SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 133: Aquatica San Diego to become Sesame Place San Diego!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:18 am

Growing up going to Sesame Place in PA which at that time was also very much a water park this kind of brings back some nostalgia. Honestly, parks should use their IP's, especially one as strong and great as Sesame Street.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 am

Sesame Place in Pennsylvania is park that seems to print money that people will travel for hours to get to because of their strong IP and the park itself is probably no bigger than your average strip mall. It seems like a goldmine and I don't know why they haven't put these everywhere.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sfkk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:06 am

I mean it really is genius. Every kid wants to go see elmo and big bird. And the fact that they can charge the same price as full scale theme parks when this entire park conversion is probably going to cost about the same as Mako at SWSD is kind of genius.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:17 am

Does anyone know why the Texas and Tokyo Sesame Places closed? I never knew they had already tried building two additional Sesame Place parks in the past.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:29 am

https://www.sesameworkshop.org/press-room/press-releases/seaworld-entertainment-and-sesame-workshop-announce-expanded-partnership

Sea World had to have a new Sesame Place theme park by mid-2021 so they picked the classically underperforming and landlocked water park in San Diego that probably should have been shuttered years ago. Makes sense on a lot of levels. I think they'll have some serious challenges though because that puts them in direct competition with Legoland for the same patrons in the same area. Still their best overall option vs. a ground up mini theme park in Williamsburg in part of the current parking lot (which plans for leaked on a year or so ago) given how other attempts at that like Ferrari Land went.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sfkk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:30 am

From what I hear Dallas was more of an indoor park and faced some competition. Indoor parks/entertainment centers don't have a great track record in this industry. (Six Flags Power Plant, Six Flags Autoworld, Disneyquest etc.)

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:49 am

DirkFunk wrote:I think they'll have some serious challenges though because that puts them in direct competition with Legoland for the same patrons in the same area.

I was considering that too, but keep in mind that San Diego County has 3+ million residents and Legoland and Sesame Place are ~1 hour apart (without traffic). Hopefully both can successfully co-exist because I doubt at this scale Sesame Place can fully compete with the family-resort offerings that Legoland currently has (2 hotels, small waterpark, aquarium, and full theme park).
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:51 am

It's on a much smaller scale, but Story Land and Santa's Village are two kids parks in New Hampshire that are an hour apart. I know a lot of non-coaster people that do both parks in one weekend.

I could see something similar here.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Animal » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 am

I’m really surprised by this announcement. A couple of summers ago we had season passes to Aquatica and enjoyed it. I was always hoping for more additions but they never came (besides taumata racers). As far as being landlocked they do have a couple of decent size parcels that are undeveloped. I attached a photo for reference. It will be interesting to see where this park goes as it grows and hopefully expands. Here’s hoping for oscars wacky taxi!
E1721C82-3368-4F65-B753-725A9BCC6C62.jpeg

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!