Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1304 - Catwoman Whip Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby TNT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm

toomuchstereo wrote:
This would only be an issue if they deliberately used AC motors that produced less torque. A correctly sized 3 phase motor could run the ride exactly the same.

Pound for pound nothing can out perform hydraulics. Example, the lift motors on Boomerang are more than 4x the physical size of the hydraulic motors they replaced and weigh significantly more as well.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby toomuchstereo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:35 pm

TNT wrote:
toomuchstereo wrote:
This would only be an issue if they deliberately used AC motors that produced less torque. A correctly sized 3 phase motor could run the ride exactly the same.

Pound for pound nothing can out perform hydraulics. Example, the lift motors on Boomerang are more than 4x the physical size of the hydraulic motors they replaced and weigh significantly more as well.

This is also true. They are more efficient. I’m just giving my input as someone who works on these rides for a living. I do imagine a tourbillon with hydraulics would be a more interesting ride as I’m sure they undersized the motors on the final model.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby jamesk25 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:27 pm

SteveStL wrote:Why spend the cash in Advertising around STL? Everyone knows SF is here and there is nothing to really advertise about. I would hope they advertise elsewhere though, like Memphis or other smaller cities around the Midwest. ...and Holiday World does just that. I am sure they don't advertise locally, no point.

Where I live, the next major city is Mount Vernon IL, they have at least 3 billboards along the highway promoting Holiday World and that is 2hrs away, SFStL on the other hand has no such promotion this far out. Taco Bell, the local grocery store, and even where I work all offer some sort of discount to Holiday World, Six Flags none that I am aware of. That's what I am trying to say.

Holiday World does advertise locally, I have see billboards as close to 30mins from the park, even driving back I saw at least one billboard telling me to turn back around.

yawetag wrote:That's typical for any regional park. Carowinds is essentially dead until the schools are out, and even then the weekday lines are typically short. Come on a Saturday or Sunday and you're going to see longer lines.

In the same vein, I was at Busch Gardens Tampa this past Friday. I don't think we waited more than 30 minutes for any ride. Granted, we didn't go to Tigris, but the app wasn't showing anything longer than 60 minutes at any point.

I get what you are saying, but Carowinds and Busch Gardens are better destination parks, even when SFStL park is "busy" it really ain't that bad compared to lets say SFGAm. The point I was making was highlighting what prozach said about all the rowdy teenagers roaming the parks, and why are park is such a blast to enjoy during the early opening months.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby jamesk25 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:42 pm

TNT wrote:
toomuchstereo wrote:

Just by watching the original prototype and Cyborg Cyber Spin, the prototype goes so much faster, the prototype is already in full spin by the time it is halfway raised while Cyborg is still rocking and continues to rock until the other arm starts to move. No wonder while people are bored, they are being rocked to sleep :lmao:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:09 am

Just pushing more advertising our won't do the trick. Six Flags is a local park. Holiday World is a destination. The two are hard to compare.

Yes, Six Flags is larger and can offer more thrills and attractions. But, the people I know who go to Holiday World do it for cheap trips with their families, which is exactly the kind of experience they advertise and offer. You and the kids can spend a couple nights at the campground and visit a small, clean, and friendly family oriented theme park that entices parents with things like free sunscreen, free soft drinks, and free parking. It's a quick getaway that is always a hit with families. What a simplistically brilliant way of making families want to visit the park, since things like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, and Haloween are already intertwined with the concept of spending time with family and making great memories.

You can't put Batman: The Ride up against that. It's not a fair comparison. Holiday World's advertisements here will be a lot more effective than our advertisements in Santa Clause. You have to change what the park is and change what it's known for in order to reach beyond the local area. But, that's not going to happen and regardless of what enthusiasts say, it doesn't need to happen. The park is making a sustainable predictable profit. There's no reason to change anything or add the abstract idea of what enthusiasts would consider to be a 'signature attraction.'

I'm also not really sure how SFSTL vomiting deals all over my email inbox isn't advertising. "Come to our park next Wednesday, bring four people free, and receive a ten dollar bill just by walking in the gate."

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby jamesk25 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 am

prozach626 wrote:You have to change what the park is and change what it's known for in order to reach beyond the local area. But, that's not going to happen and regardless of what enthusiasts say, it doesn't need to happen. The park is making a sustainable predictable profit. There's no reason to change anything or add the abstract idea of what enthusiasts would consider to be a 'signature attraction.'

That is actually a pretty good way to sum things up
Last edited by jamesk25 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:46 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:52 am

Of course Six Flags doesn't advertise as far out geographically as Holiday World. They've got 2 million people right there. You know how far out from the park HW has to go to get to the same population as St. Louis? Evansville is a pretty small city.

When you have to convince every visitor that your place is worth a significant drive, you do things differently than when people can just pop in for an evening after work.

prozach626 wrote:I'm also not really sure how SFSTL vomiting deals all over my email inbox isn't advertising. "Come to our park next Wednesday, bring four people free, and receive a ten dollar bill just by walking in the gate."

:lmao: :nina:

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SteveStL » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm

So any activity, markers, survey equipment , etc. at our park? any indicators at all for 2020 ???

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Danrarbc » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:10 pm

SteveStL wrote:So any activity, markers, survey equipment , etc. at our park? any indicators at all for 2020 ???

Not that I know of. Which would suggest nothing large incoming (not a big leap of a prediction for this park anyway).

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby SFStl Fan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:32 am

Danrarbc wrote:Not that I know of. Which would suggest nothing large incoming (not a big leap of a prediction for this park anyway).

Not necessarily true. It's Six Flags. It was almost December before they really started doing anything with Maxx Force at Great America. However, this is also Six Flags St Louis so most likely nothing major.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!