Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 442: Park Reopening July 1!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby operative_me » Mon May 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Interesting article about Knoebels, not a ton of new info but it is interesting how they will work out dealing with different guidelines in the two counties the park resides in.

Knoebels Summer Plans Still Uncertain

ELYSBURG — The re-opening of Knoebels Amusement Resort for its 94th season remains an uncertainty during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The state Department of Health indicated that amusement parks can operate in the green, or the final, phase of reopening, but the park is situated between Northumberland and Columbia counties. Northumberland has been in the yellow phase since May 8 and Columbia County since May 15, so it’s unlikely both counties will move to green at the same time.

“It’s tough to say what will happen,” said Knoebels Public Relations Manager Stacy Ososkie. “The business’s physical address is in Northumberland County. The challenge is half our rides and attractions are in one county and the other half in another.”

Roaring Creek divides the park in half. The main parking lot and popular rides like Impulse, the Grand Carousel and the Ferris Wheel are on the Columbia County side.

The earliest opening date for the amusement park is June 29, but that’s if it’s announced this week that Northumberland County has a planned date to enter the green phase, said Ososkie.

“We are gradually inviting back our full-time team to complete projects as permitted by state guidelines,” said Ososkie. “However, we’re doing so in a cautious manner, taking into account the unclear timeframe we have to prepare the park. Though some projects have resumed, much park prep remains on hold due to the uncertainly of when amusement parks will be permitted to open.”

Ososkie said the park is updating its calendar week by week at http://www.knoebels.com/TodayAtK.

Another question is the logistics of keeping park visitors socially distanced. The park is free admission with no gates or fences, so Knoebels does not keep a record of park attendance, only estimates based on cars in the parking lots.

“We have discussed options for managing attendance, but we haven’t made any definite decisions on that just yet,” said Ososkie.

The park has 2,300 employees during a typical year, including seasonal workers. Some have been re-hired through one in-person event before the shutdown. Two physical job fairs were canceled and employees were hired through virtual interviews, she said.

“Safety is always our top priority,” she said. “We don’t know what the requirements will be, but we’ll be prepared to follow them. We have a team planning and investigating operational adjustments for the park. We have 150 hand sanitizer stations that we will place around the park. We’re working on enhancing our cleaning and sanitizing routines.”

Buddy Knoebel, third generation owner and co-manager, said he looks forward to re-opening.

“I miss the people — seeing smiles on their faces and families enjoying time together,” he said. “I miss the sound of roller coasters, and the laughter as you travel throughout the park. I miss the interaction with our guests, and witnessing the results of our team’s efforts to make our guests happy. I miss the team who makes this all happen. The park is an outlet; people visit here to experience joy. It really all comes down to being about the people.”

New ride

The park’s new “Tornado” ride is still in Colorado where it was being manufactured. The 32-passenger ride will be located near the StratosFear. Visitors need to be 38 inches tall to ride Tornado with an adult, and 48 inches to ride alone.

“Prior to everything shutting down, we received a video of it being tested,” said Ososkie. “It seems to be in good shape. We believe it is a possibility to have it here this season.”

Other Knoebel businesses

The park’s related businesses are opened or will be opening soon with restrictions and precautions.

Three Ponds Golf Course opened May 1. Knoebel Lumber and Nickleplate Bar and Grill remained open as essential businesses with Nickleplate only offering takeout.

Lake Glory Campground reopened on May 22 and the park campground reopens June 11. There are reservations, she said.

“The amusement park is closed, but many families can still enjoy spending quality time together in the great outdoors,” said Ososkie.

The park’s social media page on Facebook is also keeping visitors and park enthusiasts engaged, she said.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed May 27, 2020 6:09 am

Break out the "Waiting for parts from Colorado" sign.
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed May 27, 2020 6:09 am.

Postby prozach626 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm

No mention of virtual queuing.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby bejackso » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:43 am

any word on when/if knoebels will be opening?

Postby YoshiFan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:04 pm

I’m having trouble linking to it but on their Facebook page, the calendar shows the earliest they could open is July 3rd

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:14 pm

^I believe that's similar to Hershey's date. I really hope Knoebels can get open.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:47 pm

prozach626 wrote:No mention of virtual queuing.

Not sure they have the digital infrastructure to implement that.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby RideWoodenCoasters » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 pm

If they don't sell the ride all day tickets they wouldn't need it. Their issue is as a free parking/admission ungated park...no way to limit entrance. Now at least the Family Kingdom example is out there...similar, not the same.

Knoebels is my favorite place in the world and I'm worried about their future.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby glowskull9 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:11 pm

theoretically they could limit the number of cars that park, and hope it somehow correlates to guest attendance numbers?

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:17 pm

They could also very easily and relatively cheaply put something like this: Image

around the perimeter, and have counters in place at the designated entry/exit gaps.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!