Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:09 pm

I'm gonna have to go and cause trouble here...

Will it be fun? YES! Will it be cool? YES! Is Knoebels a great park? YES! Is this a good addition for the park? I guess. Is Knoebels getting a great deal on this ride because they can make it themselves? Absolutely!

From everything I've seen and read about these rides it just seems like a bobsled made out of wood. Which is good, because I love bobsled rides, and I'm hoping that Knoebels will make it amazing, but those of you who might be expecting the next Pheonix or Twister, better not get your hopes up for anything better than a bobsled.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:17 pm

Everything I've read indicates that these were some of the most terrifying and fearsome rides ever... ::?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:23 pm

But everything from that 'age' was terrifying and fearsome due to lack of safety stuff!
:lolr:

Again, I'm hoping for the best, but not getting my hopes up at the same time.

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:26 pm

^ That's so true. :lmao: Really, I think this flying turns will be a good addition to the park. Sure, I've never been there, but from what I've heard, Knobel's needs a steel coaster.
---Brent =)
Disobey

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:26 pm

SharkTums wrote:But everything from that 'age' was terrifying and fearsome due to lack of safety stuff!
:lolr:

Which also applies to Knoebels! ::lol::

"where are the seatbelts?" ::lol::

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:07 pm

I also agree that, while I think this is going to be quite a fun and unique ride, I'm not expecting anything more than a "wooden bobsled." And hey, I really like bobsled rides!

I might be wrong, and I'll be the first to say it once I ride the thing, but I'm picturing this more of a "family" roller coaster and less of a top ten thrill ride.

--Robb

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby FlyerACE1 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:12 pm

bob256 wrote:Well, it looks like the project is a "go". Knoebels posted some pix of the first stage of the Flying Turns project. Here is the link:

http://www.knoebels.com/update.htm

I have to say, I'm kind of confused by this project. I mean, I'm looking at those pictures and I'm thinking it's a bunch of park workers standing around pouring some concrete for a small flat ride or something. What is the scale of this project supposed to be? Are we talking a small prototype or is it just that it's going to take a couple years to build and open? I would think the resurrection of the classic Flying Turns would garner a lot more attention in the industry and yet very little is known about the project. I'm also trying to figure out from thos photos where this thing is going. Anyone know?

It's rare that Knoebels does anything half ass so I have to believe this will be a great ride but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Live to Ride,
Adam Revesz 8)

My That's A Big Drink!

Postby rollermonkey » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:13 pm

Track length seems so important on bobs... They are all so short and over so quick...
:(

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:40 pm

Yeah, I'm in the "sure it looks like it will be a unique and fun wooden bobsled" camp. If and when this finally does open, I'll be happy to ride it, as its an extinct brand of coasters brought back from the ashes. I don't see it as being some super thrill machine slaughtering dogs, pigs, and small children though. If its anywhere remotely similar to Avalanche at Blackpool though, its definitely an attraction worthy of Knoebels, as that thing had some great airtime and directional changes for as short as it is!

I'm guessing these things were so "terrifying" back in the day because they were trackless and people didn't really have physics classes and stuff like that, so everyone thought a ride on one of these meant certain death and carnage. Like mostly every ride back then, you were "held" in by a seatbelt (which pretty much stood for "this means you're supposed to remain seated until the ride comes to a complete and final stop"). Somewhere along the way, we forgot restraint meant sit, and so every ride now has like 2 ways to keep you from getting out before your time. Think how many rides today would be more terrifying if you were only held in by a seatbelt?
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby MLRC7 CP » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:28 am

x would be horrible

yay for the ressurection of the flying turns

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!