Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Way Close to Knoebels!

Re: The Official "Knoebels Flying Turns" Thread!

Postby Josh Linn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 pm

QueerRudie wrote:
I often wonder if the fine people at Knoebels will be brave enough to go after a classic steel coaster, such as a few of the ideas that Herr Achterbahn had been working on prior to his untimely passing. A 'reworked' Figure 8 bahn comes to mind, as with Knoebels preserving classic designs for future generations to enjoy we could see some true classics of the steel era come back to life- and hopefully as intense and wonderful as the predecessors were (Anyone remember the Thriller before it was 'neutered'?) Or could we encourage them to go after the MOTHER of all 'classic' woodies: the Crystal Beach Cyclone? I'll admit that it would have to be modernized for safety- but what a thrill it would be to give the CBC a go or three.

In short: Knoebels has the balls to try the 'long forgotten' designs of the past. They are paying a -very small- price for keeping our future generations historically informed on what very few of us have been able to ride on.

R.D.

I don't know how true this is, but years ago I was told Knoebel's had the plans to both the Rye Airplane Coaster and Idora Wildcat. Even if they were considering trying to resurrect one of them, I don't know where they would've put it. Unless I'm forgetting a place, the mountain is really the only place they have left if they want to build a major coaster.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby ctriceman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:11 am

Josh Linn wrote: If this ride is so much as average, they're going to get blasted for it,

Blasted by who? People on a roller coaster board? The ride could totally suck, or even never open, people will still go to Knoebels in droves and it will still be the greatest park around, and I don't think they're gonna lose much sleep over what a few people have to say about their new ride not opening on time.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Reon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:16 am

I only have 2 things to say about the whole Flying Turns issue...

Firstly, It'll be done when its done, so stop complaining. Despite this one taking longer than usual, Knoebels has had a long history of constructing things slowly. This is partially because they are all HOME MADE and therefore unique and take extra care/time to do right. And usually its a quality>quantity thing since most of thier stuff is epic win. Plus the fact that they ARE working on other projects concurrently. They've started restoring a long defunct coaster and made a new kiddie since then....

Second, for those of you that dont think it will be thrilling enough, too bad. Even if this doesn't turn out to be the most amazing ride in the world, Knoebels still HAS the best wood I've ever been on. So if your really complaining about the Turns that much, the just give Phoenix some loving. Just means one less person in line for the new coaster I have to wait behind.

-Reon, who will continue to wait patiently as he plans his next Knoebels visit SINCE ITS THE BEST PARK EVER
Proud Coney Island Ride-op for 6 years!
Kings Island MSD/Racer crew of 2011
Kings Island Vortex/Windseeker crew of 2012-2013
Best Coaster Ever: :airtimer: Phoenix :airtimer: Top Steel: Intimidator 305 (Maverick in CLOSE 2nd)

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:18 am

ctriceman wrote:
Josh Linn wrote: If this ride is so much as average, they're going to get blasted for it,

Blasted by who? People on a roller coaster board? The ride could totally suck, or even never open, people will still go to Knoebels in droves and it will still be the greatest park around, and I don't think they're gonna lose much sleep over what a few people have to say about their new ride not opening on time.

Local GP people, for one, and they make up nearly all of Knoebel's attendance numbers. It's not something that's going to cause people to stop going, but it's going to be a black eye of sorts on the park's otherwise flawless record.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 am

I think that enthusiasts will be satisfied with the end result because we realize how difficult the task Knoebels has undertaken is.

Meanwhile, I think the GP will be fine because it is truly going to be a one-of-a-kind ride.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby ctriceman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 am

Josh Linn wrote:
Local GP people, for one, and they make up nearly all of Knoebel's attendance numbers. It's not something that's going to cause people to stop going, but it's going to be a black eye of sorts on the park's otherwise flawless record.

How many local GP people are you referring to? I'm local, the people I know that go to Knoebels don't even go for thrills, they go for the atmosphere, the prices, the fact that it's local, and company picnics. The past few years Knoebels has had their best years despite the crappy economy. Was it last year or the year before their opening day was by far the most crowded they ever had? Do you really think that people, who aren't enthusiasts, are gonna stop going to Knoebels if FT doesn't open?

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:18 am

ctriceman wrote:
Josh Linn wrote:

How many local GP people are you referring to? I'm local, the people I know that go to Knoebels don't even go for thrills, they go for the atmosphere, the prices, the fact that it's local, and company picnics. The past few years Knoebels has had their best years despite the crappy economy. Was it last year or the year before their opening day was by far the most crowded they ever had? Do you really think that people, who aren't enthusiasts, are gonna stop going to Knoebels if FT doesn't open?

No, which is why I said:

It's not something that's going to cause people to stop going, but it's going to be a black eye of sorts on the park's otherwise flawless record.

It's making them look really bad. I know several people who already think that they've given up on it because there hasn't been any visual (or any other) signs of progress in nearly a year.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:05 pm

I just noticed that they have a notice up on Kozmo's Facebook page now,
The Flying Turns is not ready to open. We won't open the ride until we are 100% satisfied that the ride is both safe and thrilling. The originals were thrilling but not up to current safety standards. We're working on solving that.

So hopefully the final result won't be boring. But, I wish they'd explain in detail what the issues are. It's only 25mph, it's not going to pull a Whistler.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Had a great opening day and thanks to alot of track work Phoenix is running even better! Twister also had some work.

Dick gave a little speech during Lunch and told us about Black Diamond and mentioned work on the building should start monday!

Dick also mentioned that one of the recent earthquakes in california has put a delay on the progress of Flying Turns. Because the guys designing the trains has been locked out of his apartment due to damage to received and the data is locked in his apartment.

Here are a few photos of Black Diamond.
25132_1453061169099_1310377347_1272002_1203219_n.jpg
25132_1453064329178_1310377347_1272009_6060779_n.jpg
25132_1453063529158_1310377347_1272008_7528558_n.jpg
OMG we have Vertical Construction!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:02 pm

kidcoaster 2 wrote:Dick also mentioned that one of the recent earthquakes in california has put a delay on the progress of Flying Turns. Because the guys designing the trains has been locked out of his apartment due to damage to received and the data is locked in his apartment.

WHAT?!?!?

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!