Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby texcoaster » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Looking at this shot on Screamscape today
http://www.screamscape.com/html/sfot_3.htm
It appears that the additional support for the overbanked turns might not be buttresses on the outside of the turn, but rather ties back into the center of the turn. This is the same technique used on the Boardwalk Bullet to be able to push the track right to the edge of the lot without having structure go out into the bay or into the road (or the Starbucks!)
Looking at the steel supports for the overbanked portion, it looks like the track could end up being enclosed inside the structure kinda like the flying carpet used to be. That would be beyond awesome.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby rcfreak417 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

http://www.guidetosfot.com/features/giantreinvented/

The last picture on the October 2nd update makes me think that there may still be a double helix. The trip reports from Lone Star Coasterthon indicated the first loop of the helix would be a dive into a low to the ground turn. That looks like the 2nd leg of the helix (the outer leg), which would be awesome. Any thoughts?

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:46 pm

^Your link doesn't work.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KCForce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm

^ It did just work for me. Try it again and see. :)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:17 pm

rcfreak417 wrote:http://www.guidetosfot.com/features/giantreinvented/

The last picture on the October 2nd update makes me think that there may still be a double helix. The trip reports from Lone Star Coasterthon indicated the first loop of the helix would be a dive into a low to the ground turn. That looks like the 2nd leg of the helix (the outer leg), which would be awesome. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure those supports are for the first helix. At LCST, you could tell that the track will dive through the lift structure to a low-level turn, but then rise up dramatically in order to fly over the lift hill. I think that's what you're seeing in that picture.

I looked as best I could for any evidence of a second helix looparound, but didn't see one. When one of the folks asked the maintenance guy if the layout would be different, he said, "Yes." When asked if the finale would remain as it was before, he said, "no comment." He also gave the NC response to questions about whether the track would be shorter than the original layout, what the trains looked like, and pretty much every other question he was asked.

One of the few answers he gave was in response to "how much does that magnetic brake (that he had on display) cost?" to which he replied, "a LOT."

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Coaster Mike » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Am I the only one drooling at every one of those construction shots? Wow, this is going to be terrific! I can't wait to see if other parks jump onboard and renovate coasters with this technique... *that's your turn Cedar Point!*

BrandonR wrote:The track is painted (rust protection there). And the ledgers appear to be galvanized or have some kind of anti-corrosion coating (rust protection there).

I believe the ledgers are treated the same way that coasters like The Voyage are (supportwise).
(Avatar and sig photographs by me)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby RandallDuell » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 pm

I believe I have read most of this thread, but am curious if this is truly the first ever attempt at this sort of retrofit/upgrade? Has any other old wood coaster been upgraded in this manner?

I'm guessing not, but what a unique way to breathe life back into an old structure -- although it does seem like quite a bit of money/planning/effort must have gone into utilizing the existing structure vs starting with a blank slate. Perhaps that additional cost is offset by the marketing/PR possibilities made possible by it being a redesign of a "Texas Classic"?

Looks almost fake, when you look through all of the pictures - here's to hoping that there aren't a ton of growing pains once it opens!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm

^The closest thing I can think of is the conversion of wood to steel of Seabreeze's Bobsleds coaster.

Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:52 pm

^ good call, I had forgotten about that. Let's hope that the Giant reno turns out a bit smoother than the Bobsled did!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Coaster Mike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm interested to see who will be the next one to adopt this style of renovation. Another one of the SF chain? Cedar Fair? I'd really like to see some other coasters redone this way, namely Son of Beast. How about reinstalling that loop!
(Avatar and sig photographs by me)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!