Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:49 pm

LukeFlynn wrote:I didn't personally try the hot dogs this year, but I heard they were pretty bad. I also heard the stand doesn't provide mustard!? What is this!?

I liked the corn dogs okay last year at Dogs 'n Taters, haven't gotten a chance to try them this year yet.

I'm going to try a sit-down restaurant my next visit to see if that's a better experience than the stands.

They had mustard last year.. I mean, those aren't bad hotdogs they are just your basic boiled small dogs.. dogs and taters is much better than the small stand in wilderness pass

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Jccoasterfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm

I ate at Red's only once last season, but back on Friday we ate at Lillian's for lunch and Front Porch Cafe for dinner right before we left the park.

I've always had a preference for Lillian's over Aunt Granny's due to the food tasting a bit fresher. In fact, I thought Miss Lillian's tasted better this year than last year. Front Porch was also really good, I'm so glad they kept some of the favorites from the former Backstage Restaurant.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Glad to hear Lightning Rod is running well, can't wait to get more laps on it. But really sad they got rid of the Q-bots, I am now likely to spend less money at the park.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby carolinaman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:21 pm

I will be there in two weeks with the family. It has been 22 years since I have been there and looking at these pictures, I can't wait.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the new system over the Q-Bot. The ability to just walk to the next ride and not reserve it appeals to me. Like the freedom of not having to worry about reserving and being to change my plans as I go.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BigBad » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I think the complaints are legitimate and have three sources. One is that the tabs could fall off quite easily. The second is that the band could be uncomfortable. The third is that it's only ten rides. Compare that to my Fast Lane at Carowinds last year, which got me close to ten night rides on Fury alone.

I'd like to see them use a Fast Lane system like Cedar Fair does.

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Coasterbill my face pretty much looked exactly like yours on my first ride... and during my entire wait for my second ride. :lol:
Seriously this ride is the textbook definition of balls to the wall nuts. I may have involuntarily yelled out of excitement sitting on the brake run after my first front seat ride as well. You know when a ride is just so f**king good you just have to yell for no reason?
You all need to get your butts to Pigeon Forge and ride this.

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:27 pm

AndrewRnR wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the new system over the Q-Bot. The ability to just walk to the next ride and not reserve it appeals to me. Like the freedom of not having to worry about reserving and being to change my plans as I go.

Another issue though is this is Dollywood.. you can use your 10 rides up in about an hour with the new system.. with the old you could ride unlimited and I know people who would get 30 rides in on a slower day

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm guessing the previous system was administered completely by Lo-Q/Accesso and they just paid a percentage of sales to the park (that is how I understood Six Flags does it), whereas with this system they take 100% of the profits. I'm curious how it will work out in the long run. Is it cheaper/the same/more expensive for the guest to use the wristband vs the Q-Bot?

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Back from my trip today, overall good day.. operations were fine except on LR..

A few tips
1.) They have changed the season pass holders processing center.. basically they flipped it with the old ticket center.. I didn't read the sign and waited in line at the old season pass holders processing center to find out it was for tickets only.. I had to go to the old ticket windows to process my pass.. my fault, I should have read the sign! Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not..

2.) Food truck moved! Not far, mainly to the other side of the road but it can't be seen from market square anymore! I almost died when I didn't see it because those chicken sandwiches were to die for!

Few complaints that I will definitely mention on a survey if they send one like they normally do or for Dollywood to read here.. Not deal breakers but a big drop in the quality Dollywood normally achieves.

1.) Lumberjack Pizza is made the same way but the new sauce is very bad.. I believe they used to make their sauce homemade (at least the old sign had the ingredients for what they "use" in the sauce).. The new sauce is sweet and very cheap tasting.. like someone said, it really did taste like lunchables sauce.. what's worse is, overall the pizza is great and only ruined by the sauce.. I had no cheese issues the other person had.. Also, price went up and pizza is smaller! Shame on you Dollywood.. Freestyle machines are nice but they yelled at me for a refill! Really, free style machines and no refill even if buying a drink!? Again not sure if it was a new employee that didn't know the policy or if Dollywood is really being stingy on the freestyle machine.. Reds has always allowed me free refills on their freestyle machines

2.) Festival of Nations food really? The Asian almost doubled in price and really wasn't very good.. not like last year's which was authentic and very delicious.. I actually ate it 7 or 8 times last year.. Crepes, yeah decent flavor but not fresh and I'm sure their bakery could do much better with them if moved there.. Tacos looked decent, I didn't have them but the sides looked like TV dinner portions and quality.. I didn't want to try it.. I'm normally very happy with the Festival of Nations food but this year it was a letdown.. let's hope their BBQ is full quality when they have it in a few months!

I wasn't the only one there noticing these food issues either.. Lumberjacks was empty with people saying it's no good anymore and two people walked out of the Asian line when they saw the food.. One guy in the Crepes line got his and said "nevermind, just charge me for the drink" and handed it back..

3.) Was it just me or did they not have many vendors this year for Festival of Nations? Now that I mention it, I can't recall one vendor that offered gifts from other nations.. if they had some, they didn't stand out like normal.

4.) My last and final complaint is the new fastpass system.. the band, yeah I won't be buying one anytime soon..

As for the other food! No worries, it looked as good as usual, smelled as good as usual, and tasted as good as usual! At least what I tried

Like I said earlier, the hotdog guy someone posted a pick of is beside the wilderness pass hotdog stand.. the stand that has been there for years, although closed a lot.. it's on the hill to the stands right.. Now this hotdog stand isn't horrible BUT it's your basic small hotdogs boiled in water and a bag of chips for like $6.. around $5 with a gold pass.. nice snack, but not a meal.. I didn't have it this time but ate there once last year and wanted to clear that up.. my last post made it sound like these hotdogs are very bad. someone posted they didn't have mustard but when I walked by they had packs of ketchup, mustard, and relish.. maybe they had ran out yesterday? Again, if you want a snack and don't mind boiled hotdogs, this is a decent stand. If you want a real dog, go to dogs and taters..

Drop Line looks amazing, it's tall, and you can clearly see it stands way above the treeline.. Looked like they are running it's cable now..

The new grass area in the fair area was very popular!! Dollywood, if you read this, last season you sold Hammocks (a generic ENO).. I didn't see if you offered them this year or not but hammock stands in that area would be AMAZING or even hammock stands somewhere else in the park! Just a suggestion but I feel they would be very popular, especially with hammocks so popular in the area already..

Operations, overall were fine.. LR was slow loading and unloading, and whoever refills the forks in Market Square had failed at their job and most dispensers had 0 forks.. aside from that's, lines moved quickly and. everyone was friendly.. I do suggest some folks to help guide people with the new ticket windows..

I enjoyed several shows.. the Polish show was great and so was mother Africa..

Overall very fun day! And these complaints in this post are here to help Dollywood improve.. others have mentioned a few of these same issues..

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!