SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This button makes my penis erect.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby DJeXeL » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

This is going to be the hidden gem of the year. I'm going to the park this weekend so I'm excited to see the progress up close.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I hope people are right about this being unexpectedly good. I still kinda think it could go either way, myself, but I've been staying optimistic, and the layout really is starting to look even more appealing as of late.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby kylexy2298 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:40 am

Can I just say that I am really excited for this coaster to open! I can't wait to ride it this summer, and can't wait to see updates of the themeing and landscaping!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:51 pm

It looks really really cool! I have to say it looks a lot "bigger" than I thought it would. Can't wait to hear rider reviews of it once it opens.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby omgitsmatt93 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:46 pm

SO SEXY!
Can't everest be an intamin?

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Heck, It's been awhile since I've done one of these so here it goes.

I'm house sitting for my Mother in San Diego and decided today to ride my bike to SeaWorld and check out the progress on Manta myself because I always have a hard time figuring out the layout of a ride unless I see it for myself. (But really it was because I had an annual pass and a new camera to try out.)
IMG_0016.jpg
A panorama of the park's skyline from the bike path to SeaWorld. It really shows how well hidden Manta is.

By the way if you want to save a few bucks on parking I highly recommend that you bring a bike and park in one of the many free all day parking lots on Mission Bay Drive off of I5 before the SeaWorld exit. You only have to bike about a mile and the entire area is beautiful.
IMG_0022.jpg
Here is a height guide for all the parents out there wondering if their kid's can ride Manta when it opens on May 26th
IMG_0023.jpg
Right at the front of the park they have one of the cars on display. I know it's been posted before, but I think it's worth reposting because it really is a cool open design.
IMG_0025.jpg
A bumper photo for all the coaster geeks out there.
IMG_0027.jpg
Don't you wish the park's promotional images were true to what the ride will actually be? I for one would love to ride a B&M through a tropical sea cliff setting.
IMG_0029.jpg
Before I took a picture of Manta I noticed that the cone of lights on the Sky tower had been removed. Is it just a seasonal thing or did they take them down for the construction?
IMG_0040.jpg
There it is, the full glory of Manta's layout. with only one gap left in the track. Also it looks as if they are starting to build the themeing.
IMG_0042.jpg
Just a quick blurry and heavily enhanced photo of the only woody in San Diego as seen from the observation tower. I really need to get out to Belmont park and ride it again.
IMG_0045.jpg
After the Sky tower I was trying to get a photo of the construction of the themeing around Manta, but the fence was too tall even for my 6 ft. 2 frame.
IMG_0044.jpg
Is that a hole in the fence?
IMG_0043.jpg
Awesome, just big enough to take a peek.
IMG_0048.jpg
Just out of curiosity, how many rapids are there that use the "large screw" method of pumping water?
IMG_0050.jpg
As I was walking around Manta I noticed that their new self-stacking turtle exhibit was going well.
IMG_0054.jpg
Another gap in the fence to exploit.
IMG_0055.jpg
This is Manta's final element before returning to the station.
IMG_0065.jpg
And finally a view from the Sky Tram once again showing how well hidden Manta is from outside the park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BabaSD » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Now that darklingscribe has posted some pics from today I figure I should post some also. lol - it was such a nice day at the park and the ride is looking good! two updates in one day! OMGZ.

chargersmichael wrote:^Was it me or did was there little white spots on the track? Was it just the reflection of the sun or just me? or something that construction has to do with???

BIRD POOP! really it is, there is bird poop ALL OVER the track and the supports. See one of the pictures I posted below that mentions it...

It has been two weeks since my last visit and I wanted to check up on the coaster progress. Looks like the track is almost done and I can see the difference from my last trip. Here is some updates...

You can click on any picture for full size.

In this picture you can see 3 different sets of construction walls... yay for off season!
SeaWorld San Diego Manta Construction by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Now that the track is almost done, and the skytower is up and running you can get an even better idea of the scope of the ride.

More track from the sky!

ALMOST done.. still has some sudden ends lol. Looks like there is a conflict of space here...

cuuuuuurve

more cuuuurve

cuuuurve.. with bird poop! really bird poop is ALL OVER the track and supports. Makes you think of that bridge that collapsed because of too much bird poop....

Not curving off the curve theme...

I posted a picture in the last batch with a fence in it and wondered if it was THE fence, looks like this is the fence that will keep us all safe from the ride.

I thought SWSD was a Coke park now? Did the Shamu trainers not get the memo? Do they still stick the employees with the lower quality Pepsi products? Hmmm....
SeaWorld SD - PEPSI?? WHA?? by PadresFan619, on Flickr

And even SWSD has its low-end shopping area. You did not want it at full price, maybe you will but it for 9.99?
SeaWorld SD Cheap Stuff by PadresFan619, on Flickr

And here is a link to my video where you can see the coaster in a moving ride, if you like that sort of thing. Sorry about the glare - it was bright and hot day today! They have updated the recording to talk about the ride to explain it if you are not talking over it or have no idea what you are seeing lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYUXf_s2sIw&hd=1

:)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:40 pm

^ and ^^ thanks for the recent photos. Amusement Today is reporting the last piece of track was installed this morning.

http://www.amusementtoday.com/
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm

You can see pictures on their facebook page

Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby chargersmichael » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Can't wait to see this start testing!
Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!