TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

One of the operators said it usually means it was launched too fast. The launch felt like normal. We just were really slowed by those brakes at the top and slowly rolled all the way back to the base of the hill where they released us and walked us back to the station. When I had got in line the ride went down for like 30 minutes or so then ran like 5 test cycles. My rollback was maybe the 8th or so cycle after it had reopened.

The same operator said it had happened four times the day before.

Unpopular Opinion Time: I think Lightning Rod will soon wind up being what Buzzsaw Falls was for SDC. A problem prone coaster prototype that will get converted into something else in a few years. There has just been way too much downtime with this thing.

^ Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Changing topics quickly because that doesn't really require further discussion, does anyone know when Dollywood's 2020 season passes will go on sale? We skipped picking them up last year, but are probably going to do so this season so we can visit this Christmas and next, and since everyone in the family is into waterparks, we'll probably shell out extra for the super passes so we can come down in the summertime as well.

Last year it was right after October when the passes started being offered that included the rest of 2019 and 2020.

I'd imagine as soon as Smoky Mountain Christmas starts the passes you buy will be good for 2019 and 2020

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

^ Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Changing topics quickly because that doesn't really require further discussion, does anyone know when Dollywood's 2020 season passes will go on sale? We skipped picking them up last year, but are probably going to do so this season so we can visit this Christmas and next, and since everyone in the family is into waterparks, we'll probably shell out extra for the super passes so we can come down in the summertime as well.

Yeah, that's what we have done the last few years. Purchased one in Winter of 2017 to enjoy two sets of Christmas events. Gonna do the same this year. It is a no brainer for us. Get four days in the parks for these two events, can visit once in the summer or spring and get the bring a buddy days. Even being 8 hours away, it just makes sense.

Last year it was right after October when the passes started being offered that included the rest of 2019 and 2020.

Last year was weird. They had them early for a while related to new area. Then they stopped and didn't come back for a few weeks.

But for sure Nov when they reopen for Christmas.

As far as people know, has LR generally been running, historically, in early Oct? Im planning my trip finally.

Though I just saw a POV of Dragonflier (won't lie didn't really bother before) and for what it is...looks kind of good actually.

Anyway I'm stoked to finally get to this park.

^ We're in uncharted territory since it has basically been running for a full season.

IKR

Its why Im kind of tempted to pull the trigger and go soon BUT I have a major trip to save for/recover AND summer crowds.... Im gunna wait till early Oct and pray the coaster gods keep shining

Though I just saw a POV of Dragonflier (won't lie didn't really bother before) and for what it is...looks kind of good actually.

It's a lot of fun. Much more than expected for a family coaster. A few inversions and it'd be outstanding.

My only dislike about it is capacity is horrible. I was there a few days ago and the park was dead, everything was a walk on except for it. It had about a 30 minute wait. I know it's new, but when you see the 30 minute line, you will know what I'm talking about. A thirty minute line would be like 10 - 15 mins max on a regular coaster at Dollywood and pretty much any park. A 30 min line isn't a very long line of people on dragonflyer

The day I was there only had a small portion of parking lot c full. A is handicap, B is a very small lot, and C is next so that shows you there weren't many guest

The ride itself is great and it really comes off the drop at a great speed and feels like a zippy little coaster. I enjoyed it my few rides this year, but haven't ridden it much due to the wait

Edited by dstephe9

My only dislike about it is capacity is horrible. I was there a few days ago and the park was dead, everything was a walk on except for it. It had about a 30 minute wait. I know it's new, but when you see the 30 minute line, you will know what I'm talking about.

Same as any new coaster there. Even after a few years Firechaser regularly has 3x the wait of anything else. And remember WE lines out to the statue? LR lines to Rampage entrance?

But I stood in the DF queue for over an hour the one time I rode it so yes it's not a lot of people. And agree capacity is low. I figure it'll be better next year and take pressure of FCE. Win win.

Edited by TEDodd

As they grow they really need to think about capacity though. If they want to “compete with Disney” take note, they would never open a “headliner” that runs only one train. They are going to have to spend a little more to customize some things to accommodate larger crowds. Even an unload break run before the load station might have worked to run two trains and keep the line moving better.

They are going to have to spend a little more to customize some things to accommodate larger crowds. Even an unload break run before the load station might have worked to run two trains and keep the line moving better.

That particular Vekoma layout and its smaller sister (Kvasten, Freedom Flyer, et al) have only ever been designed to accommodate one train, as the only brake sections are in the station. A brake run before the station would really shorten the ride, those layouts don't last very long.

I wouldn't consider Dragonflier a headliner though, on Disney's scale that's a D-ticket at best.

Perhaps they're accepting that wait times for Dragonflier will be a bit unreasonable for a few seasons but, long-term, will eventually die down when another major family attraction opens.

It's a good ride. I rarely ride it cause of the line but I think it's a good "now and again" coaster.

I still can't believe they put in a 1 train family coaster, though. The longest coaster line most days is the other family coaster. If you are going for a whole new family / kid section why do you put in a single train coaster as the premier ride in that attraction? Seems odd.

I do think Hershend will eventually dip (see what I did there) into the hyper/giga coaster wars at their parks within the next 5 or 10 years, considering they are wanting to push the envelope and build hype by marketing their coasters as game changers along with being the tallest/steepest/fastest etc. They also see coasters like Intimidator and Fury 325 (just a few hours down the road from DW) being what they are and seeing how well they are loved by the general public and enthusiasts. Their high capacity is also fantastic. That plot of land next to the new area will be a perfect candidate. Hopefully its a B&M. (personal preference)

Edited by sdcfan88

The most recent coaster survey for Dollywood (this year) included an out and back hyper. Not giga but they might go the giga route

All the themes for the other rides and coasters made it sound like they were looking for interest in rides for the area next to Wildwood Grove

It's a good ride. I rarely ride it cause of the line but I think it's a good "now and again" coaster.

I still can't believe they put in a 1 train family coaster, though. The longest coaster line most days is the other family coaster. If you are going for a whole new family / kid section why do you put in a single train coaster as the premier ride in that attraction? Seems odd.

That’s what meant by “headliner” not for the park specifically, but for the heavily marketed new area.

They are going to have to spend a little more to customize some things to accommodate larger crowds. Even an unload break run before the load station might have worked to run two trains and keep the line moving better.

That particular Vekoma layout and its smaller sister (Kvasten, Freedom Flyer, et al) have only ever been designed to accommodate one train, as the only brake sections are in the station. A brake run before the station would really shorten the ride, those layouts don't last very long.

I wouldn't consider Dragonflier a headliner though, on Disney's scale that's a D-ticket at best.

Perhaps they're accepting that wait times for Dragonflier will be a bit unreasonable for a few seasons but, long-term, will eventually die down when another major family attraction opens.

You made a few of my points. I know that’s an off the shelf design. That’s why I question them even using it. The point being they’re going to need to spend a bit more to meet their growing demand. And yes, it’s a “d” on a Disney scale, but DW is marketing it heavily and treating it (as part of the entire expansion) as their headliner this year.

They may be “accepting” unreasonable wait times, but is that really the best guest experience?

That was kind of my entire thing when this ride was announced. The new Wildwood Grove area was supposed to help with park capacity and then they decide to build and off the shelf design coaster with very low capacity, although it is a very fun ride.

But here's what I keep remembering

1.) Dollywood doesn't have the funds of Disney and they wanted something inexpensive, and quick to build

2.) The expansion isn't complete, and when it is complete I do see a much larger ride, rather it be a coaster, new dark ride, or something else being the main headliner of the area to pull some of that crowd

To me though, that doesn't excuse a family coaster with low capacity. Family coasters, in most parks like Dollywood, draw some of the highest crowds. So while the ride is new, I don't see the lines going down even after the newness wears off.

And yes, Dollywood does treat it as the headliner. All the billboards around here either have it or the tree on it, but there's nothing wrong with it being treated as a headliner. It's a fun ride, it just kind of defeats the purpose of being used in an area to help with overall capacity of the park.

Also there have been several interviews of people worried about the capacity of it and they always sneak around that question so Dollywood was aware of it, possibly just all the could afford money wise or development wise (time and energy) to get a coaster in the new area quickly

They may be “accepting” unreasonable wait times, but is that really the best guest experience

Overly-long wait times aren't the best guest experience, you'll get no argument from me there!

2.) The expansion isn't complete, and when it is complete I do see a much larger ride, rather it be a coaster, new dark ride, or something else being the main headliner of the area to pull some of that crowd

I also think that that's their plan but I'm leaning more toward a new dark ride than another roller coaster.

I do speculate that the "new hotness" of Dragonflier -may- fade during the next operating season. Obviously you can't predict everything that transpires after a new ride opens (Lightning Rod, I'm looking at you), but I'd be surprised if Dollywood built Dragonflier without a long-term strategy in mind for Wildwood Grove or whatever new area they end up building up past it.

I would actually venture that ALL the rides in wildwood are bad with capacity. Cycle loaders are always going to be slow and that’s what they mostly filled the entire area with (and a slow loading bear ride) If funds were an issue, I think it would’ve been better to open with 1 capacity killer and maybe 1-2 other fillers instead of trying to fill it with as many off the shelf cycle load rides as they could for the money.

They may be “accepting” unreasonable wait times, but is that really the best guest experience

Overly-long wait times aren't the best guest experience, you'll get no argument from me there!

I also think that that's their plan but I'm leaning more toward a new dark ride than another roller coaster.

I do speculate that the "new hotness" of Dragonflier -may- fade during the next operating season. Obviously you can't predict everything that transpires after a new ride opens (Lightning Rod, I'm looking at you), but I'd be surprised if Dollywood built Dragonflier without a long-term strategy in mind for Wildwood Grove or whatever new area they end up building up past it.

Could be a mixture of rides over the next few years. That would explain why they wanted to go ahead and balance it out with all the flats.The last survey mentioned a few different things.

1.) Large Coaster - I see this but see it due to all the coasters Carowinds has recently built especially Fury. Carowinds and Six Flag over Georgia are probably Dollywoods biggest concern when it comes to local parks. I promise they are watching them

2.) Another themed area with flats. I don't see this happening unless they have a plan to remodel the fair area again. That's very possible, it's needed

3.) Dark Ride - I can see this, Dollywood needs a good dark ride even if it's a smaller dark ride. I would personally like a large dark ride, maybe a revamped flooded mine about the size of pirates of the Caribbean but I don't see anything that large happening. I see Dollywood doing something about the size of Justice League

4.) A walk through area - I'm not a fan of these but seeing forbidden frontier at CP, I really enjoyed it and think Dollywood can do something like that easily. I actually think Dollywood would do a great job on that and it would fit the Wildwood Grove theme perfectly. IMO, in order to to these areas right, they take up a lot of space and not sure Dollywood would want to use so much space on one

As for Wildwood Grove think about it. 2018 Carowinds revamped their kids/family area and six flags built their new kids area 2016 or 17? Dollywood is playing catch-up there. Camp Snoopy and DC super friends, or whatever, aren't little kid areas but more family areas. Heck, they even share some of the same rides.

Like FCE I'll probably not ride it again. My youngest (now 15) hasn't wanted to ride FCE since its 2nd season.

And with DF out of the way, we'll probably just leave it to the younger set (and their families) it was built for.

Same, except I do ride FCE often when lines low. I enjoy it

I'm curious if Dollywood might put a large raft ride somewhere like Silver Dollar City. They really need more water rides.

Also, nothing anyone is really talking about in this thread (there is a different thread opened for it) is the new waterpark coming to town. On paper, it looks to be on Splash Country level, if not higher quality. (I know that's just on paper). With it being closer to Knoxville, it's liable to get all my waterpark traffic (as well as other folks in Knoxville) and my wife and I visit splash a lot. I think Dollywood will need to do something at Splash to keep me coming there