TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are they really that bad?  

1. 1. Are they really that bad?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The layout itself is actually really darn good. I've had the opportunity to ride a few SLCs back when they were smooth and they really are great rides. But that is very shortlived. Layout is great, but the ride sucks. You really get beat around pretty hard and the shuffling is horrendous. For guys, point that splits the legs on the seat becomes your worst nightmare when the shuffling begins.

if I tell you its the best ride ever will you run to a park like, right now to ride it or if I tell you it sucks will you never go to a park w/ one...

Its all opinionated man what may be cool for one person may not be for the next. If you wanna see if they are rough or not...just ride one!

Jarvis "BTW, I like them..." Morant

If you know how to ride them, they're excellent !

Always ride them in the first row and get your head out of the restraint as much as you can !

I remember the first time i rode Kong at SFMW, i hated it.... too much headbanging.. but after giving it some rides, I learned how to get a good ride... and I think it's an awesome ride. At the top of the hill the train is going so slow that the feeling of your feets dangling so high above ground is a big thrill... and i love it when the train is pushed after the loops by the rear of the train... almost a woodie feel...

They are not bad at all... give them a chance !

I think the layout is brilliant, but some of them were constructed poorly. That and train design is somewhat flawed. Most SLC's have a "special seat" -- where you can get a particularly smooth ride. SFA's is the very LAST row.

The roughest SLC's I've ridden were SFA's Mind Eraser, PCW's Top Gun, and SFAW's Serial Thriller. El Condor and T2 are rough, but I like them a lot for some reason!

I've only been on one: Thunderhawk at Geauga Lake. In 2004 that thing was glass smooth. Went on it for the first time this year and couldn't hear anything for a few minutes after getting off it hurt so bad. For some reason I ended up riding it five times this year, all with the same result.

The reason they're rough is the trains, because they can sway a little bit back and forth. If they fixed the trains, they'd be a LOT smoother.

I've been on four different SLCs, each with varying degrees of success.

Blue Tornado (Gardaland) - Excellent! The best I've been on!

Traumatizer (Southport) - Not bad, but not very good.

El Condor (Walibi World) - I wasn't looking forward to it. And I was right. This hurt!

Jubilee Odyssey (Fantasy Island) - One of the worst rides ever created. End of story!

Blue Tornado (Gardaland) - Excellent! The best I've been on!

Yes! I totally agree on that. I voted 'NO' overall for the question of crappiness of these rides, simply because of my awesome experience on this particular installation.

For anyone who doesn't know, "Blue Tornado" is a mildly aviation themed coaster with a really clean blue and white colour scheme. A large amount of the track is supported over a suspiciously blue pond from which little jets create a thick mist for the train to plunge in and out from.

I don't remember it being too rough apart from going through the rolls, and I even remember getting some really great airtime dipping down from the diving turn!

Also, the additional helix is very fast and close to the floor. Very cool touch!

So, personally I'm quite thankful for these 'cheap' option Vekoma coasters. It allows small parks to finally break into the big scene and attract the attention that'll allow them to expand further.

I don't think half the privately owned parks in Europe would have become half as good were it not for their of-the-shelf Vekomas!

Cerberus

Cerberus wrote:

So, personally I'm quite thankful for these 'cheap' option Vekoma coasters. It allows small parks to finally break into the big scene and attract the attention that'll allow them to expand further.

There ya go. You hit the nail on the head. Parks know these SLC's and Boomerangs aren't the best quality, but they're cheaper and quicker than B&M's, yet they get the same attention and they have the same draw.

Adventure World built Mind Eraser in 1995 and the park saw a 25% increase in attendance that season. That's an amazing accomplishment. You can thank Mind Eraser for Six Flags America and Superman and Batwing and so on.

The only SLC I have been on is Great Nor'Easter at Morey's Piers and although I thought it was a little rough, overall I thought it was a good ride. I prefer B&M inverts but I would ride any SLC I see as long as the line wasn't too bad 9that's if I get to other parks with them).

I have yet to have a good experience on one of these. I do like all the close calls they put into the layout but the pounding my head takes from the ride isn't worth it.

Also I have noticed that the SLC's seem to be smooth in some seats and terrible in others.