Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:50 am

A.J. wrote:The big question is, what will happen to the ride when the steel starts to rust?

Great pictures, BTW.

That's what paint is for? I don't get the question..

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 am

What will happen when the wood starts to rot?

What will happen when the trains get dirty?

What will happen when [fill in the blank]?

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 am

cfc wrote:What will happen when the wood starts to rot?

What will happen when the trains get dirty?

What will happen when [fill in the blank]?

Ducks fly together?

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby rcfreak417 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:08 pm

I really think that if all works out as planned, the new Texas Giant will be one of the most intense, highly ranked steel coasters. It's layout is more unique than most true steel coasters, and it looks like it has a great mix of both negative and positive G's.

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm

What will happen when the river finally decides to flood the entire park and it looks like Six Flags New Orleans?

With that important question aside, my only experience on Texas Giant was bone bruising and back breaking so I am seriously excited for this new coaster to finally open. That first drop looks insane and the rest of the ride looks like some quality airtime will be experienced.

Great pictures!

Jimmy "Splash down would be freaking awesome!" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 pm

JimmyBo wrote:What will happen when the river finally decides to flood the entire park and it looks like Six Flags New Orleans?

Jimmy "Splash down would be freaking awesome!" Bo

One of the locals at the park Saturday said that the creek levels have been much higher after a rain ever since they built the Cowboy's stadium just upstream. It seems that a lot of land that used to help soak up the water is now parking lot.

That's probably true, since the flooding Saturday seemed quite abnormally high for the amount of rain that day. I've been at SFOT on rainy days before, but never saw the creek flood as quickly as it did this weekend.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Synshine » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:04 pm

texcoaster wrote:
One of the locals at the park Saturday said that the creek levels have been much higher after a rain ever since they built the Cowboy's stadium just upstream. It seems that a lot of land that used to help soak up the water is now parking lot.

Parking lots produce a lot of water run off in even moderate rainfall, and I have a sneaking suspicion they possibly drain storm water their lots right into the creek rather than a storm water management pond. (Or supposing there is a pond, it's far too shallow and it's overflowing too quickly.)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BrandonR » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 am

A.J. wrote:The big question is, what will happen to the ride when the steel starts to rust?

Great pictures, BTW.

And you're thinking it's going to corrode any more than a typical steel coaster because...?

The track is painted (rust protection there). And the ledgers appear to be galvanized or have some kind of anti-corrosion coating (rust protection there).

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 am

BrandonR wrote:

Great pictures, BTW.

And you're thinking it's going to corrode any more than a typical steel coaster because...?

The track is painted (rust protection there). And the ledgers appear to be galvanized or have some kind of anti-corrosion coating (rust protection there).

The ledgers are galvanized according to SFOT management, mentioned at Coasterthon last weekend. They were waiting for the last batch of them to be delivered after being galvanized, but "nearly all" the track was on site.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby GeorgeT » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:21 pm

These are probably the most promising construction pics I`ve EVER seen in this forum. That ride will be a total blast if my eyes don`t fool me. Congrats to all of you who live somewhat close to that thing...

George "being totally jealous" T.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!