SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby Someotherguyuser » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am

Jew wrote:^^The councilwoman that always gave Sea World problems is no longer around. I think they could make it work.

Interesting. Now that she's gone, could SeaWorld San Diego be allowed to build another legitimate coaster (Like Orlando's Kraken or Steel Eel), or are there still some regulations applied?
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Trues » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Breaking news!

New baby killer whale at SWSD. Just born this morning.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/baby-killer-whale-orca-seaworld-191242771.html
Next time, wear blindfolds...okay?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Man that's a cute baby.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 am

Someotherguyuser wrote:
Jew wrote:^^The councilwoman that always gave Sea World problems is no longer around. I think they could make it work.

Interesting. Now that she's gone, could SeaWorld San Diego be allowed to build another legitimate coaster (Like Orlando's Kraken or Steel Eel), or are there still some regulations applied?

Things still require the approval of both the coastal commission and the city of San Diego, but I would say that there is much more support for larger projects than before.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Jew wrote:
Someotherguyuser wrote:

Things still require the approval of both the coastal commission and the city of San Diego, but I would say that there is much more support for larger projects than before.

When I was there for the Media Day for TPR, I asked a few people about the council woman, and the height restriction of 30ft and how it related to other things over that height. What I got was this:

-They did not like the council woman (no surprise) but her presence or non-presence did not factor into Manta's creation and design. They simply chose not to go up, and instead went down. They didn't want to wait for the permit process to build a new ride for that season.
-The 30ft regulation has been there for a very very long time.
-Anything over 30ft simply had gone through a permit process.
-The reason for the height limit is because it limits the things that can change the skyline in the area (I think this is a silly old restriction).
-Journey to Atlantis was approved for its height waver by the local voting population (I don't remember why the public had to vote for it. Maybe the council was tied in its decision? Or maybe all things must have voter approval, but only Journey was mentioned)

But without her there, I'm sure SW will be looking at some bigger projects now that they actually have some chance of getting through.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:58 pm

I personally hope that somewhere deep in SWP&E they've still got the concept for the original design nicknamed "Reef Runner" sitting around, just waiting to be re-invented down the line for some new project in the chain. :p
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

It kinda seems that's what Manta is though. Based of the original ideas/rumors of Reef Runner, they are very similar in lots of ways.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:12 am

^Hench why I said for the chain. :p
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:15 pm

^I think the difference between Manta and Project Reef Runner was that the latter would've had a lot more dark ride to it. I too hope that the concept comes back to see the light of day. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see a Manta popping up at SWSA within a year or two. Whether or not it'll be a flyer, launched coaster or something else I think it's too early to tell IF it ever happens.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:25 pm

http://seaworldparks.com/celebration

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 10.17.37 PM.jpg

SeaWorld's 50th Celebration

Starting in 2014, we will be bring you SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration! – A celebration marked by a whole new “Sea of Surprises.” All three SeaWorld parks will be sharing the fun and delight throughout the 18-month celebration with uniquely SeaWorld moments. Starting March 21, 2014, we invite guests to join us as we celebrate with new interactive experiences, new shows and daily entertainment, more up-close animal encounters throughout the park, and a Surprise Squad treating guests with prizes every day.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-06-11/business/os-seaworld-50th-anniversary-campaign-20130611_1_seaworld-san-diego-seaworld-orlando-antarctica-themed

With its new Antarctica-themed land open, SeaWorld is turning its attention to 2014.

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. said Tuesday it will launch a 50th anniversary celebration early next year that will include new attractions and experiences for its three SeaWorld marine parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio.

The 18-month campaign, dubbed "Sea of Surprises," will launch March 21, 2014 — 50 years after the original SeaWorld opened its gates in California.

As part of the campaign, SeaWorld said it will dispatch more "animal ambassadors" throughout the parks to give visitors surprise encounters with penguins, lemurs, flamingos and more. New "Surprise Squads" will roam around to give away prizes such as free souvenirs or behind-the-scenes experiences. And "spontaneous entertainment" will pop up at unexpected moments along park pathways.

In addition, each of the three SeaWorld parks will get new animal shows, though the company didn't disclose additional details.

The company also said it has commissioned the environmental-art group "Washed Ashore" to carve larger sea-life sculptures from ocean debris. Those sculptures will be displayed in the parks.

Further attractions may also be part of the plans.The company said SeaWorld Orlando, which just completed the largest expansion in its history with Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin, will unveil additional plans for 2014 this coming fall.

One already announced project: Explorer's Reef, at SeaWorld San Diego. A renovation of the 50-year-old marine park's main entrance, that 3-acre area will include a series of marine-life touch pools, as well as new retail and dining concepts. It will also feature what SeaWorld called a new front-gate concept, with existing ticket booths replaced by a concierge-style ticketing area with a beach theme.

That 16-month construction project has been timed to open next March, to coincide with the launch of the 50th anniversary campaign.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:26 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!