Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: The Official "Knoebels Flying Turns" Thread!

Postby CoasterBoyJosh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:27 am

^Agreed. I'm sick of this soap opera, As the Flying Turns. Watching it isn't worth the drama.

Sure, the coaster will be a novelty, complimenting Knoebels and the park's classic nature. However, it's not like they're constructing Voyage 2.0.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:47 am

Maybe they're learning why no one has built one of these in 40 years. I'd like to see them succeed, though.

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 pm

I would rather have seen them shell out this money for a Boulder Dash-esque woodie, or even something like a Maurer Sohne spinning wild mouse in Whirlwind's place, at least that would be open by now.

I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high. If this ride is so much as average, they're going to get blasted for it, moreso than they would have had it just been a traditional over-the-winter construction.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Josh Linn wrote:
I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high.

I don't think many people have as high expectations for the ride as you think.

Just be happy that even though it has taken a few years longer than expected they haven't stopped investing in the park, and they are already working on other projects.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:25 pm

I mean, with the time they're taking to build this, everyone is going to be expecting this ride to be amazing and overall expectations will be sky high.

+1!

If they're having that much trouble making the train "behave", who's to say that the final version won't be so tame as to lose all the thrill? I mean, the only other bobsled I've been on is Disaster Transport, but it's my least-favorite coaster (non-painful coaster anyway) of any kind anywhere. (Yes, I'm aware that a Flying Turns layout is completely unlike any other bobsled layout, but slow is slow.)

Way Close to Knoebels!

Postby Josh Linn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:31 pm

kidcoaster 2 wrote:
Josh Linn wrote:

I don't think many people have as high expectations for the ride as you think.

Just be happy that even though it has taken a few years longer than expected they haven't stopped investing in the park, and they are already working on other projects.

I live 15 minutes away from the park. Trust me, everyone I've talked to about it (while not enthusiasts) are A) fed up with how long it's taking and B) expecting an amazing ride.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Josh Linn wrote:
kidcoaster 2 wrote:

I live 15 minutes away from the park. Trust me, everyone I've talked to about it (while not enthusiasts) are A) fed up with how long it's taking and B) expecting an amazing ride.

A) No body expected it to take this long and Knoebels is still putting out a great effort to get it open as soon as possible and they also need to make sure it is done right.

B) Who knows what the final product will be like. Some will love it some will hate it thats just how it is.

But I think when it is done it will be a nice family ride and something Knoebels can be proud of.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:32 pm

kidcoaster 2 wrote:But I think when it is done it will be a nice family ride and something Knoebels can be proud of.

I think over time, you're probably right. Just like the Mack bobsleds you see at other parks. They don't blow people away, but it's a nice family ride.

In the short term though, I think people may be disappointed. I'm not sure how much more of a wild ride this version of the Bobsled is going to be over the current steel/fiberglass models out there, but if it ends up being equivellent fo a "Wooden Mack Bobsled" then I'm not sure it's going to meet some people's expectations.

I wonder if Knoebel's had known how long this was going to be in development for if they would have just opted for a really nice junior woodie instead...

Unless of course the ride turns out to be balls out crazy....
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:32 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 pm

^I still have high expectations for the ride. I base this on listening to some podcasts from Knoebels where they discussed how the modern bobsled rides were "only a fraction as fun" as the old Flying Turns rides. I believe Dick himself had ridden one of the old Flying Turns rides. I'll take their word for it for now.

And if it just turns out to be only as good as a steel bobsled coaster, I do not care. I'd rather spend the day at Knoebels than just about any other park in the world.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Building a project as complicated in so many ways like this has to be a real challenge. I give -major- props to Knoebels for even attempting something that was going to cause headaches like this. How many people would ever say that Six Flags would even -try- to build such a machine? Very few, I'm quite sure. As a result, we wait. Patiently.

I am reminded of a quote= "To the victors go the spoils of war" when looking at it: A one of a kind bobsled, which hasn't been resurrected in wood in decades. That in itself is free promotion, despite the setbacks. Imagine the kind of news coverage such a thing will provide if marketed right.

I often wonder if the fine people at Knoebels will be brave enough to go after a classic steel coaster, such as a few of the ideas that Herr Achterbahn had been working on prior to his untimely passing. A 'reworked' Figure 8 bahn comes to mind, as with Knoebels preserving classic designs for future generations to enjoy we could see some true classics of the steel era come back to life- and hopefully as intense and wonderful as the predecessors were (Anyone remember the Thriller before it was 'neutered'?) Or could we encourage them to go after the MOTHER of all 'classic' woodies: the Crystal Beach Cyclone? I'll admit that it would have to be modernized for safety- but what a thrill it would be to give the CBC a go or three.

In short: Knoebels has the balls to try the 'long forgotten' designs of the past. They are paying a -very small- price for keeping our future generations historically informed on what very few of us have been able to ride on.

R.D.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!