Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 21 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby sdcfan88 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm

That was their version of The Flooded Mine that is currently seen at SDC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4h3VUe5OHI

And here is a video with pictures referencing it but no on ride footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48f9cXvdiOA&feature=youtu.be&t=145
Last edited by sdcfan88 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm

As I kid I loved that section of Dollywood. Flooded Mine and Blazing Fury next to each other was the place to be. Great video there. Brought back lots of memories.

On Blazing Fury I love that they added a little nod to the old Flooded Mine years ago. You can see one of the miners trying to escape off to the right near the beginning.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 am

sdcfan88 wrote:That was their version of The Flooded Mine that is currently seen at SDC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4h3VUe5OHI

And here is a video with pictures referencing it but no on ride footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48f9cXvdiOA&feature=youtu.be&t=145

The Flooded Mine was actually where Daredevil Falls is now. The tunnel used to have an attraction on top of it that was similar to Grandfather's Mansion at Silver Dollar City. I think it was called like Inventer's Mansion or something but it closed several years ago. It also housed the original location of Dolly's Rag to Riches Museum. Inside the tunnel, they used to have the gem mining shop and then an arcade.

The building was in bad shape and pretty sure they recently tore it down.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby mikeykaise » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 am

Thanks, it was a shame to see it boarded up and not being used. It would make a good location for a dark ride of some sort. It's definitely a good place to go to if you want to cool off without having to go to a show to do it.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 am

megan wrote:Just saw where Hallmark channel will start filming “Christmas at Dollywood” next month. That explains why the lights are already starting to go up when I was there last week. Thought it was WAY too early this year.

That’s very interesting! I’ll have to remember to keep an eye out for the special to air or hopefully someone here will post. How did you find out they’re going to be filming that? I didn’t see any Xmas lights going up when I was there 2 weeks ago so it must have just started!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Jdprince45 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am

Movie to film in Dollywood in August for Hallmark Christmas Movie https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/1695832001

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby megan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

TBpony414 wrote:
megan wrote:Just saw where Hallmark channel will start filming “Christmas at Dollywood” next month. That explains why the lights are already starting to go up when I was there last week. Thought it was WAY too early this year.

That’s very interesting! I’ll have to remember to keep an eye out for the special to air or hopefully someone here will post. How did you find out they’re going to be filming that? I didn’t see any Xmas lights going up when I was there 2 weeks ago so it must have just started!
A lot of the buildings in craftsman area are outlined already. They’re probably using that area a lot since it’s the most “Smokey mountains Dollywood” in the park. Interesting they are switching to LED ( that area still used all incandescent probably for the warm look) wonder if they need the brightness of LED to read better on camera?

Elissa + Hangman Fanboy

Postby FlippyTrick09 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:33 am

The Geek Mojo wrote:I've rode many Disk 'O rides before...They're pretty fun so I make it a point to ride one at every park I go to. And the only one I've ever been told to put my hands down and hold the handle bars is at Dollywood. Of course, I obeyed and did as the park requested, because always follow park rules. But I was just wondering if anyone has ever been told that at another park on a Disk 'O before or is it just a Dollywood thing? I've just never heard it before and the ride operator there at Dollywood was kind of passionate about it too...Constantly screaming at everyone while the ride is in motion, "Put your hands down!" And even after the ride, the line operator would scold little kids and grown ups for their constant raising of the hands. It was just weird to see. Now, Dollywood has the right to do whatever, it's their park and their rules. I just felt that there was no joy in the operator's tone. I also kind of got that vibe at other rides too. Ride operators over microphones saying park rules over and over again...With no sense of joy in their job. There was no, "How did you enjoy your ride" or "Who's ready to ride" or any kind of message with great joy for them or the guests. I understand that parks have to put up with all kind of bad behavior from guests and I'm sure Dollywood has had to deal with a lot of it also with the amount of guests they entertain on a daily basis...But I'm kind of worried that Dollywood is getting a little beat down by it and letting it show. I was at Silver Dollar City the month before, who is operated by the same company, and the ride operators there were joyous and happy and interactive in way that made you feel welcome. While at Dollywood, it felt like they were kind of unhappy and beat down, no joy whatsoever. Not going to say it was that way for every ride, but the majority of them felt that way. And I hate to say this about Dollywood, because I love the place! It's a park I go to every year and will continue to go there...But I am a little worried about them though.

I asked an employee about the hands rule on the Disk 'O, and they said it was due to how the restraints operate on this particular (older) model. Once restraints are "locked" they will no longer open, but they can continue to ratchet forward while the ride is in motion. The hands-down rule is to help guests brace themselves against the back to prevent any unnecessary tightening of the restraint during the ride cycle. I highly doubt it would cause any injury, but I'm sure it could easily frighten a small child (or an adult :lol: ).

Also, the operator I talked to was very happy and kind, so hopefully your experience was just a fluke!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby shoesfather » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 am

Shooting a Christmas movie in August is going to be miserably hot. Can't imagine wearing sweaters in mittens in that heat. Also won't the foliage make it obvious that it is summer? I guess it's Hallmark so the details aren't that important.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby carolinaman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:15 pm

We took a tour of Thunderhead's lift hill Saturday during Thrills in the Hills. They shared a lot of great info about Thunderhead!!! Pete Owens was at the top waiting on us and shared even more info. PLUS you can get a great view of "phase 2"

https://youtu.be/-zYyEv1LDXY

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!