Coasters you have been on that are gone now

Post your Defunct RideList [Merged]
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Coasters you have been on that are gone now

Postby Kstr737 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Without rehashing the same general, a couple thoughts on this:

The Ones Since Removed:
The Great Adventure of my Youth: Since I started riding there in ‘89, Lightnin’ Loops, Scream Machine, The Chiller, Viper and Rolling Thunder have left. (Ultra Twister was already SBNO but I finally got on the model at Nagashima last summer) I realize they’ve added substantial rides but the fact it has changed so much since my childhood has not made me not go back since 2011. I still have never ridden Ka. I was going to finally plan to go back this year for the single rail.

Interestingly in the same frame since I started going to Hershey (since ’96) they’ve developed at pace as Great Adventure. Wildcat, Great Bear, Lightnin’ Racer, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Skyrush and now Candymonium without losing a major coaster.

The same market, Dorney has been more in-line proportionally with their smaller scale redevelopment. Pulling out as they go: Lazer, Hercules and the inverted ‘rang I’m not sorry I missed.

Everything CP lost since the mid-aughts, but no great losses for the trades.
Even though it’s on the opposite coast Magic Mountain has pulled out four rides since my rare visit there (Lantern, Colossus, Déjà vu & Psyclone). Flashback never ran.

The Ones I am really happy I had the opportunity to ride:
Son of Beast, PKI’s Vortex and the wood of Geauga Lake. The Wild Mouse at Blackpool. The Dania Beach Hurricane. The Starliner while it was at Cypress. Dueling Dragons.

The Ones I kick myself for missing, dragging my feet on where I definitely had a realistic option to get there:
The Big Bad Wolf & Volcano (missing them each by a year).

I wasn’t in a position (or a mindset) to consider flying across the country on a month’s notice to visit AstroWorld at the announcement of its demise. If the same situation happened (Pre-COVID) today, I would have.

The One’s I want to get to that I fear are somewhat endangered:
Dragon Mountain (and the Arrow at Darien Lake). The quirky coasters of Frontier City. For one more ride on Lightnin’ Loops (although I guess it’s not imminently going anywhere since they just built it a roof)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby jlp94 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 am

In order of when I first rode

-Ragin' Cajun at Six Flags Great America: It was fun those few rides I got when I was like 9-10, though Reverchons generally aren't good rides so I'm not really jonesing to get back to it.
-Dragon Challenge (both sides) at Islands of Adventure: God, reminding me of this ride is one hell of a way to bring down my mood. A front row ride I got on Chinese Fireball back in 2015 is still one of my fondest "early" coaster memories :cry:
-Georgia Cyclone at Six Flags Over Georgia: Only one ride on it, but what a horrible experience that was. Still one of the most painful and shitty, yet slow wooden coasters I've ridden to date.
-Mean Streak at Cedar Point: Don't know if I miss it per se, but it wasn't as bad as the entire enthusiast community made it out to be over the years. Rough, yes for sure, but nothing brutal, and I've ridden worse woodies.
-Firehawk at Kings Island: Not necessarily sad about it but another ride would've been fun. I enjoyed it more than Superman at my home park.
-Vortex at Kings Island: Lol good riddance.
-Green Lantern at Six Flags Magic Mountain: Fuck this ride. Hopefully it goes back to its prime form in Montreal.
-Dragon Wagon at Indiana Beach: It was a kiddie coaster.
-Dragon at Adventureland: I will miss this one. I enjoyed it more than most, but found it to be very intense and not all that rough aside from a consistent, but not bad shaking.
Slowly getting back into being an enthusiast.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby daveydo5172 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Pontchartrain Beach -
Zephyr - damn I miss it
Zephyr, jr
Ragin Cajun - technically not defunct since it moved to the Great Escape

Astroworld - all sorely missed
Greezed Lightnin' - the BEST of Schwarzkopf shuttle
Texas Cyclone - the BEST Cyclone clone
Viper
X-LR8- The BEST Arrow Suspended
Excalibur
Unltra-Twister

Nascar Las Vegas -
Speed the Ride

Jazzland -
MegaZeph

SFGA -
Tidal Wave

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Haymaker » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Kstr737 wrote:Dragon Mountain (and the Arrow at Darien Lake).

Viper isnt going anywhere as long as the park is around. Its still popular, is relatively smooth for an Arrow, and was the parks iconic coaster until ROS came around (and arguably still may be). Its sentimental to the area as many peoples first adult coaster. It also had the record for inversions for a while after it was built. I guess never say never applies but I think it would be extremely bad PR for them to remove it unless it was being immediately replaced.

Back to the topic:
Big Bad Wolf
Drachenfire
Dueling Dragons
Nightmare at Phantom Cave
Primeval Whirl
Vortex
Disaster Transport
Might be one or more from CW but I dont know what theyve taken out since 1999.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!