SLC'S?

Are they really?...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

Are they really that bad?

Total votes : 0

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: SLC'S?

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 pm

^ Oh okay, cool. Sorry about that. I was so used to so many standard versions of the SLC,
this felt like it was a custom made layout, etc. Thanks for the correction. :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LeoBruz199 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Just noticed that this thread exists, so I'm just gonna give my two cents on this.

I've only been on two SLC's ever: Infusion and Blue Tornado. So far they are my bottom two coasters to date, mainly because I can't say that I've really come across any other "bad" roller coasters. I mean- I've never come across a bad Pinfari or Zamperla (or any other bad Italian manufacturer to speak of), the only woodies I've ever ridden are the ones at Blackpool, and out of the two Boomerangs I've ridden, one was "relatively" recent (Al Shallal's Boomerang, 2004), and the other had vest restraints, so they weren't all bad.

I think the layout would have been great, if only during the ride you weren't completely distracted by the SLC's major obvious flaw, which is their roughness, and honestly, with the direction New Vekoma has been taking in recent years I do honestly hope they remake the SLC with the same layout with their newer track style alongside some custom-made kicka$$ layouts. I've heard good things about their latest SLC's that have been made, like Mayan and the newly retracked TGNE but I haven't been on them yet, so I can't say anything without blatantly assuming what the ride would be like without riding it.

Bottom line, I think the SLC is really great on paper, the thing is because Old Vekoma poorly executed it, it's received a boatload of hate, which I can't say is not deserved, for the most part at least.
Oh well, I guess I won't be riding any coasters any time soon... Within the next 10 minutes anyways. :airtime: :airtimer:

Best: Katun & iSpeed - Mirabilandia, Formula Rossa - Ferrari World, Oblivion - The Black Hole - Gardaland, Stealth - Thorpe Park

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm

In spite of having ridden almost 250 roller coasters, I have only ridden two SLC's. But one of them is at my home park. (SFDK). It is usually bad, but it can be enjoyable on occasion if I ride at the right time. I have also ridden Mind Eraser at SFA, which is also bad.

In terms of other bad coasters, I would consider New York New York in Las Vegas to be about on par with an SLC, or a giant Arrow looper on a bad day. If you really want to ride a bad coaster, try a Pinfari looper. I rode the now defunct one in Portland, and that thing made we wish I was riding an SLC. I am excited it has been replaced with a Eurofighter.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Until recently riding the New England one, my two were SFA's Mind Eraser and The Great Nor'easter -- the latter back when it was pink or first painted orange and ran great, somehow going into warp speed as soon as the sun went down. At the time, it was a very hard experience to beat and the view over the ocean late at night there is not something many settings can match. The main coasters were still Arrows, woodies etc. and by that standard the SLC was amazing. Of course B&M actually beat Vekoma to market with their inverted but there weren't many of them yet and the wait times were high. I loved my first ride on Batman at Great Adv. but it wasn't until after Alpengeist was a couple years old that B&M indulgence really could become a repeatable experience.

Looking at the SLC now it doesn't fare so well but I think it's important to keep in perspective the timing of its appearance and the scene back then. I do wonder if it would considered much better if they had only built 1 of them (especially if it was more like the later ones they actually made). I do still ride them and wouldn't call them the roughest (maybe the most "shaking like a nervous little dog"), but most of them don't run fast enough to be exciting enough either. Some of those salt-encrusted rails with condensing humidity rides at Morey's seemed to transcend roughness. It was awesome.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 am

Whenever I think of an SLC, it reminds me of this video, listen to the rider's reaction at the end of the ride when the train hits the brakes.
There is the biggest sigh of relief from the riders, its hilarious!!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am

Having spent summer after summer of most of my life in Wildwood I've ridden The Great Nor'easter hundreds of times, and honestly... always loved it. I just didn't know any better. Then I started branching out to other parks and riding actual good coasters like B&Ms and Intamins, and then I realized how crappy TGNE was - and it was the last few years - but then they fixed it and its fairly awesome again. Being built right on the ocean with the drop overlooking that and then all the waterpark bits built into and around the ride creating all the near-misses makes it my fave of the three I've ridden.

The other two are the two Mind Erasers at SFA and SFNE. The one @ SFA we rode in the back and it was fine. Knowing the layout makes it easy to anticipate whats coming and I didn't think it was terrible. That was on my first visit to SFA, my second visit we skipped it because who gives a sh*t lol. We rode the one @ SFNE last year with the newer trains and it was also fine.

I get why people don't like SLCs but my experiences have been mostly ok-to-not bad.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 pm

I've had few experiences at SLCs that were actually fun... maybe it's from knowing (or taking a good guess) on how to position myself as a way to minimize pain. BUT back in 2015 I rode the one at Canada's Wonderland and holy crap. It beat the sh*! out of me so bad. If it wasn't so shocking and painful, it would have been funny. Up til that point I always said to my friends "nah... I like SLCs, and I prefer them to B&M." Well, not after that one! Maybe my good rides on them in the past were flukes, or after they had a tune-up or something.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 pm

If they have the new Vekoma trains, they're actually really fun coasters. I can actually appreciate the intense layout if my skull isn't being bashed into smithereens.

But if you give me a SLC with the original trains and those bulky OSTRs, it's not an enjoyable experience.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Walibi Holland & Slagharen

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Dombot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:46 am

I've only been on one as of writing this (Twisted Typhoon at Wild Adventures) and it wasn't half bad. A little bit of headbanging during the first inversion and the double inline twist, but it wasn't the worst coaster I've ever been on.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby fraroc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 am

I dont know if this counts as a SLC, but I've been on Stinger a few times. I didn't find it to be that horrific of a ride, in fact, when I went on it one year during Haunt, it gave a pretty cool night ride. However, the bulky restraints did make the experience seem more confining as opposed to the roomy and comfortable vest restraints. It does make you feel like if you have to ride an old Vekoma coaster, you'd rather ride Sidewinder, because at least that ride has comfy restraints that make the ride go from painful to fun.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!