Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: The Official "Knoebels Flying Turns" Thread!

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:08 pm

SharkTums wrote:
kidcoaster 2 wrote:Dick also mentioned that one of the recent earthquakes in california has put a delay on the progress of Flying Turns. Because the guys designing the trains has been locked out of his apartment due to damage to received and the data is locked in his apartment.

WHAT?!?!?

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Eh, you'd be surprised. I've seen projects locked up for similar things that happen to one guy on the team. These days we try to keep everything on a server that everyone can access, but there's always stuff that people have to do off-line. At this point it hardly makes a difference anyway...

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:48 pm

SharkTums wrote:
kidcoaster 2 wrote:Dick also mentioned that one of the recent earthquakes in california has put a delay on the progress of Flying Turns. Because the guys designing the trains has been locked out of his apartment due to damage to received and the data is locked in his apartment.

WHAT?!?!?

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I thought the same thing when I heard that. But if a building is determined unsafe and the local government condemneds it than unfortunately no one can get in. Of course when your original file and back up are in the same building that does create a problem. :?r

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:42 pm

^Exactly.

Two things don't make sense about this:

1. There haven't been any earthquakes here that have led to building closures or anything being deemed unsafe. Trust me, if there was, it would be all over the news as Californians live for crap like that!

2. Having your backup and files and work, all that stuff in the same location with no remote access or backup is equally dumb and that person should be kicked off the project!

But then again, that goes back to one of my earlier points in this thread that Knoebels is doing this project with a small budget and no real time line so these are the types of workers you're left with!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:47 pm

SharkTums wrote:^Exactly.

Two things don't make sense about this:

1. There haven't been any earthquakes here that have led to building closures or anything being deemed unsafe. Trust me, if there was, it would be all over the news as Californians live for crap like that!

There was one a few weeks back with the epicenter just south of the US Mexico border that was felt in some parts of California.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 pm

^Yeah, thanks, I know that, I live here and felt it. It didn't ruin any buildings.

Postby redfoot12 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Jim S. wrote:I just noticed that they have a notice up on Kozmo's Facebook page now,
The Flying Turns is not ready to open. We won't open the ride until we are 100% satisfied that the ride is both safe and thrilling. The originals were thrilling but not up to current safety standards. We're working on solving that.

So hopefully the final result won't be boring. But, I wish they'd explain in detail what the issues are. It's only 25mph, it's not going to pull a Whistler.

Maybe the only reason the originals were thrilling was because of the lack of safety standards.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:57 pm

^^That makes two of us who can't recall any reports of buildings being damaged by that quake.

I also agree that it is ridiculous to not have a backup anywhere.
Last edited by Jew on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:57 pm.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:24 pm

SharkTums wrote:^Yeah, thanks, I know that, I live here and felt it. It didn't ruin any buildings.

Several blocks of buildings in downtown Calexico, California were closed off after the Easter quake due to building damage (including two buildings that partially collapsed), and several buildings are still closed according to the town's website: http://www.calexico.ca.gov/
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:25 pm

^If the company was based in Calexico, then you've just given up all hope on that ride ever opening.

Again, there is no way in hell that they have not been able to get their files or computers or whatever.

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm

On a positive note though, Dick did follow up by saying they are might be able to get the data back soon.

Thinking back though the story did seem rather odd when he told us.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!