Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1304 - Catwoman Whip Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

Just for clarification, this is a question and not an argument:

Is Six Flags sustaining enough attendance during slow off-season weekends to keep up with the longevity of their rides? Common sense tells you that rides have limited life spans. When you run them more frequently, they'e running the clock on the shelf-life. For example, when Mr. Freeze finally gets too rough or too costly to maintain, is Six Flags drawing in, or considering, long term financial growth to replace these high dollar attractions? When it finally bites the dust, will they just replace it with a less expensive attraction?

By no means do I think Mr. Freeze will be gone within a few years, but it has gotten to the point where my wife, and not myself, considers it too shaky to comfortably ride. She doesn't like it anymore, because it gives her a headache. The worst part is that it's right by that bar and it taunts me. First they reverse blast the coaster and now when I start to warm up to its lesser form (I said it. Eat shit.) my wife doesn't want to ride it. Tragedy.

Either way, I'm asking if anyone thinks the park is considering that the more you use the roller coaster, the quicker they will wear. Wooden coasters can be maintained, but steel will fatuge. Everyone turns to the Phantom's Revenge argument, but that ride had other issues to begin with.

I've wondered if Cedar Fair considers this, since they limit their attractions during winterfest. From a personal percpective, it doesn't 'seem' like the attendance in cold weather is comparable to June-August, even on the weekends.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:10 am

If Mr. Freeze is running rough it's probably not a permanent thing. The train just probably needs refurb or it's running on sh*tty wheels which it probably is because it's Six Flags and that's how they (pun not intended) roll.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert and answer your question, but parks like Busch Tampa and Knott's have coasters that are butter smooth that have operated for like 40 years in parks that are open every day of the year. I feel like Six Flags will be fine if they care enough to make the necessary investments, which is debatable. :lol:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Danrarbc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 am

coasterbill wrote:If Mr. Freeze is running rough it's probably not a permanent thing. The train just probably needs refurb or it's running on sh*tty wheels which it probably is because it's Six Flags and that's how they (pun not intended) roll.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert and answer your question, but parks like Busch Tampa and Knott's have coasters that are butter smooth that have operated for like 40 years in parks that are open every day of the year. I feel like Six Flags will be fine if they care enough to make the necessary investments, which is debatable. :lol:

Heck Freeze might just come down to the material used on the wheels. Summer vs winter compounds, not to mention temperature swings can actually cause the layer to fracture - which wouldn't be dangerous as long as they're small but might make the ride rougher.

I haven't noticed a significant change in Freeze's overall roughness - but I have noticed changes from visit to visit. Not every launch is the same either, so it'll carry more speed on some runs. I really don't think there's an age or maintenance issue here - it just responds to external variables differently than some of our other steel coasters.

Knott's, Magic Mountain and Busch Gardens generally have different temperature swings to contend with BTW. This HITP we had days in the 50s right next to other days it never made it out of the 20s.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby teacherkim » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

I think staffing could be a serious issue as well if they tried to do year round here, because of the inconsistency of the weather. There are lots of days during the current HITP that staff is sent home after just a couple hours because of weather and/or low crowds. While obviously somewhat inevitable it's a real drag to get ready for work, drive in, potentially spend 5 or 6 bucks at the employee cafeteria and only work long enough to make $20. While that is alright for a month at the end of the season, I'm not sure it's viable for the entire winter. Of course staff makes no money for about 2 and a half months as it currently stands, they at least know that when hired and can plan accordingly.

Also, with less rides available and no draw of holiday lights, shows, food, etc.....will the people even come. Cold weather is kind of cute in December when everyone is in the Christmas mood but gets old real quick by mid January. Add to that the issue of ride maintenance and I don't see it happening.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Danrarbc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Ride maintenance isn't really an issue. You create a ride maintenance schedule and then just stick to it. Every single year round park has already had to do this. Down in Over Texas it looks like it might be Batman and Joker currently undergoing their maintenance downtime - but the park isn't open until Saturday so the app will be more help then. Here in STL they already use HITP for Eagle and Boss work.

Staffing is always a problem though even in the other cities. They're going to have to figure something out on that front.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SteveStL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 pm

for you fulltimers at SFSTL, anything exciting happening around the Park lately??

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby castaway_kid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Construction is starting in the front mall area to improve flow and appearance.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby HWFan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am

The park has all new internships opportunities currently posted that are new this year, which is in addition a cornucopia of other positions available (including a couple full-time salaried roles). The full list of current openings can be found at www.SixFlagsJobs.com.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SteveStL » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:12 am

castaway_kid wrote:Construction is starting in the front mall area to improve flow and appearance.
that's cool. Inside or Outside of the Park? ...or Both?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Danrarbc » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:26 am

All I know is it would be cool if we duplicated the Six Flags Over Georgia member entrance. Members get their own metal detectors, and a soda fountain to be able to fill their drinks as they enter the park. Even just implementing part of that experience.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!