Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 19 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby vertec909 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Few other pictures
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Bobby2889 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Has anyone else noticed this guy, or have an answer as to why he's been moved to this area of the park?

Just saw it on instagram and had a "wait wtf" moment. Did they put a hot dog stand over in wilderness pass?
IMG_0432.PNG
Random Hotdog

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby blakelemay23 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:57 pm

What a strange place for that.

But then again.. would a creepy statue of a hot dog showering himself in ketchup fit anywhere in the park?

Cedar Point - Ride Operator
Sky Ride Crew 2016
Sky Ride Team Leader 2017
Sky Ride Supervisor 2018

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Bobby2889 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:19 pm

blakelemay23 wrote:What a strange place for that.

But then again.. would a creepy statue of a hot dog showering himself in ketchup fit anywhere in the park?

I think it used to be in Rivertown Junction next to the only place it would fit, next to Dogs n Taters.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ParcMan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:03 pm

vertec909 wrote:[/img]Image[/url]

I love this picture and the way Thunderhead's turn backdrops Dropline. Such a cool sight line. I've never been to Dollywood, I'm hoping to get there this year and check this view out myself.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Went to Dollywood today for the first time ever. My wife and 3 year old daughter joined me and I have to say I was impressed for the most part. The rides we ride were great and while I wasn't able to enjoy all of the major coasters the ones I did were all very good. Unfortunately Mystery Mine was down most of the day so I missed out and Lightning Rod was on and off and when it was working had at least a 30 to 45 min wait (unfortunately my daughter was not going to sit for that).

So I thought she would have been tall enough to ride Firechaser as I measured her at home before we left and she reached the 39in plateau they said you needed to be, well they must add a little to those height sticks and charts because she was a hair(literally) to short for them. Needless to say she was devastated as was I and I choose not to ride so she wouldn't be upset, but that's what future visits are for.

We did get to ride most of the country fair rides which my daughter enjoyed, however most of those lines were surprisingly long for the short ride cycles. That area really does get congested being the main ride area other than water rides or coasters. The Rockin Roadway was pretty fun for a car ride and Splash Battle was pretty fun even if not many people were riding. We skipped the other water rides mostly because it was too cool for them even though it was a really nice day out.

As for the coasters I did ride:
Blazing Fury 5/10
---Not a bad ride and hardly a wait, the story is really convoluted if you don't know it but you get the jist of it and the drops are pretty fun and a little surprising. A good family ride as well, but I wouldn't wait too long for it.

Wild Eagle 7/10
---A solid ride but just seemed too short and lacking any real force. The final twists before the breaks had a little but it was a little punchless. This was also my first Wing Coaster so maybe others are better but it wasn't a bad intro to the Wing Type. The station and theming around were amazing as were most of the coasters.

Tennessee Tornado 8/10
---Loved this Arrow however it was still a little rough but I'm shorter than most so maybe my head is just going to bounce around more lol. Either way pretty darn smooth and that first drop was great. The only knock is the short ride time but not having a huge wait didn't hurt.

Thunderhead 9/10
---Wow, this woodie really lived up to the hype, it was fast and really forceful and even had some decent airtime in some spots. It was a little rough but it is getting old now, however it was much smoother than most, the flyer trains probably help with that. And it had the shortest wait of the coasters too at a couple train loads thanks to two trains running. You really had no idea which way you were going to go next, a stellar Coaster.

Overall we all enjoyed the park with the exception of the firechaser mishap, food was great, atmosphere was everything I had expected it to be. Staff was very friendly and had that southern charm. I would rank it up there with Busch Gardens Williamsburg as my favorite theme park not named Disney. I'm a sucker for theme and thematic elements so thianpark easily won me over right from the front gate. My only real knocks on the park would be the layout which is tough to navigate unless you basically go in a loop and do a lot of back tracking, it's a huge park and it really takes its toll on you. The second would be something the park could fix possibly, they lack more family rides for smaller guests (36'' and below) outside of Country Fair. It was hard to ride the big coasters and keep my daughter entertained while doing so. They had a couple of little playgrounds but not enough and no rides other than River Battle and soon to open Whistlepunk Chaser they don't have any rides for those 36 and under from the lower park to the other side by Thunderhead. They have rides for families but they are just not spaced out well enough, I love how Hershey does it where they mix adult and kid/family rides together. But in a year or two it shouldn't matter for us but it would be nice for others.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:142
STEEL:113
WOOD:29
PARKS:27

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:13 pm

The drop tower looks great!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread-Mini Trip Report

Postby jimmiemac02 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm

^^^I was at the park today and didn't even notice him. That's a really weird location.

It was a great opening day at the park! The crowds really didn't come in till about 2 pm due to the drizzling rain in the morning.

This morning we got a backstage tour of Lightning Rod. I learned a few things:
-the trunks will return to the trains eventually
-the main problem was with the launch system (they did a lot of reprogramming over the off season)
-they added an extra set off brake fins on the underside of the train to help with the rollback
-the handles were added day before yesterday because people wanted something to hold onto
-the transfer lift was made by Larson (yes, drop tower Larson)

Other Improvements:
-Timber Canyon path widening really helped with the crowds today
-Extra set pieces were added to the path (see pics below)
-Thunderhead's station looks wonderful with its new paint job
-The merge point at FireChaser Express now has an attendant that assigns seats but the good news is that if you have TimeSaver (more on that in a moment) you won't have to wait 15 minutes to get on because there are only 2 trains worth of people ahead of you instead of 7 or 8

TimeSaver:
The way it works is you get a wristband with 10 tabs. 8 have butterflies, 2 have Xs. The 8 with butterflies can be used for any ride except Lightning Rod and Dropline. The 2 with Xs can be used for any ride. The tabs are very very flimsy and can fall off at any time. Many people in our group lost tabs and forfeited the skip the line pass since the host at the entrance has to physically remove the tab from the wristband.
IMG_3739.JPG
FireChaser Express merge point
IMG_3740.JPG
New signage
IMG_3741.JPG
New signage
IMG_3744.JPG
Timber Canyon path set piece
IMG_3746.JPG
#minewatch2018
IMG_3748.JPG
New sign found near Daredevil Falls
IMG_3750.JPG
TimeSaver pass with flimsy tabs

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby drummermattk » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Might be hitting Dollywood next Sunday for the first time. The idea is still being discussed. But you will see me at Kentucky Kingdom on Saturday! Hopefully I will get down to Dollywood this year!
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head 
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ParcMan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:45 pm

^^ What the!? The Timsaver wristband looks terrible and uncomfortable, I can see why you would be worried that the tabs would came off. Are they only connected by two tiny little points? That's a shameful system Dollywood has got here. Hopefully enough people complain and get the park to never do this again. It just looks like a guest service nightmare.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!