Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:48 am

I am probably a little more excited about this than the average seasoned enthusiast. Everyone I have ever talked to that has rode the Euclid Beach turns had nothing but great things to say about it. I EXPECT that this will be a great ride that will not be mistaken for a Mack Bobsled.

But it will be short.
Ted

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby N'at Man » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:05 am

I'm going to side with Ted on this one. For starters, I'm very interested in following the project as it is in-house and something I have not seen in my lifetime. Another potentially force lacking B&M like Patriot really doesn't get my attention. I love Mack bobsleds but this ride should be different. More compact and potentially faster with shorter trains. I think the big question is will it be wild or will it be more of a family ride. I think I'll like it either way. I have seen POV of the old flying turns and I wouldn't mistake it for a Mack Bobsled due to the faster speed. I think that's the key more than having minimal restraints. I agree that a ride like this won't be as scary to the modern day guest but I think it still has some potential.

It's hard to say what we'll get but when things are done in house, you usually get some wild moments. Knoebels doesn't have Walter and Claude doing calculations for them. Still it may end up on the milder side. It's hard to tell but that makes the project interesting. Knoebels Twister was an interesting project to follow although that ride didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I think they tried to be too faithful to Mr. Twister's original calculations but adding 10 ft to everything. That was probably a mistake as the ride is hardly an overall faithful recreation anyway. But the Flying Turns is the perfect project for Knoebels to undertake.
--Tim

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby VegasCoaster » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:17 am

I'm pretty excited for this, not that I'll ever get out there to ride it, but from what I can tell it looks like all the old flying turns rides had some rather tight turns in them combined with some decent sized drops and a compact layout. I think with that combination this could very well be a thrill ride, although a family ride type layout may be more feasible.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:32 am

N'at Man wrote:I think the big question is will it be wild or will it be more of a family ride. I think I'll like it either way.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

--Robb "You can't go wrong with Knoebel's" Alvey

Rock Your Cock!

Postby Canobie Fan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 am

robbalvey wrote:-Robb "You can't go wrong with Knoebel's" Alvey

Ride the powersurge they have then tell me that.....
Knoebels and Rye Playland must have the crappyest powersurges ever...

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby peteb » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:42 am

I think a faithful reproduction of a Flying Turns would make a great ride, but then again the original designers didn't have to contend with lawyers, insurance companies and safety regulations that have the potential to kill a thrilling ride. I have faith however that whatever Knoebels creates, it will be a great addition to the park and I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I saw Deja Vu was open

Postby Krazykral10 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:49 am

I thought that there was a Flying Turns at SFMM (La Vibora), but maybe that really is just a bobsled. I dont know, is that one a Mack? But I'm only 3 hrs. from Knoebel's and this wuold make me really happy :b

Looking for one more nickel night reride

Postby Tour2ma » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:09 am

Well the FT's aren't being hyped because there's no attention grabbing stat like Toro's steepest first hill (woodie). And with most of the public only having reasonably lame modern Bobsled rides to relate to....

Anyway, the good news is that the updates are now active...
http://www.knoebels.com/update.htm

And word is that the Riverside FT's is the basis for the Knoebel's design.

Let the hype begin...

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:38 am

^That was an Intamin Bobsled that is now located at SFoT.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby coasterace » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:50 am

I'm just glad they finally updated their calendar - I was wondering when opening day was.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!