SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: NEWS: SeaWorld San Diego announces new Sea Turtle attrac

Postby SharkTums » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Wonder if this is a new one? Did we ever find out what happened to the one at Six Flags New Orleans?!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm

One of these days I need to get back down there to see the changes. I haven't been in over 15 years. I can't seem to get the family past Disneyland.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Nice to see San Diego adding more turtle stuff! I've always thought that turtles were a bit under-represented at SeaWorld. Hopefully, the other parks will follow suit.
Erik Allen Elness

Site Admin

SeaWorld San Diego coaster announced for 2012

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 am

SEAWORLD SAN DIEGO ANNOUNCES NEW ‘MANTA’ COASTER

Blending the exhilarating thrill of G forces with the graceful beauty of marine life, Manta is scheduled to open in 2012

SAN DIEGO (Feb. 9, 2011) -- SeaWorld San Diego is excited to announce that in 2012, the park will unveil its new launch coaster, Manta — a new mega-attraction that will seamlessly transition guests from the awe of watching rays in underwater flight … into the sensation of actually being one. SeaWorld is scheduled to break ground for Manta within a month and the ride is slated to open to the public in 2012.
Swooping over sea and sky, Manta will not only inspire riders with amazing underwater animal habitats, but take them on an exhilarating ride on a coaster shaped like a giant manta ray.

“We are delighted to bring energizing new attractions to our guests year after year,” said SeaWorld park president, John Reilly, “and Manta does just that, combining the thrill and excitement of a coaster, with the educational and entertaining value of an incredible marine-life exhibit.”
Gliding, flying and diving through more than a dozen twists and turns, riders will feel as if they are a ray, taking flight from sky to sea — so close at times that the Manta’s wings skim the waves.

Manta also will feature a unique “launch station” where the passengers will start the ride enclosed in a launch tunnel with larger-than-life images of rays projected on a 270-degree enveloping screen. This stunning introduction to the world of the rays also will visually enhance the physical acceleration as the ride launches down the track. This state-of-the-art projection system will be the first of its kind in the United States.

Riders and non-riders alike will enjoy the graceful beauty of bat rays and fishes. Forbidden Reef, an existing SeaWorld attraction where guests can feed and touch bat rays, will be incorporated and enhanced as part of Manta.

“With Manta, our guests will be able to see and interact with 65 bat rays, 10 guitar fish, and hundreds of fishes,” said SeaWorld San Diego curator of fishes, Thad Dirksen. “The below-water viewing area will include eight acrylic windows and a reef design. The above-water interaction area will allow our guests more opportunities to touch and feed the rays.”

Manta will be located just north of Rocky Point Preserve. SeaWorld is working with German ride design company MACK, which also engineered the marine-life park’s popular ride, Journey To Atlantis. Guests at SeaWorld’s sister park in Orlando have been enjoying a similar version of Manta since it opened in 2009.

Manta Fact Sheet

TYPE OF RIDE:
Linear Synchronous Motor (LSM) Launch Coaster

MAXIMUM LAUNCH ACCELERATION: .
7 to .8 G

MAXIMUM SPEED:
43 mph

MAXIMUM VERTICAL G FORCE:
3 to 4 G

MAXIMUM HEIGHT:
30 feet

MAXIMUM DROP:
54 feet

TRACK LENGTH:
2,835 feet

RIDE DURATION:
One minute, 56 seconds

SEATS/TRAIN:
20 seats per train/four trains

GUEST CAPACITY:
1,400 passengers per hour

SeaWorld San Diego

MANUFACTURER:
German ride engineer, MACK

RIDER HEIGHT RESTRICTION:
48 inches

OTHER ELEMENTS:
Exhibit water volume:
100,000 gallons
Marine life exhibit:
65 California bat rays, 10 guitar fish and more than 400 fishes

Manta logo.jpg
coaster.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 pm.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Proposed Sea World Ride Gets OK from Coastal Board Staff

Postby StarTrekGeek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:13 am

Well that's great news. This park is in dire need of a new coaster! =)

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Re: Proposed Sea World Ride Gets OK from Coastal Board Staff

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 am

Rita, Mummy, Desert Storm, are all great rides and under 30 ft. tall. (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's been long rumored that MACK sold a launched coaster to a park in California.

I'm leaning towards MACK here, mainly because JTA is also a MACK creation and turned out pretty well.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: NEWS: SeaWorld San Diego to add Manta coaster for 2012

Postby A.J. » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:04 am

30 feet.

I think they're being serious.

It's really weird that they named and themed it to Manta, because I don't think they'd be able to use the "ride the flying ray" slogan on a roller coaster that, well, doesn't fly.
Last edited by A.J. on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 am.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

This button makes my penis erect.

Re: Sea World San Diego coaster announced for 2012

Postby DJeXeL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 am

Any rides corporate puts into SWSD are good rides. Yea it's not exactly going to be the most thrilling ride but families will enjoy it which is the important thing. I'm all for it. Whenever I visit SWSD I never find myself being bored.
Not to mention this ride will keep the park's cranky neighbors happy as their skyline will not be affected.
I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of b*thcing going on in this thread.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

To me this sounds almost EXACTLY like Jet Rescue at the Aussie Sea World...2 launches, low to the ground, etc. Should still be really fun!

Now it's time for SWSA to get a new coaster...

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 am

4Gs on a "family coaster"?
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!