unfortunately, this queue was not finished for the start of the season. The framework was set-up, but the coverings were not added. On the bright side, this allowed Canobie to create a custom, temporary queue for the season that accounted for social distancing.

And those familiar with the park may notice the fountain in front of the Yankee Cannonball is not present this year, presumably so they had more space to route the coaster's queue line.

Yankee Cannonball Station.JPG
This should look a lot better next year.

Yankee Cannonball Missing Fountain.JPG
No fountain in 2020, but there's a cool aerial shot of the park hanging on the wall instead.

New Building.JPG
I believe the building to the left of the Yankee Cannonball is where they will sell the on-ride photos they planned to install on Yankee Cannonball for the 2020 season.

With social distancing, it was hard to gauge the queue lines for some of the more popular rides. Obviously this could change based on dispatch speed/when the cleanings occur, but in general here are the wait times for the marquee attractions if you see a full queue.

Yankee Cannonball- 40 minutes (every other row)
Untamed- 20 minutes (queue consists of only 1 switchback, one party per car)
Canobie Corkscrew- 15 minutes (entire queue used, but it's spaced out more)
Boston Tea Party- 40 minutes (only front and back row of boat being loaded, one boat in use)

Yankee Cannonball Turn.JPG
I recognized the Yankee Cannonball staff from last year, so they were quickly dispatching trains. The queue just moved slowly due to the reduced capacity and one train operations.

Untamed Drop.JPG
Untamed rarely stacks, which was much appreciated with the reduced capacities.

Untamed Cutback.JPG
Watch your head on the cutback.

Untamed Pullout.JPG
I love the birch bark themed supports.

Boston Tea Party Lost Phone.jpg
The Boston Tea Party gets people soaked. It gets phones even wetter if you break park rules and lose your phone in the water.

Hopefully Canobie can reopen a few more rides in the coming weeks, but I'm just thankful they reopened. And with the precautions they have taken, they are among the best parks I've seen for enforcing safety among guests.

Safety Squad.JPG
Say hello to the safety squad. They roam down the midway blasting music from the Antique Car while also spraying disinfectant.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm

One positive of the reservation system is that Canobie called to let anyone with a reservation for tomorrow know that they are closing the park due to the bad weather forecast. That makes my life a lot easier since I was going to have to keep an eye on the website to see if they even opened or closed early.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby The Great Zo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I love the birch bark themed supports.

Those are really cool. Coincidentally or not, it's sort of a Eurofighter thing, isn't it? Duinrell's got wood-painted supports on Falcon, which are also quite nice, but I've spent a lot of time in NH so I really like the birch version.

The phone in the water made me chuckle. :lmao:
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR -- 2015 CP -- 2017 FL
Trip Reports: 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA -- 2019 CP -- 2019 Euro -- 2019 GC

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:59 am

^ Canobie also has the birch themed supports on their Sky Ride. I think they added that touch the year Untamed opened.

I've never been to Duinrell, but that doesn't surprise me since that's a heavily wooded park from the photos I've seen.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!