Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1304 - Catwoman Whip Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: Google [Bot] and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby jamesk25 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:56 am

prozach626 wrote: I'm curious if Six Flags is satisfied with the outcome.

Easy way to be find out if they are satisfied would be if they announced another Tourbillion.

I am still curious to ride it, I wonder if the GP soaks it up even they know its a bad ride (Boomerang anyone?)

TNT wrote:Second, ABC changed the design of the Tourbillion between the prototype and the construction of the models Six Flags purchased. The original ran using hydraulic motors to move the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings of the ride. This gave the prototype more torque allowing it to flip more like the animation. The ones Six Flags purchased use 3 phase motors which have less torque which prevents the ride from flipping as easily.

I wonder if any park in the US would install the hydraulic version, I guess cost is the reason Six Flags used 3 phase motors.

prozach626 wrote:Most of my peers 'like' roller coasters. But, being so close to SFStl they don't know what a good park is. Also, our most modern ride is 20 years old. More than that, the focus of our peers is elsewhere. My friends are raising families and they don't have much spare time. Going to a place filled with rowdy teens and large crowds isn't appealing to them. Even the people our age without kids would much rather spend a relaxing evening having a couple drinks on their patios, going out somewhere nice for dinner, or if they're feeling adventurous, going to a baseball or hockey game.

From what I have seen most people in our area would rather travel to Holiday World than Six Flags, whenever I bring up SF they immediately turn to HW as they like the more family aspect of the park (and free things). Six Flags Corp. is not doing enough in our area to attract more people outside of the city, the lack of the "big" attraction definitely hurts. Have you see the absurd amount of Holiday World billboards there are in Saint Louis, but barely any for Six Flags? On that note, Saint Louis is not a "tourist" destination, we have some wonderful things but not much know about them, City Museum has noted this problem a few time due to the lack of a advertising budget but the Premier Parks buyout is supposed to fix that.
Last edited by jamesk25 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:12 pm.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby TNT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 am

jamesk25 wrote:I wonder if any park in the US would install the hydraulic version, I guess cost is the reason Six Flags used 3 phase motors.

The Tourbillion was originally released in 2015 and, outside of the prototype, none were sold. My guess as to why is the price was more than any park was willing to pay.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby yawetag » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:07 am

jamesk25 wrote:Six Flags Corp. is not doing enough in our area to attract more people outside of the city, the lack of the "big" attraction definitely hurts.

jamesk25 wrote:And crowds and long lines is why I despise going to the park during the summer

How can you argue that SF isn't doing enough to attract more people, then complain about more people being in the park?

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Chiselphane » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:20 am

yawetag wrote:
jamesk25 wrote:Six Flags Corp. is not doing enough in our area to attract more people outside of the city, the lack of the "big" attraction definitely hurts.

jamesk25 wrote:And crowds and long lines is why I despise going to the park during the summer

How can you argue that SF isn't doing enough to attract more people, then complain about more people being in the park?

The food here is terrible! And such small portions!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby jamesk25 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:44 am

yawetag wrote: How can you argue that SF isn't doing enough to attract more people, then complain about more people being in the park?

The crowds are mainly coming from people in the city and surrounding metro, and the crowds are only really bad in the summer because school is out and the park is cheap to get in. The beginning months heading into June are never really crowded if you have to wait in line it is mostly around 15-30m unless it is a Saturday/holiday, and Holiday in the Park I have yet to see a 15+ wait in line on any ride.

Now I argue that SFStL is mostly a one and done for a while park for many traveling, most enthusiasts are not willing to make the trek to our park if it is not already in the path of their next park (like SDC or HW). I also think that SF corp. is still not doing enough outside of the city to really promote the park, like for instance I live 2hrs outside of the park and the only billboards I ever see is for Holiday World.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SteveStL » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:47 am

Why spend the cash in Advertising around STL? Everyone knows SF is here and there is nothing to really advertise about. I would hope they advertise elsewhere though, like Memphis or other smaller cities around the Midwest. ...and Holiday World does just that. I am sure they don't advertise locally, no point.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:57 am

jamesk25 wrote:Now I argue that SFStL is mostly a one and done for a while park for many traveling, most enthusiasts are not willing to make the trek to our park if it is not already in the path of their next park (like SDC or HW). I also think that SF corp. is still not doing enough outside of the city to really promote the park, like for instance I live 2hrs outside of the park and the only billboards I ever see is for Holiday World.

part of the reason we booked our trip to St Louis was SFStL (the other reasons were City Museum and the Gateway Arch).

we didn't go to any other parks, we went to Six Flags.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby yawetag » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 am

jamesk25 wrote:The crowds are mainly coming from people in the city and surrounding metro, and the crowds are only really bad in the summer because school is out and the park is cheap to get in. The beginning months heading into June are never really crowded if you have to wait in line it is mostly around 15-30m unless it is a Saturday/holiday, and Holiday in the Park I have yet to see a 15+ wait in line on any ride.

That's typical for any regional park. Carowinds is essentially dead until the schools are out, and even then the weekday lines are typically short. Come on a Saturday or Sunday and you're going to see longer lines.

In the same vein, I was at Busch Gardens Tampa this past Friday. I don't think we waited more than 30 minutes for any ride. Granted, we didn't go to Tigris, but the app wasn't showing anything longer than 60 minutes at any point.

Postby toomuchstereo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:29 am

TNT wrote:
Vonni wrote:If a tourbillion ran like in the animation videos, it might be more popular. I don't understand why SF doesn't want it ran at its best.
First, it was an animation.

Second, ABC changed the design of the Tourbillion between the prototype and the construction of the models Six Flags purchased. The original ran using hydraulic motors to move the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings of the ride. This gave the prototype more torque allowing it to flip more like the animation. The ones Six Flags purchased use 3 phase motors which have less torque which prevents the ride from flipping as easily.

This would only be an issue if they deliberately used AC motors that produced less torque. A correctly sized 3 phase motor could run the ride exactly the same.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ChrisGraslie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Here's the band lineup for Flagstock. I'm not familiar with any of the bands (I'd assume they're all local), but seems like a fun event!
IMG_20190724_163748.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!