SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby DBru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Though the rare incidents that have occurred are horrific and sad, we should keep in mind that the SeaWorld trainers know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they take their positions. They don't do what they do for the money--they do it because they love it, and I feel safe in saying that even those who fall victim would never want the shows to be cancelled, causing many to cease relationships with the animals they adore and millions to miss out on the experience of a lifetime.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 am

DBru wrote:Though the rare incidents that have occurred are horrific and sad, we should keep in mind that the SeaWorld trainers know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they take their positions. They don't do what they do for the money--they do it because they love it, and I feel safe in saying that even those who fall victim would never want the shows to be cancelled, causing many to cease relationships with the animals they adore and millions to miss out on the experience of a lifetime.

Exactly. This is what people need to take away from incidents like these. Yes, they are sad when they occur, but the trainers do know the risks when working with these animals.

Videos like these with very little context or dialogue to alert viewers of what is happening in the situation only leave it up the the public's ridiculous way of twisting things 100000000x out of proportion.

Heck, I don't think the people who are freaking out about this realize that the trainers haven't actually been in the water with the whales since the trainer's death.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 am

SoCalCoasters wrote:Heck, I don't think the people who are freaking out about this realize that the trainers haven't actually been in the water with the whales since the trainer's death.

Yeah, the worst part about this video getting released now, not six years ago, is that most of the people watching it at home on the news are going to assume that another person got attacked, and wonder why Sea World hasn't changed their policies since Dawn was killed. Especially if the news is faulty in their "facts" and the way they report it.

Everyone saying that these trainers know the risks is completely right - even the trainer in this video knows it, considering that he went back to work with the whales even after his experience. These people want to provide entertainment to people while teaching them about these animals, they know what that means, and they're willing to risk their safety for it. Heck, I'd rather work with a killer whale than be the guy up on the suspended scaffold cleaning skyscraper windows!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:33 pm

On Wednesday it was announced on SWSD's Facebook Page that Cirque De La Mer is closing:

Cirque de la Mer!

Hey Fans, Cirque de la Mer will perform its final show on Aug. 12. It’s had a fantastic 12-year-run and was seen by millions of guests. While we all love Cirque, we will perform an all-new and exciting show in the Lagoon Stadium next summer. Don’t miss one of Cirque’s final shows!!

I personally am sad to see the show go, as it was the first Cirque Show I ever saw, and still one of my favorites.

Anyone going to see it one last time before it goes away? :(

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 am

Twister II wrote:

Love the SeaWorld parks, but should they really start considering ending these shows?

Interesting that this video comes out at the same time that Seaworld is letting trainers back into the water with the whales.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Looks like Shouka is fitting in great!

Source: SWSD FB
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I guess just the local news is covering this, but on the night of the 20th an orca named Nakai got injured at SeaWorld. I saw this last night and am having a devil of a time finding a well written article covering the accident.

Here is a basic article covering the incident, but said article seems to blame the injury on the other whales when the news report last night said the injuries were more consistent with environmental damage because the wound area has no visible signs of teeth marks.

Even though the photo's of Nakai's lower jaw injury were plastered all over the local stations I can only find one site online that has some decent pictures.
Click this link to see the photos. There is no blood, but I don't particularly want to post it in this thread.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:59 pm

^It was all over the news the past few nights. The injury looks pretty severe, although it seems they've already taken the whale out of the shows until it recovers.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Ouch!!! I hope the whale recovers, that looks really bad.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:54 am

Great, another opportunity for PETA to rally against the park. Hope he's OK and recovers quick!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!