TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

omg - OhMyDisney just posted information for a one night "GLamping" experience contest.

....i.e.camping under the illuminating, floating rocks!

And the photo they've sent along is amaaaaaaaa-zingly beeeeeyutiful! Really gorgeous IMhO.

I wonder if the colours change and go through a "lighting package" of some kind?

Here's the link to more information about the contest... http://parks.disney.com/d-camp-contest

pandora-glamping.thumb.jpeg.52ac0242b86987b68ec3e0927cefcad0.jpeg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, work is taking me to a conference in Orlando next month and I wanted to take advantage of the "after hours" (NOT extra magic hours) event at Animal Kingdom as my one Disney splurge that I can take part of in the evening after the conference. I am NOT able to do any of the Disney parks during the day. This is also going to be a SOLO trip.

I used to live in Orlando with annual passes, but I haven't been back in a few years and I have NOT seen the Avatar Land and know nothing about the rides or attractions there. (No spoilers )

Does anyone have any tips or advice for this event?

Is it worth watching the night time show (I've never seen it) or would that time be better occupied doing rides over and over?

How early does the Safari typically close? They allow the after hours guests into the park before the event officially starts, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to squeeze a ride on it for my first stop of the evening.

I've read a few reviews and some say that right when the event "starts" you are funneled into the fastpass lines because there can still be lines at the Avatar attraction(s?) so you still get to jump the regular queue but there will be a longer wait than just waiting a little later in the night when the regular guests clear out. Otherwise lines should hopefully be non existent... at least they used to be back when these reviews were published.

I also know to load up on free popcorn, ice cream, and soda.

Does anyone know how transportation works at Animal Kingdom after the event is over? Do busses still go to Disney Springs?

I'm likely NOT going to have a car and I'm not sure where my hotel will be just yet, but I'm assuming at the very least Disney Springs will have taxis, busses, shuttles, Uber, Lyft (which by the way I have NEVER used, so I can probably get promotional credit too provided they are out there late at night) etc late at night provided I can get there from Animal Kingdom. Anyone happen to know what transportation exists, if any, at Animal Kingdom for the event, or should I attempt calling Disney? I won't be staying at a Disney Hotel so either way I'm going to need some sort of transportation to my unknown hotel. Any advice there about the best way to get out of the Disney universe?

Any fun things to do myself at Disney Springs after the park?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: looks like Disney Springs is only open until midnight so I guess going there after the park wouldn't work after all.

Edited by anonymouscactus

It has been announced that Kevin from the Disney•Pixar film “Up!” will begin making appearances at Disney's Animal Kingdom soon!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/01/kevin-from-disneypixars-up-is-headed-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

kvn202938402938432fi-768x432.jpg.aa895f298302d70f5f2f053f0a8f6604.jpg

Caw! Caw! Roar!

Greetings, fellow Wilderness Explorers. I’m writing with news from a recent expedition to South America. We’ve been tracking the large and exotic bird known as “Kevin” – you might remember her from the Disney•Pixar film “Up!” – and she appears to be migrating north from Paradise Falls, headed in the direction of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Experts anticipate Kevin will arrive at the park sometime next month. Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug are also at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, greeting guests and discovering various species of birds from around the world in the show “UP! A Great Bird Adventure.” You can visit them daily on Discovery Island and catch their show at the Anandapur Theatre.

So be on the lookout for Kevin. We’ll update you here on Disney Parks Blog as soon as we spot her, and remember, adventure is out there!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a boy! Disney has sent us news that a new Masai giraffe calf has been born at Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Have you herd the news? There’s a new Masai giraffe calf at Disney’s Animal Kingdom on Kilimanjaro Safaris. Born earlier this afternoon on the savanna, the “little” one stands at approximately six feet tall. It is too early to tell the gender but the calf is already bonding well with mom, Mara, and is out on view to Guests.

2024374751_imagejpeg_012.thumb.jpg.7edb1ab8ef4ba21941d500dc35fa4bc4.jpg

BOY oh boy… what an exciting week! You already “herd” the news out of Disney’s Animal Kingdom about the arrival of a new Masai giraffe calf who was born on the Kilimanjaro Safari savanna on Monday. Guests who were on the attraction that morning got to experience the wonder of nature firsthand and see some of the special moments leading up to the calf’s delivery. What better way to inspire our Guests and Cast than the magic of nature and the miracle of birth!

We’ve been keeping a close eye on Mom and baby, who are both doing well. Since birth, the pair have been backstage bonding and will continue to stay backstage for the next month or two before going back out on the savanna.

Our animal care team has been conducting neonatal exams during which they get a better gauge on the calf’s weight, height and gender. We’re excited to share two photos – one of mom and baby boy within an hour after the birth and a close up of the calf in which you’ll see he has a special heart-shaped mark on his neck.

Our Cast and Kilamanjaro Safaris drivers will be helping us choose a name for the calf, and we’ll share that news as soon as we have it.

0116ZR_0003DR.thumb.jpg.0a996a630a2c249d87c81818fc6edf2c.jpg

So, work is taking me to a conference in Orlando next month and I wanted to take advantage of the "after hours" (NOT extra magic hours) event at Animal Kingdom as my one Disney splurge that I can take part of in the evening after the conference. I am NOT able to do any of the Disney parks during the day. This is also going to be a SOLO trip.

I used to live in Orlando with annual passes, but I haven't been back in a few years and I have NOT seen the Avatar Land and know nothing about the rides or attractions there. (No spoilers )

Does anyone have any tips or advice for this event?

Is it worth watching the night time show (I've never seen it) or would that time be better occupied doing rides over and over?

How early does the Safari typically close? They allow the after hours guests into the park before the event officially starts, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to squeeze a ride on it for my first stop of the evening.

I've read a few reviews and some say that right when the event "starts" you are funneled into the fastpass lines because there can still be lines at the Avatar attraction(s?) so you still get to jump the regular queue but there will be a longer wait than just waiting a little later in the night when the regular guests clear out. Otherwise lines should hopefully be non existent... at least they used to be back when these reviews were published.

I also know to load up on free popcorn, ice cream, and soda.

Does anyone know how transportation works at Animal Kingdom after the event is over? Do busses still go to Disney Springs?

I'm likely NOT going to have a car and I'm not sure where my hotel will be just yet, but I'm assuming at the very least Disney Springs will have taxis, busses, shuttles, Uber, Lyft (which by the way I have NEVER used, so I can probably get promotional credit too provided they are out there late at night) etc late at night provided I can get there from Animal Kingdom. Anyone happen to know what transportation exists, if any, at Animal Kingdom for the event, or should I attempt calling Disney? I won't be staying at a Disney Hotel so either way I'm going to need some sort of transportation to my unknown hotel. Any advice there about the best way to get out of the Disney universe?

Any fun things to do myself at Disney Springs after the park?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: looks like Disney Springs is only open until midnight so I guess going there after the park wouldn't work after all.

I'm sure that they have something figured out. It may pay for you to pick up the phone and talk to guest relations there. It would be a pretty big oversight on their part if they have this event and haven't thought of a way to get people back who don't drive or stay at an on-site hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m planning a trip to spend two days at two Disney parks and one day at universal studios & island of adventure. I am definitely going to magic kingdom, but I need advice for the second park. I want to go Hollywood studios for tower of terror and rock n’ rollercoaster. But animal kingdom seems like the better park. In addition, I will have a toddler with me. Any suggestions?

It’s worth the money to park hop but If you insist on doing one park a day then (while you’ll get a million different answers), I think Animal Kingdom is the best park at the resort and it’s not close.

PS: This is also coming from the perspective of someone who doesn’t visit the parks with small children but since you’re prioritizing Tower of Terror and a launched inverting coaster in the dark I figured it was kosher to send you to a park where the two best rides are not at all suitable for kids since you clearly don’t mind splitting off. They have a great safari though and some really fun shows that should be great for families.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been announced that a new version of Rivers of Light, known as "Rivers of Light: We Are One" will debut at Disney's Animal Kingdom during Memorial Day Weekend 2019!

rol20394820349823423fi-768x432.jpg.154c6c68bcffe170444036c159dcf284.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/04/rivers-of-light-we-are-one-debuts-this-summer-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Since its introduction more than two years ago, “Rivers of Light” has enchanted Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests with a nighttime pageant of beautifully illuminated lantern floats, grand theatrical imagery, a soaring musical score and innovative special effects. This summer, the next chapter of this spectacle will unfold with the debut of an updated version of the show, entitled “Rivers of Light: We Are One.”

“Rivers of Light: We Are One” introduces additional, stunning imagery and familiar animal characters from Disneynature films, along with a colorful tapestry of classic moments from Disney animation, to express our connection with animals and the emotions and milestones we all share in our journey through the great circle of life.

The music of “Rivers of Light: We Are One” weaves together the original musical score and familiar Disney themes to create a powerful arrangement that inspires and carries us through moments of discovery, fun, friendship, fear, love and family.

“Rivers of Light: We Are One” comes to the Discovery River Amphitheater at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, beginning Memorial Day Weekend 2019.

Awesome!

Unpopular opinion: I like Rivers of Light. It doesn't hold a candle to Happily ever After or (most likely) the new Epcot show but on it's own I enjoy it and I think it fits in really well at Animal Kingdom. I'm happy to see them improving it.

PS: Based on the name and rendering I'm really curious to see if they seriously break out a Lion King 2 song for this show.

Unpopular opinion: I like Rivers of Light. It doesn't hold a candle to Happily ever After or (most likely) the new Epcot show but on it's own I enjoy it and I think it fits in really well at Animal Kingdom.

I like it too, I could just never really figure out what was going on and what it was supposed to mean!

PS: Based on the name and rendering I'm really curious to see if they seriously break out a Lion King 2 song for this show.

Well, they broke out a Brother Bear song for Disneyland's big 50th anniversary parade. How many people realized that at the time? Not very many. Like with that, I doubt very many people would even realize the song came from a cruddy DTV sequel especially if it was pulled off decently.

I always enjoyed 'He lives in you' from Lion King 2 until I recently saw the musical and realized it had come from there.

• 5 months later...

Hey, so I see that the best park at Walt Disney World hasn't got much attention with every other park building a bunch of awesome stuff but are we going to talk about Primeval Whirl or no?

Obviously this ride is crap and only the whoriest of whores care about it, but isn't it a bit odd for two identical wild mouse rides to be closed since mid-June for unscheduled maintenance and still not bookable on Fastpass even 30 days from now? Have there been any rumblings about this? I'm definitely hoping that these rides aren't long for this world. I don't hate Dinoland as much as most but it's still the crappiest thing in the park and if they replace these then I'm pretty confident that basically anything they put there would be an improvement (not that this is confirmation of a removal or anything, but here's hoping).

Well, they broke out a Brother Bear song for Disneyland's big 50th anniversary parade. How many people realized that at the time? Not very many. Like with that, I doubt very many people would even realize the song came from a cruddy DTV sequel especially if it was pulled off decently.

I never saw it but didn't Phil Collins do the music for Brother Bear? Maybe they put a big Phil fan in charge and they shoehorned it in and hoped that nobody noticed?

Edited by coasterbill

^ I too like Dinosaur, but I'll forget you said that last part.

The Boneyard and Dinosaur fit in well with the park, but Chester and Hester's Dino Rama doesn't. I know they meant for a tacky carnival, but that doesn't feel right in a Disney park.

I'm not one to get bent out of shape about theming and whether or not something fits, but I loathe Primeval Whirl. The area as a whole doesn't bother me, but that particular ride just looks terrible. We skipped it on all 3 of our trips in the last 5 years.