SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby OISU8P » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 am

^ You called it ;)
SeaWorld Killer-Whale Injury Spurs PETA Complaint

A killer whale at SeaWorld in San Diego is recovering from a nasty gash to its jaw that is the subject of a dispute between the park and the animal rights group PETA.

SeaWorld says the 11-year-old killer whale named Nakai was injured during a show last month when he somehow came in contact with a portion of the pool. The gaping hole is so big that Nakai’s jawbone was left exposed.

PETA says an anonymous whistle-blower told them that Nakai was attacked by other captive, angry orcas at the park.

“You can’t keep three young males together in what is, for them a fishpond or a fishbowl,” PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk told ABC News. “They will have nowhere to go unless they can swim through concrete when they feel aggressive towards each other.”

The animal rights group has filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, saying it wants SeaWorld disciplined for not keeping the whales separated as required under the Animal Welfare Act. The law requires incompatible marine mammals to be kept in separate enclosures, PETA said

SeaWorld says veterinarians determined the injury was not a result of an animal bite and provided video to ABC News showing Nakai on the mend. Trainers and veterinarians say they are closely monitoring his recovery and treating him with antibiotics.

“He’s [Nakai] doing very well and interacting with all the other whales and trainers,” said Kristi Burtis, supervisor of animal training at SeaWorld.

Nakai is a killer whale with a violent family tree. Nakai’s father, Tilikum, was the orca that killed a trainer at SeaWorld in Orlando two years ago.

“It’s hard to tell if they’re just playing rough or if these are just aggressive interactions between individuals,” said Robert Pitman of the National Marine Fisheries Service in San Diego.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/10/seaworld-killer-whale-injury-spurs-peta-complaint/

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am

Now we will hear the calls for al the whales to be set free. Then they can go out in the open ocean and starve to death.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am

PETA is only interested in headlines and making themselves feel good about how much they "care."

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 pm

PETA should be awarding SeaWorld. By keeping the KILLER whales captive they are saving countless sea lions from becoming dinner each day. :lol:

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rolercstrluvr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Just means SFDK can get Shouka back, I know a few people who would love for that to happen.
Gold Striker Ride count: 435

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm not really siding with PETA here, but that doesn't just happen. If it was something in the pool, it needs to be addressed. I'm not a usual "save the animals" kinda guy, but those pictures are terrible. I feel legitimately bad for the whale.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:57 pm

^While obviously this is an issue that needs to be attended to, it should be noted that SeaWorld (as a company, as well as specifically at the San Diego park) has been working with killer whales in their shows for over 47 years and this appears to be the first time a major injury has occurred from behavior like this for the whales at the park.

Some things are just unpredictable, and animal aggression is certainly one of those things. SeaWorld shouldn't be blamed for this situation no more than they should be blamed for it raining occasionally. Some things in nature just happen, and there's nothing you can do to prevent or prepare for it.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I realize that my comment came off as a "this is an epidemic and is going to keep happening at all the park," but wasn't what I meant. I just thought their statement about it came off as "Eh, he just hit something in the pool the wrong way, no big deal." It's obviously is a fairly big deal and what ever caused it should be addressed to avoid it in the future, which is what they could have said.

No need to school me on the history of Sea World and their expertise in caring for animals. Having spent the better part of a decade working at an animal park, I'm aware accidents happen. I just didn't care for their response to it.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby empires » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

On a different note: Does anyone remember the haunt SWSD used to put on??? I never went but I remember thinking it might be good, what the hell happened to it???

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 pm

^They gear their haunt stuff more to kids now. I was there the last weekend in September and it was the first weekend of their "Spooktacular" stuff. It really looked amazing for kids from about 3 to 10 and they were giving away free candy! You didn't even need to buy an extra ticket or anything, FREE CANDY!

And as far as the killer whale goes that has a giant gash, it wasn't performing in the show but it was definitely active in its area behind the main pool while the show was going on. I feel bad for the guy cuz he just wants to perform. Plus, a trainer was back there with him the entire time the show was going on.

On another side note, I finally rode Manta and I was really impressed with it. I think it is a great addition to the park and the projection screen in the beginning was pretty amazing. Not to mention some awesome pops of airtime throughout the ride. Sea World has definitely improved over the years.

Jimmy "I love free candy" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!