Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 pm

If this is true and, I don't doubt it, it just further highlights that SEAS has the worst public relations people on the planet. I don't know whether the parks have individual PR responsibilities or if it falls under corporate. Either way it has been a complete mess over the past few years due to cutbacks. Generating positive news for your entity through public relations is not brain surgery.

I'm not saying big promotional campaigns and teasers are needed. but major media outlets covering you demographic area should be notified and your socials needed to be used to announce and promote big news.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:50 am

larrygator wrote:If this is true and, I don't doubt it, it just further highlights that SEAS has the worst public relations people on the planet. I don't know whether the parks have individual PR responsibilities or if it falls under corporate. Either way it has been a complete mess over the past few years due to cutbacks. Generating positive news for your entity through public relations is not brain surgery.

I'm not saying big promotional campaigns and teasers are needed. but major media outlets covering you demographic area should be notified and your socials needed to be used to announce and promote big news.


I've been targeted by a lot of their Facebook ads and those seem to be pretty well made ads. The discussions in the comments tend to be pretty good too. What you're talking about might be old media. It seems like they're doing a pretty good job with new media.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 am

I feel like SeaWorld has finally (a few years too late) done a good job when it comes to marketing their animal experiences and rescue work but when it comes to marketing new rides they're woefully bad.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:39 am

coasterbill wrote:I feel like SeaWorld has finally (a few years too late) done a good job when it comes to marketing their animal experiences and rescue work but when it comes to marketing new rides they're woefully bad.


Can only speak to SWO, but it seems like they've upped their game for making it appealing for adults to go to drink and eat specialty stuff. So they're basically following an EPCOT model. I'll never object to parks pushing alcohol and appealing to young professionals. No beer jail, you can pretty much take your craft beer in line with you, and put it in the cubbie while you ride your rides.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:58 pm

SeaWorld San Diego has officially announced that Mako, a new floorless dive coaster will open at park in 2020!

90.jpeg

https://www.10news.com/lifestyle/exploring-san-diego/seaworld-san-diego-says-new-dive-coaster-mako-coming-in-2020?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

SeaWorld San Diego is adding another roller coaster to its thrill ride lineup.

SeaWorld officials announced Monday that the Mako dive coaster will open at the San Diego park in 2020. Officials are calling the Mako the “tallest, fastest and longest dive coaster in California, as well as the only floorless dive coaster in the state.”

The ride, which will be built by Switzerland-based Bollinger & Mabillard, will climb over 150 feet into the air while riders’ feet dangle and suspend on a 45-degree angle at the crown of the ride before plummeting down a 143-foot facedown vertical drop at speeds above 60 mph.

The Mako ride will cover nearly 2,500 feet of track, with each floorless car able to hold 18 riders in three six-person rows.

Park officials said the ride will be located next to the Journey to Atlantis ride, in an area of the park that is currently a parking lot.

According to officials, the Mako “will focus on shark awareness and conservation, and will include a partnership with a shark conservation organization.”

The announcement comes months after the park opened the Electric Eel ride and revealed plans to open the Tidal Twister ride this summer.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 pm

Glad to see the Mako leak was for real. I thought SeaWorld San Diego was just lacking another coaster or two when I visited in 2014. Electric Eel and Mako fill that void very nicely.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Nice! Finally something on that side of the park. JtA always felt so alone in that corner.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 pm

coasterbill wrote:I feel like SeaWorld has finally (a few years too late) done a good job when it comes to marketing their animal experiences and rescue work but when it comes to marketing new rides they're woefully bad.


You're correct. Today was a perfect example. I sign up to get e-mail "news" from practically every park I visit. Today in my e-mail I get a message from SWSD about naming a newborn dolphin calf, but it takes them two days to contact news outlets about a major ride addition.


Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I've been targeted by a lot of their Facebook ads and those seem to be pretty well made ads. The discussions in the comments tend to be pretty good too. What you're talking about might be old media. It seems like they're doing a pretty good job with new media.


If you are getting the targeted ads on Facebook that is the role of their advertising Agency. Public Relations entails SeaWorld (or their PR Agency) contacting all media outlets with a press release, essentially a pre-written story about a newsworthy event that both old media (newspapers. TV) and new media (digital sites/influencers/bloggers) can report.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm

This is great news! I'm happy to see another B&M come to the west coast. When was the last one... Tatsu? 13 years ago?

I will be very interested to see if this has the vest restraints or not. B&M has produced 6-across trains both with and without them.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Well, that's a pleasant surprise! It's not one of the coaster types I'm most excited about, but it's a solid addition that will make the park more complete for thrill-seekers like us, and a better incentive for me to get back there than just Electric Eel.

(I did enjoy Valravn, for what it's worth, which helps ease my mind about the lower desirability of the vest restraints this will likely have, even though I'm not a fan of them.)
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS