Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 20 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby jimmiemac02 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 pm

ParcMan wrote:^^ What the!? The Timsaver wristband looks terrible and uncomfortable, I can see why you would be worried that the tabs would came off. Are they only connected by two tiny little points? That's a shameful system Dollywood has got here. Hopefully enough people complain and get the park to never do this again. It just looks like a guest service nightmare.

Yes, they are only connected by two little points and they are very prone to fall off especially if you are wearing a jacket with long sleeves.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby mckayj93 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Some Timber Canyon pics! Really opened up the area. Will be a big help with crowds.
image1.JPG
New entrance to Timber Canyon from Showstreet
image2.JPG
New theming on path
image3.JPG
Drop Line coming into view!
image4.JPG
New theming. These were pretty funny!
image5.JPG
New Timber Canyon theming
image6.JPG
Ate for the first time at Granny Ogle's Ham and Beans. Was really good and cheaper than I expected.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/df16b4157457c4e34f35035a174d6293.jpg[/img][/url]

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby STDog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 pm

CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:Wild Eagle 7/10
---A solid ride but just seemed too short and lacking any real force.

It's not supposed to be forcefull. The point is to soar like an eagle riding a thermal.

And it's not as short as it feels. It's​ so smooth and fluid, it doesn't​ feel like you done much. There are some good Gs on it though.

Site Admin

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread-Mini Trip Report

Postby robbalvey » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm

jimmiemac02 wrote:TimeSaver:
The way it works is you get a wristband with 10 tabs. 8 have butterflies, 2 have Xs. The 8 with butterflies can be used for any ride except Lightning Rod and Dropline. The 2 with Xs can be used for any ride. The tabs are very very flimsy and can fall off at any time. Many people in our group lost tabs and forfeited the skip the line pass since the host at the entrance has to physically remove the tab from the wristband.

Wait...what happened to Q-Bot?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LukeFlynn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:54 pm

SFOG1991 wrote:^I agree the issues are less severe but Lightning Rod still has a lot of issues. It's gone down multiple times today. The operations are quite slow too. At least it's running for the most part though! Two trains is a huge help.

Yes, the operations are frankly terrible. I sat on the brake run/transfer lift for as much as 5 minutes (timed) on Friday. I would attribute this to opening day hype, but it was exactly the same last season. It's likely due to the restraints, it's not uncommon for at least one person on the train to be too large or tall and require them to unlock all of the restraints to let that person exit.
Dear God, the Donkeys are invading my life.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks for the photos!!

Drop Line looks massive!! I can't wait to be going down on it!!
Bigger is not always better.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:46 am

Bobby2889 wrote:
blakelemay23 wrote:What a strange place for that.

But then again.. would a creepy statue of a hot dog showering himself in ketchup fit anywhere in the park?

I think it used to be in Rivertown Junction next to the only place it would fit, next to Dogs n Taters.

Actually it used to be in wilderness be pass right before you got to wild eagle beside the hotdog stand that was never opened.. all the stand offered were hotdogs and a bag of chips. Tiny boiled hotdogs at that. I found it open once last year and tried it. Waste of $5 lol. before that it might have been beside dogs and taters... I have seen it moved to other random places as well, I think they do it now just to be funny. One time it was beside Tennessee Tornado on the roof beside the cow but the next day it was moved back down the hill.. makes me wonder if it gets moved due to staff pranks lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Last edited by dstephe9 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 am.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:53 am

jimmiemac02 wrote:^^^I was at the park today and didn't even notice him. That's a really weird location.

It was a great opening day at the park! The crowds really didn't come in till about 2 pm due to the drizzling rain in the morning.

This morning we got a backstage tour of Lightning Rod. I learned a few things:
-the trunks will return to the trains eventually
-the main problem was with the launch system (they did a lot of reprogramming over the off season)
-they added an extra set off brake fins on the underside of the train to help with the rollback
-the handles were added day before yesterday because people wanted something to hold onto
-the transfer lift was made by Larson (yes, drop tower Larson)

Other Improvements:
-Timber Canyon path widening really helped with the crowds today
-Extra set pieces were added to the path (see pics below)
-Thunderhead's station looks wonderful with its new paint job
-The merge point at FireChaser Express now has an attendant that assigns seats but the good news is that if you have TimeSaver (more on that in a moment) you won't have to wait 15 minutes to get on because there are only 2 trains worth of people ahead of you instead of 7 or 8

TimeSaver:
The way it works is you get a wristband with 10 tabs. 8 have butterflies, 2 have Xs. The 8 with butterflies can be used for any ride except Lightning Rod and Dropline. The 2 with Xs can be used for any ride. The tabs are very very flimsy and can fall off at any time. Many people in our group lost tabs and forfeited the skip the line pass since the host at the entrance has to physically remove the tab from the wristband.

See I don't think you can believe anything that's said about LR.. most people before this year said the launch had 0 issues and even at a coaster event late November Pete said the majority of the issues were due to the train (which is why the launched never engaged). All the rollback issues I saw, the train didn't even try to launch.

He also said the trunks would be back this season (didn't say at opening) but said they would be rewiring and reworking the trains which would fix most of the issues

So now with someone on the backstage tour saying it was mostly launch issues who knows.. I don't believe anything I hear about it now I guess lol

As for the wristbands that replaced qbot, do they let you buy them at the ticket window now? The only reason I can even see that made Dollywood think this was a good idea is if it allowed guest to buy them at the ticket window allowing for a more streamlined process and possibly increase sales of the bands.. Why else get rid of a good system!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 am

jimmiemac02 wrote:
ParcMan wrote:^^ What the!? The Timsaver wristband looks terrible and uncomfortable, I can see why you would be worried that the tabs would came off. Are they only connected by two tiny little points? That's a shameful system Dollywood has got here. Hopefully enough people complain and get the park to never do this again. It just looks like a guest service nightmare.

Yes, they are only connected by two little points and they are very prone to fall off especially if you are wearing a jacket with long sleeves.

I'm not happy about this. My son is prone to pick at things, and with his limited verbal skills, I'm seeing a near 100% possibility that he picks off a tab not understanding that it means we can't go on the roller coaster for a while. Whereas I could manage the Qbot and he just enjoys his day.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby jimmiemac02 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 am

dstephe9 wrote:See I don't think you can believe anything that's said about LR.. most people before this year said the launch had 0 issues and even at a coaster event late November Pete said the majority of the issues were due to the train (which is why the launched never engaged). All the rollback issues I saw, the train didn't even try to launch.

He also said the trunks would be back this season (didn't say at opening) but said they would be rewiring and reworking the trains which would fix most of the issues

So now with someone on the backstage tour saying it was mostly launch issues who knows.. I don't believe anything I hear about it now I guess lol

As for the wristbands that replaced qbot, do they let you buy them at the ticket window now? The only reason I can even see that made Dollywood think this was a good idea is if it allowed guest to buy them at the ticket window allowing for a more streamlined process and possibly increase sales of the bands.. Why else get rid of a good system!

My source of information on the backstage tour was Pete and Barry (I think that was his name, he's the senior maintenance guy).

No, they do not sell TimeSavers at the ticket window. The process is not streamlined and still takes the same amount of time as to purchase a Q-Bot.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!